Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Model Railroading > ScaleTrains SD40T-2 Decoder

Date: 04/01/19 06:50
ScaleTrains SD40T-2 Decoder
Author: BlackWidow

I now have 2 SD40T-2s.  One with the factory the decoder, the other without.  Any ideas for what decoder to install?  If the ESU LokSound v5 were available, I would install it.  But apparently it is not.  I can wait for that to be generally available, but if anyone has installed another 21 pin decoder, please let me know your experience with it.  The instructions indicate that 21 pin decoders other than the ESU v5 might not work properly with the class lights.  Does anyone have evidence one way or the other about that?

Date: 04/01/19 07:25
Re: ScaleTrains SD40T-2 Decoder
Author: fbe

The decoder you install will need to be programmed with a specific program to get all the whiz bang features from Scale Trains to work. This will be the same program Scale Trains installed in their factory production. This means it is for a Lok sound V5.0 decoder. There is probably also one for a Lok pilot non sound decoder. Eventually you will be able to download the file from ESU. Whether or not these files will work for ESU V4.0 decoders you will need to ask Scale Trains.

Your best bet is to order the sound or nonsound ESU V5.0 decoder from Scale Trains and ask them to program it for their tunnel motors you purchased. If you purchase a 21 pin decoder from another manufacturer your models will run but all lighting beyond the headlights will be something you will need to program using various CVs you may need to figure out on your own. Perhaps ST will provide which lighting functions the light wires are connected to. Maybe some user on the internet will figure it out and post it for us all to see. Maybe you can use a Lok programmer to decipher the connections from the decoder on the tunnel motor wou have which is sound equipped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/19 07:47 by fbe.

Date: 04/01/19 19:57
Author: RioGrandeFan

According to ESU the LokSound 5 decoders should have started shipping to dealers today. It will likely take a few weeks before most of them have them in stock as ESU is shipping them in "order date" order. 

I would just use the ESU LokSound 5 decoder as it is what is designed to work with the locomotive. Scale Trains will e-mail you the LokSound 5 file for your locomotive if you have a LokProgrammer you can write it to the decoder. I asked and they e-mailed the files to me for my units and told me that they freely provide them to anyone who asks. Just ask.

If you don't have a LokProgrammer....well my recommendation would be to get one! It will pay for itself very quickly as most manufacturers use ESU decoders and it works for ALL ESU decoders. It makes programming CV's easier in addition to being able to do firmware and feature updates as well as complete sound file re-writes. Of course if you use a Mac (the LokProgrammer software only works for Windows machines) or if you don't have, or plan to have, a lot of LokSound equipped units, Scale Trains will eventually be able to sell you a pre-programmed decoder for your locomotive. Several dealers who sell LokSound may also be able to write the file to a decoder if you can get the Scale Trains file to them.

Of course I can do it too as I have 4 LokProgrammers but then again I'm a LokSound geek!

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/02/19 07:26
Author: stevenlsilva

Digatrax MT166D

Date: 04/02/19 09:53

I don't find this model decoder on the digitrax.com website. There is a DH166MT which is a 21 pin decoder. It is nonsound and I do not know if it's 'configurable logic' will give you the three color class lights or even any class lights at all.

It will certainly give you throttle and headlight functions. A call to digitrax or the Digitrax support might give you the answers. Otherwise the Lok pilot V5.0 with the Scale Train files is the way to go.

stevenlsilva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Digatrax MT166D

Date: 04/02/19 18:01

One stated advantage in the decoder instructions is the decoder is programmable using Digitrax throttles so there is no need to buy an ESU Lok programmer. This may work if you own few locomotives with ESU decoders. Given the way the market is going I agree with Lee Ryan it is probably inevitable you will buy the programmer for about the price of a top sound decoder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/19 18:03 by fbe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1108 seconds