Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Model Railroading > Any switch machine that doesn’t require removing the spring?

Date: 04/08/20 23:34
Any switch machine that doesn’t require removing the spring?
Author: steam290

I’m using peco switches. I don’t want to have to remove the spring because they are situated in a strange location. I’d have to tear a lot of stuff up to get them out to remove the springs. Any motor that will work with springs still intact?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/08/20 23:54
Re: Any switch machine that doesn’t require removing the spring
Author: SP4360

Tortoise machines will do the job just fine.

steam290 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m using peco switches. I don’t want to have
> to remove the spring because they are situated in
> a strange location. I’d have to tear a lot of
> stuff up to get them out to remove the springs.
> Any motor that will work with springs still
> intact?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/09/20 07:59
Author: railstiesballast

I have used a Tortise but had to put in a stronger throw rod.
That was an old Peco, I think the  new ones have a softer spring.
Several spur tracks have Pecos with no machine, I just reach over and flick the points with my finger or an uncoupling pick.

Date: 04/09/20 08:08
Author: SPDRGWfan

I believe Peco switch machines will do the job too; they make an under table versoin.

Date: 04/09/20 09:00
Author: steam290

I need something I can mount on the surface. It’s a very weird location. I had not originally planned to put a switch there, but then I added a terminal area. It is under a huge factory complex, and although you are able to throw the switches manually, it’s difficult to see which way the points are heading.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/10/20 08:41
Author: BAB

Use an RC servo with a mount that allows it to be hidden with just the arm sticking up. I got my cups from an online outfit, servos were the mini ones I already had and use the ECU controler that will do four machines very easy to program also. Much better than another one offered as tried to make that one work never did. I have eight of that style and just use a hole saw to make the hole in 3/4" plywood.

Date: 04/10/20 11:35
Author: glengui4294

The MP5 switch machine is a small servo device than can operate without removing the spring from the peco switch. It even has contacts for powering the frog. I really like that it draws no power at all when not in use.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/13/20 15:15
Author: rapidotrains

It is *really* easy to remove the springs on Peco switches. You'll have to trouble at all.

If you look at the tiebar, there are two little flanges folded over. These are holding down the spring cover.

Pry them up with a #11 blade. Pop up the spring cover. Remove the spring. Put the spring cover back. Fold down the tabs.

Your first one will take five minutes.

The rest will take two minutes each.

I leave the springs in until I install my switch machines. But then I take them out.

-Jason

Date: 04/14/20 13:38
Author: grahamline

In previous generations of Peco switches the challenge was retaining the over-center spring, not removing it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds