Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > My HO pandemic project: A SP MOW boxcar

Date: 07/04/20 11:48
My HO pandemic project: A SP MOW boxcar
Author: Pattenburg

Being restricted as to what one can and cannot do, I decided to scratch build this MOW boxcar that I saw on a NS ballast cleaning train. After seeing the simplicity in its design, my thought was "Why not try and build one with spare parts that I had?" So taking what I could find, this was the almost finished boxcar. Parts came from an old caboose, horns from an old diesel, the light on the tail end from a billboard kit and the red warning light on the roof my grandson's Lego parts box. The decals were ones I had laying around with a paint scheme of my own design. Included is a photo of the boxcar that motivated me to build this particular car. Still have a few details to attend to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/20 11:49 by Pattenburg.

Date: 07/04/20 15:01
Re: My HO pandemic project: A SP MOW boxcar
Author: PasadenaSub

Interesting project - did you have to cut the noch in the end for the walkway, or was it already there from your caboose starting point?

A nice model, enjoyed seeing the pics.

Rich

Date: 07/04/20 18:08
Author: Pattenburg

Had to notch that section out of the original boxcar. Then it was cutting the end off of the caboose to get the side with the door so I could enclose the end portion of the boxcar. This car's floor is actually the boxcar's floor. For my next project that would be the flatcar that was in this train's consist.

Date: 07/05/20 08:11
Author: cabman

Interesting project, but get rid of those clunky stirrup corner steps and the claws on the doors.  I cut mine off and simply run a strip of masking tape across the door from inside to holdl them in place.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds