Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Model Railroading > My latest find.........

Date: 01/13/21 08:17
My latest find.........
Author: Streamliner

I am a mostly retired, former train shop owner, who still chases trains.  I have a little "man cave" in Newport Beach, CA with a sign out front saying that I buy old toys & trains.  Well, the other day, this woman contacts me and says "I have some train cars that belonged to my mother that I want to sell."  I tried to get some details from her, but she said that she had not opened the box in years and that she would just like to  bring it by.  OK, well I figured it was yet another box of beat up Tyco, but when she and her husband arrived at my place and pulled this huge box out of their SUV, my expectations started to rise a bit.  When I saw the two of them struggling to lift the box, my expectations jumped another notch or two.  Anyway, imagine my surprise when they opened the box and I found this ENORMOUS GG1 loco!

This loco is 3-rail, "standard gauge," designed to run on 2 1/8" wide track.  It measures 30" in length and weighs 30 pounds!  These were built by William Hendrich of Glendora, CA in the mid 1970's and he marketed them under the brand name Gold Standard Engineering.  Only 58 were ever produced and they were engineered like nothing else, short of a live steamer.  Both six-wheel trucks had all axles powered by dual 1/35th H.P. motors.

Should anyone wish to read more about these magnificent models, take a look here:  
http://www.tcawestern.org/gold.htm

Hope you are all doing well,

Allen Drucker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/21 08:25 by Streamliner.

Date: 01/13/21 13:39
Re: My latest find.........
Author: lynnpowell

Well, did you buy it from them???

Date: 01/13/21 14:02
Author: atsf121

Now that is a find!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/21 17:01
Author: Streamliner

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, did you buy it from them???

Ah, that would be a great big YES!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds