Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Model Railroading > Blue Foam Mountains - Part 12, Trees continued, and Portals...

Date: 02/19/20 02:33
Blue Foam Mountains - Part 12, Trees continued, and Portals...
Author: MrMRL

Kinda-sorta continuing from... Blue Foam Mountains - Part 11.5 - Trees, & trees...

So as my post a few days back alluded to... "HO" scale trees are being planted (by the dozens) across the wide open expanses of the upper level single track section of the California Southern Model Railroad Club in Norwalk, CA. At the particular moment, the "Big-Bend" of the upper level before the track finally crests the Summit at the upper flat-lands of Chester and Costa.

I say "HO" with quotations because there is forced perspective at work here again, as was used on other regions of the layout further down the hill. Smaller N and even a few Z scale trees are planted way in the back (near the tops of the ridges) to aid with the depth of field, making the hills feel larger and d e e p e r. The larger more detailed (and more expensive) HO scale trees in the 30'-40' height range from JTT, and Woodland Scenics to name a few are placed up close to the tracks to boost variety and interest all that potential train action around the tracks.

For this update I'm also including a few look-back images to remind folks how these scenes appeared just a couple years back while the construction of the club layout's upper level was in its infancy.

Date: 02/19/20 02:34
Re: Blue Foam Mountains - Part 12, Trees continued, and Portals..

Now, unrelated to the trees... In the midst of planting those scale miniatures, I was gently spurred on by a fellow club member to tackle a second long-pressing project... Tunnel portals and abutment walls!

Date: 02/19/20 02:36

A couple years back, the club purchased several plaster cast tunnel portals and wall sections from long tome custom plaster fabricator C.C. Crow. These portals replicate Milwaukee Road style concrete formed portals from the Pacific Northwest, now to be used on our So-Cal inspired layout (don't ask about the odd connection...). For the past year or so as other scenery goals were achieved, the plaster molds were temporarily replaced with cardboard mock-ups to ensure there were no clearance issues with all the member's equipment that pass through from week to week. Well the time was nigh to finally slap a few of the plaster portals into place. Complete with some cutting and filing to allow proper shape and fit. At the moment the portals and walls are simply painted Testors Concrete. Weathering and aging will come next.

Date: 02/19/20 02:40

Just one more look back to 2018 to show, what all is under that scenery.

Thanks for your continued support, criticisms, and general comments folks!

http://www.californiasouthern.org/

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 02/19/20 03:38
Author: algoma11

Looks good-thats a lot of foam!

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 02/19/20 05:47
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice portals and abuttments.  From what I've seen, similar style poured concrete abuttments were used on other RR's in the west.

Date: 02/19/20 05:59
Author: BlackWidow

What is the ruling radius on your curves?

Date: 02/19/20 07:05
Author: BAB

Ok so where are you your room is ready, have food and will wash your clothing. Wow getting better all the time now about my lack of progress................thanks for sharing your on going work. Boyd in Chiloquin

Date: 02/19/20 09:17
Author: SPDRGWfan

algoma11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good-thats a lot of foam!

It is a lot of foam.  I wonder what all that foam cost and it appears a lot would have had to be carved away.  The end result looks good.  Alternatively, I"m planning on cardboard strips with hot glue and then cover with plaster gauz.  Cheap and cheerful.

MRMRL, I forgot, what did you used to cover or fill in the foam crevasses after carving it?

Cheers, Jim

Date: 02/19/20 11:12

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> ...
> It is a lot of foam.  I wonder what all that foam
> cost and it appears a lot would have had to be
> carved away.
>
> MRMRL, I forgot, what did you used to cover or
> fill in the foam crevasses after carving it?
>

The 2'x8' (2" thick) foam sheets were purchased from a construction surplus warehouse for ~$20/sheet. We bought 20 sheets. Plaster cloth and hard shell A-11 hydrocal was layered over the surface of the finished carved/shaped blue foam.

Mr. MRL

Date: 02/19/20 11:20

BlackWidow Wrote:
> What is the ruling radius on your curves?

Ruling radius? We don't have any rules on our RR... just kidding. The big 180 turn seen in the photos above is 50" radius. The curves across the upper level are all in the 42"-50"+ range. For the lower level, I believe there may be one or two curves that get down to the upper 30s, I can't remember offhand though.

Mr. MRL

Date: 02/19/20 17:06
Author: Hookdragkick

Uncle Warren would be proud!

Date: 02/19/20 17:32

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> Uncle Warren would be proud!

I'm sure he would.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 02/20/20 10:29
Author: atsf121

Awesome work!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/23/20 16:05
Author: ns1000

Interesting stuff..!!  Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds