Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > NixTrains Decoder buddy in ScaleTrains Dash9

Date: 05/24/20 17:26
NixTrains Decoder buddy in ScaleTrains Dash9
Author: Travey_Z

Hey everyone!

I have a question. Has anyone put a decoder buddy in a ScaleTrains Dash 9? I’m not using loksound and am using a tsunami2 21 pin. (I know it’s an unpopular thing these days)

However ST stock board with a Tsunami 2 doesn’t allow all lighting functions to work. So I’m trying to install the decoder buddy and wanted to see if anyone has done so and how easy it is.

Thanks
Travis Z

Date: 05/24/20 21:00
Re: NixTrains Decoder buddy in ScaleTrains Dash9
Author: sp8234

I thought there was something about using a Loksound decoder only for Scaletrains unless you rip the board out & start from scratch. 
How come you used a Tsunami 2 instead of a Loksound? 
 I will be getting rid of most of my Tsunami decoders because there EMD Dynamic Brake sound is the worst. 

Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 05/24/20 22:38
Author: Travey_Z

You can access the headlights and ditch lights with a Tsunami 2 and all sound functions but the numberboards/walkway lights aren’t coming on.

I’m not a fan of Loksound. I’ve had nothing but problems with the few I’ve had. The Tsunami 2 emd dynos sound better than the original tsunami does. I’m just a Soundtraxx user. But there should be a way to map the numberboards/walkway lights to an open function that I’m not using in parallel in itself...

sp8234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought there was something about using a
> Loksound decoder only for Scaletrains unless you
> rip the board out & start from scratch. 
> How come you used a Tsunami 2 instead of a
> Loksound? 
>  I will be getting rid of most of my Tsunami
> decoders because there EMD Dynamic Brake sound is
> the worst. 
>
> Tim
> Hanesworth

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/25/20 05:59
Author: kscessnadriver

My understanding is that ScaleTrains uses an additional board/chip, something, to control those auxilliary functions. And as such, the only decoder capable of interfacing with it is the ESU products (at this time). I've seen on YouTube people install SoundTraxx into one, but IIRC, they end up totally removing the light board and directly wiring the whole thing to their Tsunami2 decoders.

Now, I don't model HO, so I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember from a podcast I had heard somewhat recently (like in the last 6 months or so).

Date: 05/25/20 07:16
Author: brfriedm

I think the issue is with function outputs. Loksound 5 has 12 I believe  and that Tsunami 2 only 6 according to their website. That is why Loksound has been so popular with these newer manufacturers that are adding all this additional lighting at the factory. They need allot more function outputs.

Bruce

Date: 05/26/20 07:55
Author: BAB

sp8234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought there was something about using a
> Loksound decoder only for Scaletrains unless you
> rip the board out & start from scratch. 
> How come you used a Tsunami 2 instead of a
> Loksound? 
>  I will be getting rid of most of my Tsunami
> decoders because there EMD Dynamic Brake sound is
> the worst. 
>
> Tim
> Hanesworth
Could be some dont like putting up with Loc sound programing and like Soundtraxx better ya think?

Date: 05/28/20 22:54
Author: sp8234

I am not an expert in programming anything but have figure out how to program Loksound with JMRI. There is not that much difference between Soundtraxx or Loksound in programming, just Loksound has a more that can be changed. I have not put sound in a blank decoder or upgraded any sound files in factory equipped units yet. The biggest advantage to Loksound are the Dynamic brake sounds, Soundtraxx are horrible. 
I have programmed 2 TCS Wow steam sound, Its kinda like Loksound. I have also programmed several Broadway locos, They are a breed of there own.
I do think the key to any programming anything is JMRI/Decoder Pro & a Sprog. It is the best $ I have ever spent on model trains. I would not be in the hobby if these products weren't around.

Tim
Hanesworth

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds