Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Model Railroading > Proper Hand Rail Stantions SF30C (Kaslo Shops)

Date: 02/18/20 12:35
Proper Hand Rail Stantions SF30C (Kaslo Shops)
Author: g-spotter1

Hello all, I have just about finished my Kaslo Shops SF30C.  I'm down to the handrails, and before I use the provided laser etched stantions, I was wondering what after market stantions would be the proper length and configuration for an SF30.  Recommendations?

Date: 02/18/20 12:59
Re: Proper Hand Rail Stantions SF30C (Kaslo Shops)
Author: Hookdragkick

Being etched, the provided stanchions are flat, correct?

Date: 02/18/20 13:52

Yes, the etched ones are flat , and just lack the depth to be particulary convincing.

Date: 02/18/20 14:56
Author: KM-ML4000

Utah Pacific (HS87) makes GE stanchions for the U series GEs.
https://www.tomarindustries.com/up.htm

And KV Models has etched stanchions
http://kvmodels.com/kv516h/

Date: 02/18/20 15:35

Thanks.  I was wondering about the Utah pacifics.  Ill look up the KV's as well.

Date: 02/19/20 06:51
Author: gandydancer4

The SF30C was a Upgrade from GE's U36C. Would hand rails from an Atlas U36C work?

Date: 02/19/20 07:24
Author: JayK

I built two SF30Cc using the Atlas U36C as the starting point. The side handrails on the SF30C require a different configuration. I used Smokey Valley stanchions and brass wire. A challenging project, but well worth it. I have a Kaslo SF30C in progress and find the resin challenging to work with. When I complete it I will again go with the Smokey Valley route, assuming I have enough stanchions in my inventory. They are hard to come by these days.

Jim Kleeman

Date: 02/19/20 08:07
Author: alamode

KV is producing a set for the SF30C - should be out in a month or two. I find the bend over tabs on the ones included in the kit too short to work with. KV has taken this into consideration and will have slightly longer tabs.

Date: 02/19/20 12:59
Re: Proper Hand Rail Stanchions SF30C (Kaslo Shops)

Great looking models, guys.  I will see if I can scare up some SV stanchions.  If not, I may just have to wait for the KV's.  The stanchions included are indeed very short with regards to the bend over tabs.  I have been cleaning up a set of Utah pacific stanchions from a friend.  I'll see how those measure up.  Thanks for the input.

Date: 02/19/20 17:20
Re: Proper Hand Rail Stanchions SF30C (Kaslo Shops)
Author: Hookdragkick

I have an extra set of SV #15 handrail and stanchions for GE C-C truck and #110 stanchions only for GE. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds