Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Genesis 2.0 CP Beaver SD60M tri-clops HO

Date: 03/29/21 04:36
Athearn Genesis 2.0 CP Beaver SD60M tri-clops HO
Author: brfriedm

Some folks were asking about these units and a friend of mine asked me if I could add Loksound 5.0 to his DCC ready unit. I accepted and here she is all done. It had one bearing cap missing but I was able to find it in the box and place it back. Unit is well done. Paint is crisp. Has see through steps. LED lights. Lots of detail. Runs very nice. I added a 21 pin Loksound 5 decoder. Athearn has moved away from the speaker chamber and instead has a square area in the frame where there is a removable weight. The beauty of Loksound is you can load any sound file you want and even custom horns and bells. There is a large community that records there own horns and bells and they provide them to you on request or for a small fee. No prison sentence like Soundtraxx where you are stuck with whatever you get from them at the time. I like flexibility. Unit has nice LED lighting including front and rear ditchlights, numberboard lighting and includes truck lights. Athearn has removed all the wiring so you can separate the shell. They used those contact prongs that touch a board inside. Well done.

Some pictures I took for folks to see. Cheers Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/21 06:59 by brfriedm.

Date: 03/29/21 04:38
Re: Athearn Genesis 2.0 CP Beaver SD60M tri-clops HO

More pictures

Date: 03/29/21 04:40

with some lighting. Not sure if you can see the numberboard lighting and the truck lighting but it looks good and you can see it well in normal lighting. Bruce

Date: 03/29/21 05:04
Author: BNSF20

Those are some great photos. Really glad to hear the wiring is now gone! Also the see through steps and lit numberboards are long overdue, I hope the 2.0 updates work there way down to GP locomotives.

Date: 03/29/21 05:45
Author: flippin77

I had no problems with missing parts either, here's a BN pair to add to Bruce's well done thread. Athearn did an amazing job on these too.

Andy
Metamora, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/21 05:46 by flippin77.

Date: 03/29/21 12:32
Author: globalethanol

Has CP rebuilt any of the other 4 ex SOO SD60M`s into SD60-3`s
or is 6261 the only one so far? Nice job Athearn. Best looking handrails
I`ve seen on ANYTHING to date.

twl

Date: 03/29/21 16:47
Author: MC6853

I've heard 6261 isn't a Dash-3 either...

Date: 03/30/21 18:30
Author: ChrisCampi

Although i have no interest in these loco's, i like where Athearn is headed with upgrading their electrical systems. I prefer the Tsunami 2 myself but the fact that you can retain full functionality using a ESU or other decoder is a very good thing. I read on FB that Athearn is going to do something about the McHenry couplers also. Sure hope that's true.

Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/31/21 06:57
Author: JUTower

MC6853 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard 6261 isn't a Dash-3 either...

Some of them have the ZTR Nexsys III control system like the UP has in a lot of their fleet (UP calls their units SD40N, MP15N, etc).  Do you know which ones? I thought the 6200-series were that group.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds