Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Another Hobby shop to close

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/14/19 16:26
Another Hobby shop to close
Author: Valleyman

Rogers Railroad Junction Hobby shop ( Lodi, CA.) just announced there closing! They always carried a good selection of HO and N items. Roger was a great model builder as well as one of the finest painters around. He’s in his late 80’s and his business had been for sale for quite sometime. No takers! Lodi Business district continues to attract high end stores which cause rents to Escalent. Everything is for sale including fixtures. The only two Hobby shops left east of San Francisco are Just Trains in Concord, CA and Roseville Hobbies. 

Valleyman

Date: 11/14/19 17:10
Re: Another Hobby shop to close
Author: TS735

Well this is disappointing but been a long time coming I suppose. I believe they’ve been for sale for years. It was and still is a quality model traIn shop in a great location but indeed the owners are getting up in years. I’ll miss them terribly but I can’t imagine trying to pay a mortgage, a car payment and raise kids off the income from a brick and morter model train shop these days.....

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Date: 11/14/19 17:37
Author: totrainyard

Things are no quite that grim.
Berkeley Ace Hardware still has a train dept.
Western Depot in Yuba City is a huge train store.
Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro still carries trains.
Loose Caboose in Napa is nice.
The best of all The Train Shop in Santa Clara is still all trains.
And these are just the ones I have been in.

Date: 11/14/19 18:34
Author: Valleyman

Nice list!  Now, should I list all the shops that have closed in the 20 years in the greater Bay Area! With the trend being what it is, what will your list look like In five years.

totrainyard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Things are no quite that grim.
> Berkeley Ace Hardware still has a train dept.
> Western Depot in Yuba City is a huge train store.
> Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro still carries
> trains.
> Loose Caboose in Napa is nice.
> The best of all The Train Shop in Santa Clara is
> still all trains.
> And these are just the ones I have been in.

Date: 11/15/19 04:52
Author: Atsf814

...glass half empty, half full. However you choose to look at it. 

Date: 11/15/19 11:20
Author: Santafes95

Explain to us how closing of hobby shops (which have been many announced on this site)  is supposed to be a good thing. it has nothing to do with perspective. 

Date: 11/15/19 13:01
Author: SD45X

Used to spend my paycheck there buying all the new Athearn SD45s and Sd45T-2s😂

Date: 11/16/19 15:10
Author: rapidotrains

Somebody commented on our YouTube channel today saying they want to get into the hobby and where should they start.

I suggested that they go to their nearest train store and talk to the man behind the counter to get some ideas.

It then occurred to me that their nearest train store may be 500 miles away.

While overall sales of high-end products like Rapido are still strong, we are preaching to the converted. I am very concerned that new people will not be able to get into the hobby if there are no model train stores left. Online browsing is one thing, but you can't get a better lesson in the hobby than by standing in a store with experienced modellers and talking to them.

I suppose there are still plenty of train shows, but it's not the same. A store can't bring its entire stock to a show.

-Jason

Date: 11/16/19 18:46
Author: Streamliner

WHERE are all of these YOUNG model railroad enthusiasts I keep hearing about???  There isn't an entrepreneurial ONE amongst them that would like to be the "man behind the counter" and take over this shop that could probably be had for pennies on the dollar?  No.  The younger generation has no gumption for taking over an "old school" business--no matter if the potential prospects are decent--they just want their quick fix, $7.00 lattes and free room & board at mommy & daddies house for the rest of their lives.  How in the world are we ever to expect these folks to actually BUILD a model railroad?  They much prefer the video version that they can play as they stand in line at Starbucks.

Date: 11/17/19 05:21
Author: rapidotrains

Streamliner Wrote:
> WHERE are all of these YOUNG model railroad
> enthusiasts I keep hearing about???  There isn't
> an entrepreneurial ONE amongst them that would
> like to be the "man behind the counter" and take
> over this shop that could probably be had for
> pennies on the dollar?  No.  The younger
> generation has no gumption for taking over an "old
> school" business--no matter if the potential
> prospects are decent--they just want their quick
> fix, $7.00 lattes and free room & board at mommy &
> daddies house for the rest of their lives.  How
> in the world are we ever to expect these folks to
> actually BUILD a model railroad?  They much
> prefer the video version that they can play as
> they stand in line at Starbucks.

As the parent of three young people, I can assure you that not everyone fits that stereotype... :-D 

My daughter, 12, relaxes by building miniatures. My seven year old will take apart and build anything and is chomping at the bit to start doing serious work on my layout. My 14 year old is too busy with school but loves running trains. And there are a whole bunch of millennials now working at Rapido who love model railroading.

I think the hobby shop industry is under tremendous strain, not so much because young people aren't interested, but because older people - who have always been the backbone of our hobby - are working longer and their kids are unable to get a well-paying, stable job so they can move out. As well, I know from my experience in the Toronto area that nobody middle class is buying a house in town or in the suburbs - they are stuck with mum and dad because they can't afford to move out. If my house were to sell today, it would go for more than double what we paid 12 years ago. I could not afford to buy my own house. 

The kids stuck at home - not because they want to but because they have no choice - is the single biggest impediment to growth in our hobby. Getting eight-year-olds into model trains is not a long-term growth plan for us. Getting more 50- and 60-year-olds into the hobby is. And if granddad is busy changing diapers or doing school/hockey/baseball runs for the grandkids because the kids are stuck doing contract work and have to work crazy hours to make ends meet, the granddad is not working on his hobby. Or if granddad can't retire because he's just borrowed $200,000 to help his kids with a downpayment on the $800,000 3-bedroom fixer-upper, he is also not working on his hobby.

These are my observations. Maybe it's different in the USA, but in Canada a lot of seniors have no choice but to keep working. Which means... less time for our hobby.

-Jason

Date: 11/17/19 08:45
Author: Auburnrail

While I agree with every thing that Jason said, I would like
to add an observation that seems obvious, but just isn't 
being done...Trade Schools and the return of Shop
classes in High School. The trades go begging for jobs...
here in California there are ongoing ads for plumbers and HVAC
experienced folks to come join various established firms. 
Also, if you're a certified or at least a trained
car or diesel mechanic....well, the jobs are waiting for you, and
these aren't the "gig economy" type of jobs...they're reliable
day-to-day type of jobs....you go to work every day, you come
home, and yes, you have some free time...maybe even
for a hobby. If you are a good IT guy, again, the jobs are there.k
All of these jobs pay well and offer advancement....
no 4 year degree and student loan required.
Converesley, if you got the wrong major in College, and a hefty
student loan, well then you may be stuck.
Lots of 20 year olds don't want to get their hands
dirty, and will continue to hope that somehow an easy
life style will somehow emerge from their phone. 
After raising 2 kids that are now in the trades and quite
self sufficient, I look back at the various choices they could
have made but didn't  and how it worked out.

George Andrassy 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/19 08:55 by Auburnrail.

Date: 11/17/19 09:07
Author: dan

Kids if they do get in the hobby are buying drones and doing trips,  think the midwesterners who got to grow up with trains  depots and friendly employees are gone.  Instead of creating minatrure physical realities stuck in a basement  during  long winters they are going orlando in the winter, skiing, riding the  jets, and playing

simulator games on their devices   Caboose hobbies in denver had a great location, and art students, other hobbies would even go there for supplies, now they are struggling, use it or loose it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/19 11:47 by dan.

Date: 11/17/19 10:49

George,

I could not agree more!

I have the fondest memories of wood, metal & even print shop, along with drafting and touch-typing in junior high.   In high school, I again did wood shop and then auto shop.  My first car, a 1956 Oldsmobile was not running when I got it, but I--all by myself--rebuilt the engine.  These classes were invaluable to me and the absence of them in our middle & high schools is a huge loss.

When kids go on to college and major in things like LGBTQ Studies, Cannabis Cultivation, Surfing Religion, Indigenous Peoples Studies, Music Therapy, Art History, Gender Identity, Hispanic Studies and other truly insane, time wasting studies, is it any mystery why they can't find a decent job?  My oldest grandson will graduate with a degree in engineering this spring.  The last two summers, he has worked as an intern at two, very large engineering firms, both of which are courting him, hoping he will accept their $100K+ starting salary offers.  He is 21.  He is in demand and probably always will be.  And unlike peers of his who are majoring in things like Gender Reassignment Issues of African Butterflies, he doesn't believe in safe spaces, trigger warnings or any of the other B.S. our children are indoctrinated with these days.  His parents taught him better.  They taught him right, wrong and values.

Not everyone is cut out to be an engineering student, I know I wasn't.  But the things my folks taught me, along with the shop classes I took, prepared me so I could leave my folk's home and set off on my own.

Hope you are all well,

Allen Drucker

Date: 11/17/19 11:19

Jason,

I will try to keep this as apolitical as possible, so we don't see our posts disappear.

Over the past 30 or so years, Canada and the USA have allowed millions of dirt poor, uneducated immigrants to flood into our countries, unchecked.  Their willingness to work for very low wages, has driven down blue collar incomes.  Native citizens of both countries, who were on the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder were pushed off the ladder completely.  With all of these new arrivals needing shelter--not to mention the millions of children they produce--it has caused a shortage of housing, thus driving prices up and up.  Investors seeing this, have been buying up single family homes and renting them out, causing prices to go even higher.  It is supply and demand on vivid display.   I won't even get into the strain on roads, transportation, sanitation, utilities, schools, healthcare and the list goes on and on.  Here in California, we never have enough water and now we have millions more living here who need it.

Many of those who have been pushed off the ladder become homeless and turn to drugs, very often easily obtained from some of those in our countries illegally.

If our governments continue to allow hoards of dirt poor, uneducated people to flood into our countries, things will only get worse.  And just what sort of jobs will all these folks be doing when so many more jobs are lost to robots and automation?  It cannot go on like this.

Hope you are all well,

Allen Drucker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/19 13:26 by Streamliner.

Date: 11/17/19 11:35
Author: goneon66

i seriously DOUBT that anybody who went into debt to receive a degree in "underwater b.b. stacking" will be one of those with either the ambition or ability to run a hobby shop.........

Date: 11/17/19 15:47
Author: SPDRGWfan

Allen Drucker + 100!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/17/19 20:54
Author: emd_mrs1

Seems a lot of people are relying on stereotyping of youth.... things have changed since the older generation was in school/college and could walk into a nice opportunity with decent wages and reasonable expenses.

Now?

No experience, no job. No one trains, its too expensive. They pay as little as possible and likely you wont see more than 32 hours so they dont have to pay benefits. Get sick? No paid sick time.

Many companies require you to have a car so you hopefully show up for work. That car is likely too complex for anyone to repair under the backyard shade tree and parts arent cheap. Car payment? about $300-700 a month.

Most "good" jobs require a degree. Sometimes it doesn't matter what field it is. The HR people have degrees so you should need one too. Want access to "better" jobs? better get a 4 year degree minimum and a masters too.

Need medical insurance? Its about $1000 a month.

Rent an apartment? maybe $800 - 1500 a month.

Cell phone? about $100 a month. It is no longer a luxury. Employers expect to be able to communicate with you when they want and expect you to have email, texting, and web access to view your schedules.

Military? sure, if you want to die for a politicians profits and be a slave for a few years.

Work for a railroad? get hired for training, get marked up then furloughed. Then laid off.

Trucking? get run to death and make maybe 50% of what they imply you will be making. Put up with revenue collections agents daily (got a light out? thats $250. Math error in your log book? $2500 fine. No load available? sleep in a parking lot for 3 days till they find something. And you pay for parking there)

Computer work? Most of it can be done for cents an hour in India.

Start a business like a hobby shop? better have plenty of money based on commercial rent. There is always a braiding salon or payday lender who will pay more for that storefront. Cheap rent? better be prepared for burglary losses.

Sorry my mood isnt the best today.
Michael

Date: 11/17/19 22:46
Author: SantaFeRuss

rapidotrains Wrote:
> Streamliner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WHERE are all of these YOUNG model railroad
> > enthusiasts I keep hearing about???  There
> isn't
> > an entrepreneurial ONE amongst them that would
> > like to be the "man behind the counter" and
> take
> > over this shop that could probably be had for
> > pennies on the dollar?  No.  The younger
> > generation has no gumption for taking over an
> "old
> > school" business--no matter if the potential
> > prospects are decent--they just want their
> quick
> > fix, $7.00 lattes and free room & board at mommy
> &
> > daddies house for the rest of their lives.
>  How
> > in the world are we ever to expect these folks
> to
> > actually BUILD a model railroad?  They much
> > prefer the video version that they can play as
> > they stand in line at Starbucks.
>
> As the parent of three young people, I can assure
> you that not everyone fits that stereotype...
> :-D 
>
> My daughter, 12, relaxes by building miniatures.
> My seven year old will take apart and build
> anything and is chomping at the bit to start doing
> serious work on my layout. My 14 year old is too
> busy with school but loves running trains. And
> there are a whole bunch of millennials now working
> at Rapido who love model railroading.
>
> I think the hobby shop industry is under
> tremendous strain, not so much because young
> people aren't interested, but because older people
> - who have always been the backbone of our hobby -
> are working longer and their kids are unable to
> get a well-paying, stable job so they can move
> out. As well, I know from my experience in the
> Toronto area that nobody middle class is buying a
> house in town or in the suburbs - they are stuck
> with mum and dad because they can't afford to move
> out. If my house were to sell today, it would go
> for more than double what we paid 12 years ago. I
> could not afford to buy my own house. 
>
> The kids stuck at home - not because they want to
> but because they have no choice - is the single
> biggest impediment to growth in our hobby. Getting
> eight-year-olds into model trains is not a
> long-term growth plan for us. Getting more 50- and
> 60-year-olds into the hobby is. And if granddad is
> busy changing diapers or doing
> school/hockey/baseball runs for the grandkids
> because the kids are stuck doing contract work and
> have to work crazy hours to make ends meet, the
> granddad is not working on his hobby. Or if
> granddad can't retire because he's just borrowed
> $200,000 to help his kids with a downpayment on
> the $800,000 3-bedroom fixer-upper, he is also not
> working on his hobby.
>
> These are my observations. Maybe it's different in
> the USA, but in Canada a lot of seniors have no
> choice but to keep working. Which means... less
> time for our hobby.
>
> -Jason
>  

Same sad crap going on in the USA. Too darn expensive just to live much less get into model railroading or any other hobby.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 11/18/19 04:32
Author: SPDRGWfan

From what I'm reading it's far worse in the UK vs the US and Canada. There is a real shortage of houses, far far worse than here such that younger generations may never own a home. Being so short in supply there prices are out of reach of most young professionals.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/19 08:01

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
> Same sad crap going on in the USA. Too darn
> expensive just to live much less get into model
> railroading or any other hobby.
>
> SantaFeRuss

Well, I must disagree, to a point.

1.  I still really enjoy our hobby and since I am happy with old Tyco, Mantua, Revell, Athearn Blue Box & other items, I can find things very inexpensively on eBay, at shows, on Craigslist.  I don't need DCC & details that cannot be seen without looking at a car or loco under a magnifying glass.  There are literally tons of used items for sale, for very little money.

2.  Another thread here on TO talks about Rod Stewart's layout.  For decades, he was a regular customer of mine.  He would come in, pick out a few sticks of bass wood, a tube of glue and maybe a few bottles of paint and leave.  He would scratch build all sorts of things, spending very little money on some of them.  Not everybody needs to buy everything pre-built and RTR to enjoy this hobby.

3.  There is a bakery I frequent here in Orange County where I live.  It employs dozens of young people.  I can't believe that any of them make more than minimum wage, plus tips.  However, more than half of them have several, elaborate tattoos, and a few are covered in them.  For way less than the cost of those tattoos, one could easily be involved in the MR hobby, to a degree.  That said, I am quite sure that weathering an old Athearn box car is not anywhere on their list of things they aspire to do--EVER!  

When people ask me about my hobby and former career, I point to my silver hair and tell them that the only problem, is that the vast majority of MR enthusiasts have "hair like mine, or no hair at all."   You draw your own conclusions.

Hope you are all well,

Allen Drucker

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1482 seconds