Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Model Railroading > HO Steam Chassis

Date: 07/07/19 22:20
HO Steam Chassis
Author: glengui4294

Hello TrainOrders Community,

I'm looking to scratch-build or kit-bash an HO logging steam locomotive with an 0-4-0 driver configuration.  Does anyone know where I could find a good running chassis upon which I could build my custom locomotive?  I don't mind working in brass, as long as it's not a super rough runner. 
  I've tried searching eBay for non-functioning loco's, generally sold for parts.  Bachmann has several loco chassis for sale, most are larger wheel bases.  This is the first time I've attempted to build a loco, I've scratch built cars, structures, turnouts, etc.  Does anyone have experience tackling a project like this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Date: 07/08/19 04:35
Re: HO Steam Chassis
Author: RichM

Three ideas, may be too much work to modernize and too toy-like, but...

Both Mantua /Tyco and Rivarossi/AHM sold a simplified model of a B&O dockside switcher... Mantua sold this is two versions, with ("Shifter") and without a tender ("Booster"), the AHM model had no tender. Both were 60's - '70's production, long before DCC was thought about, so there'd be isolation issues, as well as wheel flange sizes.

All were like Athearn Hustlers. probably made in the thousands, in starter trainsets, so there have to be some still kicking around... maybe a "practice" project?

Also, I believe Penn Line, then Bowser marketed a kit for the same prototype... may still be some parts available, particularly the running gear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/19 05:23 by RichM.

Date: 07/08/19 10:38
Author: miniempire

You can check with Bowser and see if they have any parts/chassis left for their Dockside.
https://www.bowser-trains.com/discontinued/hodiscontinuedlocodockside040.html

Brook

Date: 07/08/19 13:09
Author: CPR_4000

RichM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mantua /Tyco ... sold a
> simplified model of a B&O dockside switcher...
> Mantua sold this is two versions, with ("Shifter")
> and without a tender ("Booster"),... Both were 60's - '70's production,
> long before DCC was thought about, so there'd be
> isolation issues, as well as wheel flange sizes.

Didn't Tyco go to an RP25 wheel at some point?

Date: 07/08/19 17:44

Thanks for the ideas guys. 

I do have 2 Rivarossi Docksiders, both with open frame DC motors.  Frankly, they are pretty trashy locomotives.  Even after extensive cleaning and maintenance, they both run quite rough.  Also, the side rods are clearly just stamped from sheet metal, and look pretty bad.  I'd hate to put a lot of effort into a custom loco shell, just to have it sputter, stall or short every few seconds. 

The Bowser Dockside loco looks better, at least it has a can motor.  I'll see if I can find one, or at least some better pictures of the guts.

The Athearn Hustlers seems to be a 2 axle diesel.  I defiantly want a steam chassis.

The other option I'm looking at, is to get a x-6-x steam chassis and remove one of the driving axles.  The side rods would have to be set up such that the main cylinder powers the center drive axle, not the rear.  This would leave the rear axle relatively free to be removed.  But, I can imagine complications that might prevent this option from being viable.  hmmm...

Date: 07/08/19 19:41
Author: wabash2800

Personally, I would go with brass and upgrade the drive and the motor. Unfortunately, with the fate of a company in the air that specialized in that sort thing, it might require more homework.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/19 15:10 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/09/19 07:31
Author: Hartington

A Hornby or Bachmann UK chassis might work. This one Peckett is DCC ready but it's a pre-order. In any case you'll probably find it cheaper via someone like Hattons in Liverpool or Rails of Sheffield.

Date: 07/09/19 12:09

This B4 0-4-0 Loco is pretty close to what I am looking for. Thank you, 'Hartington', for pointing out Rails of Sheffield.  I didn't know they existed!  I'll keep my eye out for a used one, maybe one 'for parts' on eBay, or just buy a new one and start hacking away ;-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds