Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Model Railroading > A look back to a simpler time

Date: 08/01/20 06:05
A look back to a simpler time
Author: WrongWayMurphy

This could have been me, but I was into slot cars at his age, not trains.

Read comments below photo.

https://www.shorpy.com/node/15167#comment-151713

Date: 08/01/20 06:27
Re: A look back to a simpler time
Author: ATSF_Cliff

That's a horrible website!  It can magically make hours disappear.

Thanks for the link!

Cliff Rutherford
Grain Valley, MO

Date: 08/01/20 13:34
Author: RRBMail

ATSF_Cliff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a horrible website!  It can magically make
> hours disappear.
>
> Thanks for the link!

Gosh, it's a GREAT website for rail fans and modelers! Moreover, I lived thru most much of it. One teen recently asked me what the 1950s were really like. I said: "it was the greatest time ever, everyone had a job and everything worked, if you were so-called "white" and didn't get Polio! It started to go down hill when Kennedy was shot and it has been going down hill since. But that's OK, we apparently have reached bottom and there is only one way left to go--up!

Date: 08/01/20 15:37
Author: bearease

That TOTALLY was me! Except by 1966 or so, the American Flyer sets were on plastic, interchangable modules.
I think I was even younger than the boy in that photo. But I was a "modeler" even then: I felt like the streets in my plastic town should have center lines and RR crossing markings, so....
I grabbed one of Dad's Perminant Markers and added my own scenic touches! Funny I don't remember Dad ever yelling at me for that, but I can just imagine what went through his head when he saw the, ummm, artwork! ;-)

BTW, I never did get a chemestry set! Dad must've known better!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds