Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Perfect HO Models

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/03/19 12:34
Perfect HO Models
Author: g-spotter1

In this day of expensive and "fully" detailed models out of the box,  I would be curious to opinions on HO locomotives that our intrepid and beloved manufacturers nailed right out of the box.  The Perfect representation of the prototype--no glaring errors, excellent detail, and unassailable paint.  Any takers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/19 12:35 by g-spotter1.

Date: 12/03/19 13:26
Re: Perfect HO Models
Author: needles_sub

I have read or heard nothing negative about Scaletrain's UP turbines.
They look spot on to me.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/19 13:27 by needles_sub.

Date: 12/03/19 13:34
Author: PasadenaSub

ScaleTrains SD40T-2?

Date: 12/03/19 14:20
Author: Coast

There is no such thing as a perfect out of the box model. Nothing to see here...

Posted from Android

Date: 12/03/19 15:31
Author: g-spotter1

Coast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no such thing as a perfect out of the box
> model. Nothing to see here...
>
> Posted from Android
No perfect model exists, so perhaps the question should be "near perfect" or so good, its hard to complain about; no major flubs.   I would agree, Scaletrains UP Turbine, ET44's, Dash-9's, T2's.  Athearn Genesis F's, Intermountain ET44's,  Athearn DDA40x's  others?
With so much internet criticism of new offerings, in might be entertaining to compile of list of successes. 

Date: 12/03/19 17:54
Author: Chad

PERFECT???? In the model train industry, there is NO perfect model. Some claim to expect perfect but by the same token they also seem to get great joy in complaining about detail or errors and of course PRICE

Date: 12/03/19 18:12
Author: gandydancer4

I think since EACH locomotive (be it steam or diesel) is as unique as a finger print, The '"perfect model" does not exist. By that same reasoning, that is why each model locomotive IS perfect. Again, because no two are identical. Think of it like Schrodinger's cat.   ×   

Date: 12/03/19 18:22
Author: TS735

Spot on for the original 5628. In fact the ONLY change made was the addition of Sergemt scale couplers.......

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Date: 12/03/19 19:18
Author: GP30M

Chad Wrote:
> PERFECT???? In the model train industry, there is
> NO perfect model. Some claim to expect perfect but
> by the same token they also seem to get great joy
> in complaining about detail or errors and of
> course PRICE

That is a pretty big mischaracterization. Legitimate inaccuracies being pointed out by customers does not equal "joy in complaining about detail or errors", but it is everyone's prerogative to tilt at those windmills. Are these scale models, toys, or both? The distinction is apparently important depending on which position one takes when discussing accuracy and scale.

Who expected perfection? That is a strawman. Some of us did expect the -accuracy- that was advertised for an HO scale model toy train. Who honestly likes/prefers to pay a premium for generically detailed and deceptively marketed model toy trains?

So, we have a situation where a manufacturer made claims that were exaggerated. The people that preordered and purchased these model toy trains pointed out the errors. Simple, right?

The response has been puzzling, to say the least...ad hominem attacks against the people discussing the accuracy of a model toy train release and derisive dismissal of the actual scale defects (compromises?) by both the company that produced it and its fans.

Trash the human customers, defend the expensive model toy train. Pretty vicious, no?

Regardless, some of us dedicated not-insubstantial discretionary funds to the purchase of a hobby product that did not live up to its advertising (the model toy train marketing hype equivalent of Geraldo opening Capone's vault). Shame on us, we were pretty foolish to expect better from a top tier company, as has been pointed out ad nauseam.

Rhetorically speaking, will all future discussions on this model train forum center around how happy we -must- all be with generic detail compromises and questionable QC on -all- future expensive model toy train releases?

That's aiming pretty low, if you ask me. It will be interesting to see what passes as "wrongthink" going forward, though.

-Mike

Posted from Android

Date: 12/03/19 20:14
Author: Arved

There are too many compromises to make a model compatible with NMRA standards and recommended practices. Even the Finescale NMRA standards fall short of accuracy to prototype. And if a manufacturer DID produce a model with scale wheels, scale couplers, scale draft gear openings, etc., you'd hate it because it wouldn't run on your layour or with your other equipment. Very likely, you'd find it unacceptable to have to build your layout to prototype standards, including large minimum radius' and long turnout frogs (double digit) in order to operate truely scaled models.

I gave up a long time ago. Back to Kadees. Back to RP25. Bye bye Proto87. It was fun while it lasted.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 12/03/19 21:08
Author: Chad

GP30M Wrote:
> Chad Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > PERFECT???? In the model train industry, there
> is
> > NO perfect model. Some claim to expect perfect
> but
> > by the same token they also seem to get great
> joy
> > in complaining about detail or errors and of
> > course PRICE
>
> model toy train
>
> -Mike
>
> Posted from Android

Model TOY Train is the key phase. 

Date: 12/04/19 05:34
Re: Defective HO Models
Author: stevenlsilva

the number one thing to test is put the unit on the track turn power on lift one of the trucks off the track and you will find out if both trucks have pickup this the biggest problems i have mostly Athearn, i just picked up a new Athearn sd45T-2 and the rear drive shaft into the fly wheel is to short so i have been dragging the rear truck, first time ever for this.

Date: 12/04/19 06:45
Re: Defective HO Models
Author: BNSF-E9

Tunnel, Dash 9, 40-2, name it......ScaleTrains.

The best, IMHO.

Date: 12/04/19 09:17
Author: sawdust

Ya know, I was super impressed with Baldwin.  They always seemed to hit it spot on.  

But they're a bit larger scale and out of business.  And Really expensive.

But had amazing sound systems

Date: 12/04/19 19:46
Author: ALCO630

TS735 Wrote:
> Spot on for the original 5628. In fact the ONLY
> change made was the addition of Sergemt scale
> couplers.......

And what would go better with this then these?

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 12/04/19 19:51
Author: tunnel88

Funny story, my first models as a kid was a random set of Tyco HO models from the thriftstore - a Bicentennail high hood Century was in the mix and no track to even run it on.

How things have changed! I'll soon be taking a deep dive into a handful of Scale Trains BN SD40-2 Operators that i believe i have to fix the front handrails due to poor moldwork or something similar. I suppose i can email Shane first to see if they have a fix. Great looking models otherwise!

Date: 12/05/19 00:16
Author: RRBMail

Athearn's "Hustler"!

Date: 12/05/19 03:11
Author: ALCO630

How much work and cost is involved to modify or retool for one prototype and what would be the return on investment?

For instance back in the day, there was a Conrail GP40-2 running around with cab of an EL SD45 (it had the horn above the numberboard). And a six axle GE (6557?) that was rebuilt with the cab and nose of an older GE (it was the only one running around with a blanked out noselight).

How much is involved in retooling for just that one variant?

$300 unit or not, sometimes you just have to see the manufacturer's side and break out the tools.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 12/06/19 19:55
Author: tunnel88

Taking names? This is getting pretty funny!

Date: 12/07/19 10:27
Author: toledopatch

tunnel88 Wrote:
> Taking names? This is getting pretty funny!

I was moderately sympathetic to the situation, but that revelation altered my perspectively considerably.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1016 seconds