Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for a 4014 bigboy. Question on DC/DCC.

Date: 05/13/19 17:25
Looking for a 4014 bigboy. Question on DC/DCC.
Author: MJV1988

Ok forgive me please if this has been posted before but I need to figure this out. I've been out of the loop for a bit. So I have my eyes on a newer rivarossi big boy because I basically don't want to shell out $6-800 for a 4014 bigboy from BLI/Athearn or whoever else. All of the HO engines I own are older DC equipment from the 90's and early 00's. Will this Rivarossi big boy p/n's (635-HR2637) or newer model (635-HR2753) work on a DC layout? Or is this only available to work on DCC layout/controls? I really would like to own a 4014 HO engine to go with my other UP steamers but do not want to get or convert to DCC stuff if I don't need to. Opinions please!

Thanks

Posted from Android

Date: 05/13/19 21:02
Re: Looking for a 4014 bigboy. Question on DC/DCC.
Author: fbe

Some newer DCC locomotives will read a DC control on DC track and perform well. It will not perform well with pure DC units due to the constant intensity and directional headlights.

One solution is to purchase a newer Rivarossi Big Boy then remove the decoder and the lighting circuits. Connect the right track wire to the orange motor wire. The left track wire goes to the grey motor wire. You can install 12v track voltage lighting or install circuits for directional lighting and leds.

Any of the older Rivarossi Big Boys which are pure DC may have oversize flanges which will not run on smaller than code 100 rail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/19 23:03 by fbe.

Date: 05/14/19 08:28
Author: fbe

If you want the led directional wiring but DC motor control you might be able to connect the motor wires directly to the track wires where they connect to the decoder.

Rivarossi is found on the HornbyUSA website. Rivarossi had dumped their line of US HO models already.

Date: 05/14/19 10:41
Author: MJV1988

Just out of curiosity the BLI/Athearn models of 4014 are strictly DCC correct?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/14/19 11:04
Author: sarailfan

Anything with a DCC decoder in it is supposed to run on straight DC as it comes from the factory. You do risk damaging the decoder by doing so, and the DC (or analog) mode can be turned off in programming on a DCC system.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 05/14/19 12:57
Author: BlackWidow

The BLI Paragon 3 Big Boy can run on DC.

Date: 05/14/19 22:04
Author: CliftonRailMuseum

You better have a good sized layout. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds