Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Model Railroading > JMRI/SPROG ESU LokSound V5.0 ScaleTrains question

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 03/19/19 05:18
JMRI/SPROG ESU LokSound V5.0 ScaleTrains question
Author: grandeguy

Hello,

I recieved my ScaleTrains SP SD40T-2 Motor yesterday.................................went to test it with my Sprog/JMRI setup which works with my previous Loksound V4.0 equipped Motors. Did a identify function and got no response. When I put it on the test track I could get the Prime Mover to start up but no other functions to work. Im curious if the latest realease of JMRI supports LokSound V5 Decoders? Im at version 4.11. Any help is as always appreciated.

Regards, Dave Dane

Date: 03/19/19 05:47
Re: JMRI/SPROG ESU LokSound V5.0 ScaleTrains question
Author: BlackWidow

I have a fairly recent version of JMRI (don't remember the version number, but I downloaded it about 2 months ago) and it did not have ESU v5 decoders in it.  I told JMRI it was a ESU v4 decoder.  I only adjusted sound levels, and it worked for that.

Date: 03/19/19 07:31
Author: fbe

The Europeans want you to buy their ESU Lok Programmer. They have no interest in playing well with others. For the cost of a decoder you can get a programming device which ESU knows will work on their decoders rather than them trying to guess if the JMRI software and hardware is going to work.

That's the brave new world out there so just go out right now and buy the Lok Programmer and upgrade it's software so it will work with V5.0 decoders and get used to learning 2 systems of programming.

Date: 03/19/19 07:54
Author: hogheaded

Myself, I kinda like "Europeans".

EO

Date: 03/19/19 08:27

Has anyone checked with Scale Trains and ESU to see if the specific file for the ST SP SD40T-2 is available for download to install?

That should have been installed at the ST factory before shipping but stuff happens. If you buy a nonsound unit then purchase your own Lok Sound decoder you will need to download this file. If you decide to go with Soundtraxx you will need to see if you can decipher all the wiring connections work out and how you can get enough resistors installed for the leds.

Date: 03/19/19 08:45

Lok Programmer software is up to 4.7.0 and 4.7.1. The latter includes files to work with the newest decoders on Walthers and Scale Trains locomotives but doesn't specify if these are V5.0 or V4.0 decoders.

If anyone talks to Matt about your new ST tunnel motors could you please let us know.

Date: 03/19/19 09:01
Author: dh1205

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lok Programmer software is up to 4.7.0 and 4.7.1.
> The latter includes files to work with the newest
> decoders on Walthers and Scale Trains locomotives
> but doesn't specify if these are V5.0 or V4.0
> decoders.
>
> If anyone talks to Matt about your new ST tunnel
> motors could you please let us know.

The LokProgrammer software is up to 5.0.4. I have been told you need at least 5.0.0 in order to use the programmer with the V5.  I have not had any problems getting files that aren't on their website yet.  Just shoot them an email and they will usually send you the file. 

Date: 03/19/19 09:17

I got the 4.7. info right off the ESU FAQ page. I guess I need to dig deeper and try it again. It seems I will be getting some Walthers GP9 low nose units tomorrow, wonder what ESU decoders they are coming with?

Date: 03/19/19 09:43

If you go to ESU's download page, they have 5.0.4 on there.  I believe the Walthers Mainline locomotives come with a cheaper ESU decoder.  I'm not sure what it's called, but I know ESU does not sell it separately. 

Date: 03/19/19 10:08

I saw the new name starting with an m I believe but it hasn't locked into the grey matter yet. My first thought is it is a simplified decoder and cheaper to manufacturers to include in the locomotive models. There may be fewer features but each mfr will not need to make the software so much brand specific.

Date: 03/19/19 10:18

Sure enough if you go to NEW or PRODUCTS and refresh those pages all you can find are 4.7.0 and 4.7.1. Now go to downloads and software you get 4.7.2 and others including 5.0.2 and 5.0.4.

Why so much confusion? Does anyone do a flow chart for the website?

Date: 03/19/19 10:27
Author: ChrisCampi

fbe Wrote:
> Sure enough if you go to NEW or PRODUCTS and
> refresh those pages all you can find are 4.7.0 and
> 4.7.1. Now go to downloads and software you get
> 4.7.2 and others including 5.0.2 and 5.0.4.
>
> Why so much confusion? Does anyone do a flow chart
> for the website?

Ive spent hours on their website and also feel its setup poorly.

Date: 03/19/19 10:55
Author: RioGrandeFan

Yes ESU's website is a bit of a pain but you should always go to the Downloads Page and then Firmware and Software for the latest version of the LokProgrammer Software. There are now four retail files posted for the V5 decoders. One OEM file which of couse isn't either of the Scale Trains OEM files which really doesn't make sense. I talked with Shane at the Denver show and encouged him to post his files on his site and he said he would look into it. You might be able to get the Dash 9 and Tunnel Motor files directly from them. 

ESU USA is very big a supporter of JMRI Decoder Pro. Matt supplied Dave Heap with a lot of code to help him build the ESU decoder sheets to be more like the LokProgrammer software. The V5 is very new and not even available on the retail market yet so it is likely that the JMRI programmers have not had a chance to do anything with it. This is likely why it hasn't been added to Decoder Pro yet. Be patient people! There are only 2 locomotives in the USA with V5's installed at this point. Programming software doesn't happen overnight, especially with the incredibly large amount of new features and CV's the V5's have.  

Note too that you can use the LokProgrammer software WITHOUT the LokProgrammer. Of course having the actual sound file from the locomotive you're working with helps A LOT when making changes, the software has the ability to allow you to make changes and then in the Tools menu is "Show Changed CVs". You get a list of CV's to change with your DCC system.

Yes in my opinion the V5 rollout was botched quite a bit by ESU Germany. They have very clearly focused the V5 for the German market and sort of made the USA side an afterthought. At least it feels that way. The V5's were also pushed on manufacturers a bit quickly as well. The abrupt end to the components for the V4 and Select seems to have happened before ESU was really ready for it to. The transition from the V4 to the V5 has been anything but seemless and it looks like there could be a lengthy gap in-between. While the V5 DCC 8-pin and V5 DCC 21-pin are imminent, "Next Week" has been thrown around now by ESU for the last 2 weeks supposedly waiting on Quick Start Guides, the Micros are delayed with no ETA. This affects the V5 DCC Direct as well as the V5 DCC Micro 8-pin. 

The documentation is lacking, and seems no English manual is on the horizon. I tried to translate the German version but it was taking too long and I gave up. Plus the translations weren't coming out very good. The German manual is also very much focused on the German version of the V5, not the USA version of the V5 called "V5 DCC". 

Overall as a die-hard ESU fan this really sucks as this V5 rollout could have gone a heck of a lot smoother. These things that I have observed are only from an outsider's perspective. ESU really should come out with something publically to address some of the issues. 

For me I'll wait it out as I looked at what both SoundTraxx and TCS have to offer and neither can compete with what ESU has. Neither has the sound library variety that ESU has. The little bit I've messed with the V5, it is stellar. You get smooth motor control in 14, 28, and 128 speed step modes! You aren't forced into 128 speed step mode like other sound decoder manufacturers recommend.....

Lee Ryan
Denver, CO 

Date: 03/19/19 11:08
Author: SPDRGWfan

Lee, thanks for the update. 

I purchased two of the new tunnel motors but won't be able to start building a layout probably until some time this summer.  So all my equipment is on the shelves for now work on finishing about 700 sq ft of basement.
Hopefully Matt Herman will get things together in the next few months so all these V5 users will have better support.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 03/19/19 12:30
Author: icancmp193

Can avoid all of this anguish by staying with DC...just sayin'.

TJY

Date: 03/19/19 12:54
Author: tiltone

Do you drive a car or want to ride a bike thats the diffrence

Date: 03/19/19 12:55
Author: brfriedm

Dear TJY,

Your embarassing yourself.  Please don't come on these posts when u know they are DCC. DCC is amazing. Thanks Bruce

icancmp193 Wrote:
> Can avoid all of this anguish by staying with
> DC...just sayin'.
>
> TJY

Date: 03/19/19 14:08

Lee,

If I do the 5.0.4 will that include all the upgrades since my last upgrade or do I need to go back and do every single upgrade I have not done yet to make the Lok Programmer ready to accept 5.0.4?

Thanks.

Date: 03/19/19 15:32

You can upgrade straight to 5.0.4

Date: 03/19/19 16:23

That is great news so I think I will jump right on the upgrade. After years and years of computer firmware and software upgrades it was always miserable to find something which could be only done one step at a time.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds