Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Model Railroading > Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?


Date: 04/05/21 09:51
Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: jsnoy

Are there any "new" rumors about the possible production of the Krauss-Maffei ML-4000 in HO scale?

I did a Google search of the Internet and TrainOrders archives and didn't see any recent comments. With the advent of 3D Printing I thought someone might take a stab at such a project.  Or maybe ScaleTrains would surprise us like they did with UP's Big Blow Turbines.  ScaleTrains would be a good candidate for producing a quality product,  but even Bachmann might stir my interest.  I understand the investment risk in committing to the production of such a unique locomotive.  Is there enough demand for such a model?  I believe detailed plastic versions of the DRGW and SP locomotives could be popular.  

The last comment I found was in 2019.  I'm looking for newer rumors so I can dream about finishing my "bucket list" of DRGW locos. 

Joe in Castle Rock, CO on the Joint Line 



Date: 04/05/21 10:01
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: schroed2

there was (or still is) a shell for the hood version on shapeways



Date: 04/05/21 10:56
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: Arved

jsnoy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any "new" rumors about the possible
> production of the Krauss-Maffei ML-4000 in HO
> scale?
>
> I did a Google search of the Internet and
> TrainOrders archives and didn't see any recent
> comments. With the advent of 3D Printing I thought
> someone might take a stab at such a project.  Or
> maybe ScaleTrains would surprise us like they did
> with UP's Big Blow Turbines.  ScaleTrains would
> be a good candidate for producing a quality
> product,  but even Bachmann might stir my
> interest.  I understand the investment risk in
> committing to the production of such a unique
> locomotive.  Is there enough demand for such a
> model?  I believe detailed plastic versions of
> the DRGW and SP locomotives could be popular.  
>
> The last comment I found was in 2019.  I'm
> looking for newer rumors so I can dream about
> finishing my "bucket list" of DRGW locos. 
>
> Joe in Castle Rock, CO on the Joint Line 

I believe the rumors center around the "series" ML-4000s. If you're modeling the Rio Grande locos, the old Rivarossi/AHM model will be what you want. More serious modelers will put a new drive under the shell, but the axle spacing is unique. Reusing the sideframes on a Flexicoil-D with an axle lopped off is about as close as you can get without custom milling truck gearboxes as Clyde King did:

https://pbase.com/espeef5/more_km_project_photos

Good luck!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL
Arved Grass



Date: 04/05/21 13:47
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: original

It would be a great Diesel Hydraulic  to make - 2 railroads had them with many modifications. I once tried to get Athearn - InterMountain - Scale Trains and Atlas to  do the in HO scale.
Non have the "courage" to do these unique locomotives - I can only say - they were not interested in making a profit ! - Yes, I was willing to put "sweat into the game" or as some would say "willing to put my money when it counts"
Original



Date: 04/05/21 14:49
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: wabash2800

From what I understand, they were tested on other roads, including the New York Central (the Rio Grande version). What other roads were they tested on?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be a great Diesel Hydraulic  to make - 2
> railroads had them with many modifications. I once
> tried to get Athearn - InterMountain - Scale
> Trains and Atlas to  do the in HO scale.
> Non have the "courage" to do these unique
> locomotives - I can only say - they were not
> interested in making a profit ! - Yes, I was
> willing to put "sweat into the game" or as some
> would say "willing to put my money when it
> counts"
> Original



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 14:49 by wabash2800.



Date: 04/05/21 15:16
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: MojaveBill

It's not a matter of "courage," it's a matter of common sense if you want to stay in business.
That's why 3d printing is so valuable. I think there is also a KM in N scale 3D.

Bill Deaver
Mojave, CA



Date: 04/06/21 01:48
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: ajgreen

A local modeller here in Blenheim, New Zealand has designed and built a mechanism (complete with motor, drive, bogies) for the Kraiss-Maffei Models. Look up "Northyard" on the net, and you'll find a link to North Yard Model Railway Parts here in Blenheim NZ.  A top quality product, and the particular drive will sure bring a crusty old Rivarossi model to life.

Allister.
Blenheim
NZ



Date: 04/06/21 04:21
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: brfriedm

Dear Mr. Original,

Scale Trains openly stated about a month ago on a live chat session that they would consider doing any project if private individuals would fund it. So there you go, you can put your money where it counts. Let us know how it is going. Bruce



original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be a great Diesel Hydraulic  to make - 2
> railroads had them with many modifications. I once
> tried to get Athearn - InterMountain - Scale
> Trains and Atlas to  do the in HO scale.
> Non have the "courage" to do these unique
> locomotives - I can only say - they were not
> interested in making a profit ! - Yes, I was
> willing to put "sweat into the game" or as some
> would say "willing to put my money when it
> counts"
> Original



Date: 04/06/21 05:53
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: Arved

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not a matter of "courage," it's a matter of
> common sense if you want to stay in business.
> That's why 3d printing is so valuable. I think
> there is also a KM in N scale 3D.

Athearn's certainly done other unique, low volume models. SP version of the U50. GP40P-2. If it weren't for many of the SP loyalists at Athearn departing, Athearn would be a logical choice for either the "Prototype" or "Series" ML-4000s.

I think Solid Modeling is making a lot of very good models economically possible. Cheaper than having a tool and die maker carve out molds.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL
Arved Grass



Date: 04/10/21 20:23
Re: Any new rumors about Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 models?
Author: ATSFSuperCap

Another way to get to a good running mechanism is to use either a KATO/Atlas or Proto1000 RSC-2.    You would have to find a way to attach the Rivarossi side frames to the outside bearing plates.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds