Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Model Railroading > Running DCC and DCC sound locos on DC layout

Date: 02/15/19 19:22
Running DCC and DCC sound locos on DC layout
Author: UP951West

My model train club has a DC layout and another which is DCC .
Can I safely operate DCC and DCC/sound locos on the DC layout ? How can I get sound out of DCC/ sound locos running on a DC layout if it's safe to do so ? THANKS. --Kelly

Date: 02/15/19 21:04
Re: Running DCC and DCC sound locos on DC layout
Author: RioGrandeFan

While tecnically you can run a DCC sound locomotive on DC, I wouldn't recommend it. I have seen sound decoders fry on DC for one.

Other issues:
1)Unless it is a QSI decoder, Tsunami and ESU decoders will take a lot more voltage for the sound to even kick on and then even more to then move. The locomotives will also run quite a bit slower than they would on DCC. Think at least half as slow possibly even slower even with the DC voltage at 12-14 volts. You also don't want to exceed 16 volts on some sound decoders, and 18 volts on others or the smoke will for sure come out. 

2) You will only get the prime mover sound. It will idle and it will rev up and down. There is no provision to control the horn, bell, or any other sounds. Some Tsunami decoders can automatically blow two horns for forward and three for reverse and if you quickly spike the voltage up and back down will trigger the grade crossing horn sequence. I don't know if the TS2's do this. ESU decoders have no provision for DC control of any sounds other than the prime mover on DC. 

Having been involved with DCC for 18 years, my overall rule of thumb is DCC equipped locomotives are for DCC rails, and DC locomotives are for DC rails. Trying to mix the two is just asking for trouble. Since your club has both a DCC layout and a DC layout, just run your DCC sound locomotives on the DCC layout. Maybe get another non-sound pair set up for DC for the DC layout.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 02/16/19 06:36
Author: WrongWayMurphy

RGFan is correct, but a couple more things to know.

Most recent decoders are dual mode, capable of DCC and DC operation. Some work better than
others. Broadway Ltd. dual mode decoders work fairly well on DC, others not so well.  A lot of DCC
guys such as myself, turn off analog mode (DC) via CV 29 so if you have one with decoder that won’t run,
analog is probably off.  You won’t hurt the decoder in DC but generally speaking, it will not run as smoothly,
motor will run hotter and draw more current than on DCC.  An older DCC decoder on DC will run really poorly
and you could easily fry the decoder.  Don’t do that if not not a dual mode decoder.

As for the sound, you will need a sound box of some kind, Broadway and others make them, to operate sounds
on DC.  I wouldn’t waste my hard earned money on one, but you could use that and operate bell, horn, etc.  otherwise
sounds will not work on DC.  

Most DC packs won’t exceed 16 VDC but you want to monitor that and make sure you don’t exceed 16 volts. Above that
and you risk frying the decoder, even a dual mode one.

Bottom line, I recommend run DC engines on the DC layout only, and DCC decoder equipped lokies on DCC layout.

Shane Murphy, President
Texas & Gulf Rwy.
Tyler, Tex.

Date: 02/16/19 19:55
Author: UP951West

Thank you , Rio Grande Fan and Wrong Way Murphy for your knowledge on this subject  !! --UP 951 West   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds