Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > Best weather/UV resistance G scale stock?

Date: 07/04/20 21:56
Best weather/UV resistance G scale stock?
Author: MP683

Looking at doing an all year static display, and it will see sun most of the day. Any recommendations on UV/weather resistant products for buildings and cars/engine?

Date: 07/05/20 12:45
Re: Best weather/UV resistance G scale stock?
Author: PHall

I don't think there is such a thing. Most plastics don't take long term UV exposure well at all. They fade and become brittle.
Even the black "UV resistant" engineered plastic on telephone cable and terminals usually starts getting brittle after about 10 years or so.

Date: 07/06/20 14:37
Author: HB90MACH

Krylon makes a uv coating that i use on mine.  Then over coat with a dull coat.  
shane

Date: 07/08/20 07:46
Author: Streamliner

Way back around 1976, shortly after I purchased Allied Models, I put a variety of items in my front shop window, on display.  They sat there for months, all through spring & summer, got a lot of sun, etc.  When I pulled everything out of the window, to put in a fall display, most every item was faded, sun damaged and some even melted.  The LGB Reefer car that was in there had a bit of dust on it, but was otherwise absolutely like brand new.

The LGB items that were made in Germany were just about bullet proof.  The plastic was such a high quality, heavy gauge material and the paints used were so substantial.  If it were me, I would go with old, Made in Germany, LGB items.  When the Nurnberg factory closed, this type of quality went with it, in my opinion.

Hope you are all doing well,

Allen Drucker

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0292 seconds