Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Swing gate "saw cuts" location Help Please

Date: 06/22/20 12:02
Swing gate "saw cuts" location Help Please
Author: robert162

Dear Tos,  I am in the middle of building a swing gate. My question is how do i determine the angle of the cuts AND location of  hinges for smooth opening and closing. The span is 4' 6' its necessary for isle width. Though the bridge is long i more the likly going to box out the bottom and add wheels. thanks  robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/20 19:08 by robert162.

Date: 06/22/20 17:53
Re: Swing gate "saw cuts" location Help Please
Author: wabash2800

You can cut the track about anywhere but preferably on tangent (straight) track. However, if it lifts up or out, you'll need to bevel the rail ends. With that much wood you proabably should put a short peice of removable sectional track in where the gate track meets the layout track. That way, you can replace it with a slightly shorter or longer piece of sectional track when things expand and contract. Controlling the humidity is the biggest factor in keeping the wood from expanding and contracting too much.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/20 18:07 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/23/20 18:48
Author: Arved

Have the swing portion extend over the sides of the opening, like a T, and a dd a bit to the sides of the fixed portion. Kind of like bTd.

The idea is to keep a buffer in the passage to reduce the chance of snagging clothes (or skin) on the rail ends near the passage.

Guard rails or rerailer on either side of the cuts would also be a good idea.

I hope my ideas help. Good luck!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 06/26/20 06:36
Author: ChrisCampi

Going by your first photo, looks to me like your hinges would be located where you have the 1x4 with the open arrow. The pins on the right. This would allow a cut that nearly parrarells the bench work in the front of the photo by the blue tape, allowing the gate to swing to the right and up against your ductwork and out of the way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0332 seconds