Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Model Railroading > BN(SF) 40’ COIL CARe car (Part 11) – A Font the Hard Way

Date: 07/18/22 08:56
BN(SF) 40’ COIL CARe car (Part 11) – A Font the Hard Way
Author: tmotor

This is Part 11 of a series on the BN(SF) COIL CARe car.  (Parts 1 thru 10 were posted earlier.)

For the medium stencil lettering, initially I typed-out the text and saved it as a graphic.  Then, went about adding and subtracting to fine-tune the character profile and incorporate the webbing.  When viewed at a “normal” size of 20 points, the font appeared to be a close match.  However, when enlarged to 300 points, the differences in shape and size of letters became more apparent.  After modifying a few letters, I could tell the amount of work for just one letter was too much to repeatedly modifying the same character throughout the text over and over again.  Time to look into creating a new font in Inkscape. 

Buckle-Up, Because It’s Gonna’ Get Bumpy  
I’m attempting to do something I’ve never done before, with free software, on a Mac (vs. a PC), with documentation written by volunteers, that has not been updated with the latest version of the software.  What could go wrong?  :-0

A few YouTube videos later, I found myself attempting to import the letter “A” into a new font named “BN Stencil”.  After a bit of head-scratching, and a few Rookie Errors, it finally loaded into Inkscape.  Success!  Now I just have to repeat the process for the rest of the letters and digits. 

Webbing
After a few letters, a pattern of angles emerged that was used as a template for the rest.  It helps to have a close-up of the specific letter as an underlayment, as well as a copy to the side for reference.  Unfortunately, the close-ups were a blurry image of a faded letter.  NOT ideal for creating fonts!  Some educated guessing was necessary as each letter was being constructed.  The webbing was made a tad wide since I wanted to make sure the decal would maintain a gap in the printed letters.  (The printed lettering will be quite small.  If the gap is too tight, the gap might close, defeating the purpose of this entire exercise.)

The Teaser
Now that the letters and digits were entered into Inkscape, I would be able to type the BN Stencil Font for the artwork.  Right?  Well, not so fast.  It wasn’t showing up in the list of available fonts in Inkscape.  I could type it in the sample test window to confirm the letter had the desired shape, but could NOT type it in the usual development canvas.  After some research I discovered why.  Turns-out there is another (not so well documented) step needed.  The BN Stencil font needs to be exported, and then imported to FontForge (another piece of shareware), in order to put it in a format that can be loaded (like the Marsh Stencil font) back into Inkscape.  

Free
In the world of shareware, they tend to not “reinvent the wheel”, in order to save resources.  If another piece of software already does a conversion process, why go to the trouble of writing and debugging another chunk of redundant code?  However, there is an entire area in Inkscape for font creation, and I did load all of the information in there.  So, I can define the font, but can’t use it?  SERIOUSLY??  I couldn’t help feeling this was like preparing to drive a car by entering through the passenger-side door.  It can be done, but seems like an unnecessary hassle.  But, such is the price to be paid for “free” software. 

FontForge
5 more YouTube videos later, I was comfortable that FontForge has a good track record and was worth a try.  Loaded it up.  Poked around a bit to get familiar.  Okay, so now I can import the BN Stencil Font from Inkscape, right?  (Silly boy.  So optimistic!)  It would NOT export from Inkscape.  The error message indicated the file was either corrupt or invalid.  I decided to run a test and created a Test Font with a single “A” as the only character, which exported fine, and imported into FontForge.  So, I must have done something during the creation of the BN Stencil font to make Inkscape mad.  Obviously, a Rookie Error, but no idea what it is or how to correct it.  Rather than rebuild the entire font from scratch in Inkscape (AGAIN!), I decided to just build it in FontForge instead.  (If I’m going to have to import each and every character all over again, I figured it might as well be FontForge since that is the target anyway.  Plus, what if I made the same Rookie Error in Inkscape and was not able to export it.  Dhooooooo!) 

Trial Run
This time I knew better than to be lulled into a false sense of security by watching a video of someone else successfully create a font.  I wanted to see it happen on MY hardware, on MY version of the software.  I’m not about to enter the entire font, only to discover there was no way to get it across the finish line.  (Already been to that movie, and did NOT like the ending!) 
After more YouTube videos and some head scratching, the “A” imported into FontForge, and the font was generated.  This font was imported into Inkscape, “Test Font” was now in the list of available fonts, and the “A” could be typed in Inkscape as text.  OK, now we’re talking!

Déjà Vu
Once again, I found myself importing each of the letters to build a font, and adjust the spacing (known as “Kerning” in font-speak) between letters.  After a handful of letters, I would generate the font and import it to Inkscape to reassure myself this was not yet another black hole that would absorb days of time with nothing to show for it.  After the last letter was imported, I victoriously typed-out some text from a section of the COIL CARe car!  Woo Hoo! 

Though it took a while to figure-out, and had some false starts, it was very satisfying to be able to merely type-out the lettering and see the BN Stencil Font match the prototype.  FINALLY!  :-D

Lessons learned:
  1) For logos or large lettering, get clear close-up images.  Preferably a broadside (perpendicular) shot, in flat light (minimal shadows).  Use it as a graphic. 
  2) If a font is used for a large amount of lettering, use an existing font if there is a match (even if you have to pay a fee to obtain it). 
  3) If a matching font can’t be found, DIY it; but be prepared for a few days of work. 

Was It Worth It?
I suppose there is the larger question of why even go to this trouble of trying to match the font at all.  Why not just go with something close, and call it good?  The lettering is very small, and it requires VERY close examination to see the stencil webbing clearly. 
My motivation is I want to:
  1) Push the envelope of my skill set.  Creating artwork for custom decals has been on my radar for a long while.  I now fear no font.
  2) Not have regrets later when looking thru a viewfinder at the BN COIL CARe car model. 
  3) Be as close to prototypically accurate as possible.  The amount of work that has gone into this project is already beyond ridiculous.  Spending another week to obtain a font match is worth the effort. 
  4) Not cut corners on the font, even if I would be the only one that notices the discrepancy.  As Lance Mindheim (in his book Model Railroading as Art) says, “There is an audience of one, that being yourself.” 

However, my wife looks at all the painstaking details involved and wonders, “You do this to relax?”  :-D

This is NOT going to be the last project I tackle that will require a custom font.  It is really rare that a 3D printed project will have a matching set of decals available off-the-shelf.  Though it might be acceptable to mix and match lettering from several existing decal sheets for a single car, it would be a nightmare for 50 cars.  Also, the supply of decals is slowly dwindling, and (in this RTR world) there’s little hope for reprints on out-of-stock items.  By learning the artwork process now, I will better understand the requirements, limitations, and strengths for future decal projects. 

Dave

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/22 10:13 by tmotor.

Date: 07/18/22 13:06
Re: BN(SF) 40’ COIL CARe car (Part 11) – A Font the Hard Way
Author: tomd

Awesome work!  I will have to try this path to get a Southern Railway font.

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Date: 07/18/22 13:50

Greetings Tom!

> Awesome work!  
Thanks for the words of encouragement!  :-D

> I will have to try this path to get a Southern Railway font.

Not sure which flavor of the Southern Railway font is desired, but these might be worth a look:
http://www.railsimstuff.com/fonts3.html

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/22 18:10 by tmotor.

Date: 07/18/22 21:22
Author: sp8234

All I can say is WOW on your whole series on these Coil cars. I have read each one a couple of times & you have done A LOT of work on these.
I wound be in for 32 of them (2 A-line short box's, 16 BN, 16 BNSF) if you were going to offer them Ready to Run.
I have been sending this "Idea" to Scaletrains for a couple of years now.  

Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 07/19/22 11:56

Greetings Tim!

> All I can say is WOW on your whole series on these Coil cars. I have read each one a couple of times & you have done A LOT of work on these.
Thanks for recognizing the effort.  :-D
Initially it was going to be an Evergreen Strip "close enough" project, but after seeing the level of detail possible with a 3D printer it became a new ballgame.  Basically the entire car is being reverse-engineered.  The online images I found are roster shots, and lack the detail needed.  Not an easy task to gather images and measurements of the prototypes when they are constantly in motion!  A few months ago I camped-out for 5 days near the BNSF Bakersfield Terminal, which is a crew change point.  The trains always stop there, and straddle multiple grade crossings.  Fortunately the COIL CARe cars are still on the rails so I can take detailed images and get measurements.  The problem is there might be one train every few days with a string of COIL CARe cars, and if I'm lucky, it runs thru Bakersfield during daylight hours.  Only caught a few trains with COIL CARe cars, but they were a gold mine of information.

> I wound be in for 32 of them (2 A-line short box's, 16 BN, 16 BNSF) if you were going to offer them Ready to Run.
Unfortunately, the plan is to only offer it as a kit.  This will keep the cost as low as possible. 

Several folks have expressed a desire for an RTR version.  The issue is access to the assembly lines overseas where labor is cheap enough to keep the cost reasonable.  Trying to use domestic labor would push the cost well above the threshold most would be willing to pay.  Imagine sending a kit to one of the folks that perform custom work, who usually charge $50 per hour.  Will it take them 1 hour per car?  Want weathering?  2 hours?  With shipping both ways, is a $150 cost per car too high?  I think so.  
That is why applying some paint and decals for a DIY project makes sense, especially for multiples.  When done in batches, mounted on a jig, the air brushing goes pretty quickly.  As long as the decals are kept organized, they aren't difficult; but are time consuming.  The payoff is a unique string of cars that is iconic on Western rails.

> I have been sending this "Idea" to Scaletrains for a couple of years now.  
I wish they had taken your idea and offered a COIL CARe car.  They would have done a great job!  
However, their backlog of potential prototypes to model must be a mile long.  They tend to look at the statistics to determine their next project.  How many railroads run them?  What is the chance there will be enough demand to sell-out the run?  Only run by BNSF?  That only leaves a small customer base, and the car won't sell well.  Next... 
So they go with a coil car that is run by several roads, especially ones seen in the Eastern US.

https://www.scaletrains.com/ho-scale.html?freight_cars_product_type=502

BN(SF) is the only (Class 1) railroad running the COIL CARe cars, which is a strike against it being the next project; for any manufacturer.  In fact, there is a good possibility BNSF owns the blueprints, and it is a proprietary design; so they will only be in BN(SF) colors.  (The 40' cars were built by NSC, but the 50' were built by Trinity.  If NSC did the blueprints, would they hand them over to Trinity?  Unlikely.  The more likely scenario is BNSF put the 50' cars out to bid, with their own blueprints, and Trinity underbid NSC.)   

Regardless, with the current crop of 3D printers, there is no need to wait for a favorite car to be offered by a manufacturer.  :-)

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/22 12:58 by tmotor.

Date: 07/19/22 17:30
Author: fr8kar

Your font turned out really good. Now that you've gone through the Inkscape and Font Forge process the next font you create will be much easier.

Every time I think I'm done creating fonts I find another one to do because I just can't live with close enough. I'll bet you have the same problem from now on!

Date: 07/19/22 21:11

Greetings fr8kar !

> Your font turned out really good.
Thanks! 
It took over a week to figure-out, but I'm quite happy with the results

> Now that you've gone through the Inkscape and Font Forge process the next font you create will be much easier.
DEFINITELY!  Now that I understand the process, future fonts will be much easier.

> Every time I think I'm done creating fonts I find another one to do because I just can't live with close enough.
>I'll bet you have the same problem from now on!
Agreed!
The price of admission was high, but now I have a process to tackle any font.  :-D

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Date: 07/20/22 21:44
Author: sf1010

Here is a source of many fonts...

http://www.railfonts.com/

Date: 07/22/22 13:29

Greetings sf1010

> Here is a source of many fonts...
>
> http://www.railfonts.com/

Excellent resource. They even have the Hi and Mid flavors of the Rio Grande SpeedLetter font.

Thanks for posting it!

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/22 13:34 by tmotor.

Date: 07/27/22 21:04
Author: atsf121

Tmotor, your work just amazes me!  While I will never pull off anything remotely close to what you are doing, it's fun to read your posts and see how much work and thought you are putting in to this.  I just so happened to catch one of the cars in Provo, UT last month and thought of your project, here's a so-so grab shot of one of the COIL CARe cars in the Utah Railway yard that's either coming or going on one of the BNSF trackage right trains between Lincoln, NE and Stockton, CA.

Nathan

Date: 07/29/22 18:01

Greetings Nathan!

> Tmotor, your work just amazes me!  While I will never pull off anything remotely close to what you are doing, it's fun to read your posts and see how much work and thought you are putting in to this.
Thanks for the props! 
I retired in January, so I have time to pursue some of the time-consuming projects that are on my Bucket List.  :-D
Glad you are enjoying the posts.

>  I just so happened to catch one of the cars in Provo, UT last month and thought of your project, here's a so-so grab shot of one of the COIL CARe cars in the Utah Railway yard that's either coming or going on one of the BNSF trackage right trains between Lincoln, NE and Stockton, CA.
Definitely a 50'er.  
Covered 50'ers are rare in my neck of the woods. 
I'm in the process of hunting a few down to document them for a possible future project.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/22 18:14 by tmotor.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1733 seconds