Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Model Railroading > Sunshades for HO Atlas U23B?

Date: 11/25/21 14:59
Sunshades for HO Atlas U23B?
Author: OnTheSiding

I was a bit surprised to see that Atlas did not provide any sunshades with my recent HO U23B purchase. No holes for  them on the cab, either. It seems many of the prototype units had sunshades.  Perhaps, though, the no sunshades is an attempt to just bypass the whole issue.  For instance, most Conrail diesels did not have sunshases and thus anyone modeling Conrail would not want two holes for sunshades on the cab.  In any case, if I wanted to put sunshades on my Chessie U23B (the protype had them) then what would be the best way?  I might have some leftover shades hanging around somewhere.  Is it best to drill holes or to just glue them on?  I want to avoid CA glue (and its fumes) and so I prefer plastic (not brass) sunshades.

Date: 11/25/21 15:10
Re: Sunshades for HO Atlas U23B?
Author: OHRY

Atlas units usually do not come with all the details you are expecting. Usually they are nicely detailed but not detailed to the hilt. As far as installing your own drilling and mounting then gluing with CA is absolutely your best bet if you want them to be as secure as possible.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/25/21 15:13

Thanks... Most of my other Atlas units (SD35, etc.) come with user-installed sunshades.  Two holes on either side of the cab and two sunshades in a small plastic packet.

Date: 11/25/21 19:40
Author: ATSFSuperCap

Plastic sunshades are super easy to make.    Just get a pack of Evergreen styrene strip of the desired width and thikness and cut angled ends to length.   But I still think you should use crazy glue to attach them as they will be more permanent than with any plastic glue or micro bond liquid.    Of course they will need to be painted preferably before mounting.   I use an airbrush and a piece of masking tape rolled over to hold parts like this to cardboard for painting.   No muss no fuss.

Date: 11/25/21 21:00

Drill holes for the shades or not?

Date: 11/26/21 10:59
Author: EL3672

I defininitly recommend brass shades over the plastic ones. For years I've been using A-Line etched brass sun shades part #29210.
They come with two mounting pins and include a two hole drill template for an easy install.

Date: 11/26/21 11:03
Author: grahamline

Brass shades are thinner and more durable.  You can make a bunch from a sheet of K&S shim stock.  Attach a broad U-shape of wire with solder or clear parts cement, and drill mounting holes above the windows.  A-Line sells pre-formed brass shades. I avoid CA whenever possible.

Date: 11/26/21 15:43

I avoid CA, too.  How would clear parts cement work in bonding brass to plastic?

Date: 11/26/21 15:54
Author: TomG

Work just fine. I had a Athearn Genesis F45 that had the metal grill fall off the radiator. I usef canopy glue to put it back on. Holds good and no sign of residue.

Date: 11/26/21 16:49
Author: PHall

Canopy cement is a better choice because it stays flexible when it dries and can take a hit or two.
ACC dries very rigid and can't take a hit. Great holding strength but very little shear resistance.

Date: 11/26/21 18:46
Author: jburek

Details West makes the best ones in my opinion - part #SV365.  They are very thin and made out of brass - they come with templates for easy drilling.  Once you push them through just a little drop of any glue inside the shell really seals the job.  And they also come with the tracts they would sit in.  Very easy to install.
Jeff

Date: 11/26/21 21:19

Shoot--just bought the wrong ones.  Went for the A-Line shades, but really wanted the ones wih the tracts.  Did not realize that Details West makes them (had not read the post here yet). Oh well, more money wasted...that's what this hobby is all about anyway...

Date: 11/27/21 04:54
Author: OHRY

OnTheSiding Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shoot--just bought the wrong ones.  Went for the
> A-Line shades, but really wanted the ones wih the
> tracts.  Did not realize that Details West makes
> them (had not read the post here yet). Oh well,
> more money wasted...that's what this hobby is all
> about anyway...

Not money wasted, they'll look just fine.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/28/21 09:35
Author: MC6853

I don't think I own a single Atlas unit that's kept both of its sunshades... No whining about this change from me; if they're not there in the first place they can't fall off...

Date: 11/28/21 21:30

Interesting perspective.  This thought has run through my mind, too.  It is similar to my general view of loco detailing...errors of comission are worse than errors of omission.  The crooked handrails, sloppy paint work, and poor assembly quality drive me nuts, expecially in comparison to a detaill that is not there (such as cab sun shades).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds