Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Model Railroading > The way trains should look!

Date: 06/04/19 19:05
The way trains should look!
Author: Santafes95

I finally got off my tail and bought a B unit to go with my Lionel A units. Obviously I am going to need another soon to make an ABBA consist. Shot it with my Stewart Pair. The way God intended trains to look!

Date: 06/04/19 20:48
Re: The way trains should look!
Author: atsf121

Amen!

Date: 06/04/19 22:01
Author: MojaveBill

Yes!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/05/19 02:25
Author: SeaboardMan

Wonder which paint scheme is correct?

Date: 06/05/19 06:25
Author: jejhnsn

Both. Do some research.

Date: 06/05/19 08:23
Author: BAB

Nice  a friend at O Scale West was selling hins ABBA set of O Scale units if I had that scale would have brought all four home. Always thought those SF units were a mark that never will be surpassed in history.

Date: 06/05/19 09:00

I’m not a Santa Fe guy so I don’t care, just thought there was only one version of how the red curved over the roof.
John

jejhnsn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both. Do some research.

Date: 06/05/19 09:11
Author: PHall

SeaboardMan Wrote:
> I’m not a Santa Fe guy so I don’t care, just
> thought there was only one version of how the red
> curved over the roof.
> John

Nope, there were a number of variations both from EMD/ALCO and from the Santa Fe itself.

>
> jejhnsn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Both. Do some research.

Date: 06/05/19 10:47
Author: tehachapifan

What kind of reply is "do some research"? Last I checked, this is a railroad discussion forum and, as a result, itself is a (pretty darn good) research source.

Date: 06/05/19 11:00
Author: SPDRGWfan

tehachapifan Wrote:
> What kind of reply is "do some research"? Last I
> checked, this is a railroad discussion forum and,
> as a result, itself is a (pretty darn good)
> research source.

Typical it seems.  Occasionally I get the same unhelpful response too. 

The google it yourself or do your own research types of comments are as old as internet forums are and should be universally against the rules.  

Date: 06/05/19 12:19

Thank you Mr Hall.
john

Date: 06/05/19 13:19
Author: BoilingMan

Asking a question on TO kinda IS doing research, don't you think?
SR

Date: 06/05/19 15:26

Aye.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/05/19 17:35
Author: atsf121

BoilingMan Wrote:
> Asking a question on TO kinda IS doing research,
> don't you think?
> SR

Agreed. Google us only so good.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/05/19 18:01
Author: SantaFeRuss

tehachapifan Wrote:
> What kind of reply is "do some research"? Last I
> checked, this is a railroad discussion forum and,
> as a result, itself is a (pretty darn good)
> research source.

I Agree tehachapifan. We have some real "live" ones on this form. Completely useless. Anyway about the two different Warbonnet contours both are correct but the HO version is more common. With that said Santa Fe's most common Warbonnet was a bit shorter as far as how far the bonnet went back on the side of the unit.Santa Fe.........All The Way!!!

SantaFeRuss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/19 18:05 by SantaFeRuss.

Date: 06/06/19 03:51

The red / silver war bonnet paint has always been popular and with good reason.  My first HO trainset came with a red/silver Santa Fe F unit, but sadly when I opened the box and tried to use it, it wouldn't run.  At around 8 years old, I didn't have the knowledge to open it up and check for loose wires so it went back.  That was the only war bonnet I ever had, and very short lived.

The Stewart F unit looks quite good although the O scale windshields appear to be about half as wide as they should be.

Date: 06/06/19 18:17
Author: DavidP

OK, I did some research and can’t find any documentation to confirm the Lionel version as prototypical.  The curvature of the lower part of the warbonnet is incorrect, and it crosses the vent grills at too steep an angle.  Have any other researchers found pictures that show otherwise?

Dave

Date: 06/07/19 04:01

Pictures or shens?

Date: 06/12/19 11:43
Author: Wildebeest

Santa Fe passenger F-units wore two different versions of the red "warbonnet."  The first poassenger F3s 16 through 21 were delivered in 1948 with a long warbonnet like the one on the HO model in the photo, with the back of the curved upper portion recahing back past the center of the fuel tank.  Subsequent deliveries of F3s and F7s had a warbonnet that only reached back only about as far as the gap between the fuel tankand the battery battery box.  While the early 16-class kept their long warbonnets after some other revisions to the side panels were completed, I believe they were eventaully all repatinted with the shorter warbonnet like the later deliveries.  The Lionel scheme is just a toy ttrain builder's loose approximation of the shorter warbonnet.

I did my research -- Santa Fe Modeler, Vol. 14 , No. 3, Fall 1991 (article by Lee Berglund). 

The simple solution to comments like "Do some reearch," are (1) just ignore them or (2) better yet, do some research!   But when respondents make commdents like that, it would help if they incliuded some references along with their remarks.

D F W

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0685 seconds