Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Model Railroading > ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and more


Date: 01/28/23 10:50
ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and more
Author: PasadenaSub

From their Email today:

N Water & Fuel Tenders
N Tier 4 GEVOs

2023 Railroad Hobby Show Announcements:

New S Freight Car
New HO Caboose (kit)
All-new HO 48' 2-Hood Coil Cars
New HO ES44 GEVOs (including NS Heritage)

https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subscriptions/web-view?a=hnq4B2&c=01EZWNB6DCH477PWQY22JVFY7V&k=673f4af75ffe98a6c99ac2eb19135b74&g=aDY5Jw&m=01GQWB4XB92D4DHYKZBXVY5SGR&r=WTjdvVi

 



Date: 01/28/23 11:33
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: tomstp

Sorry  you Santa Fe fans that you have to endure another Santa Fe 5 window caboose class CE,  My gosh, how many thousands of these have been made by Athearn and had all kinds of railroad names put on them.  And not just Athearn either.  To me that has to be a money loser for Scale Trains.  Putting MOPAC on the side of a Santa Fe CE caboose just does not cut it. Neither do the other names.
 



Date: 01/28/23 12:07
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: PHall

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry  you Santa Fe fans that you have to endure
> another Santa Fe 5 window caboose class CE,  My
> gosh, how many thousands of these have been made
> by Athearn and had all kinds of railroad names put
> on them.  And not just Athearn either.  To me
> that has to be a money loser for Scale Trains. 
> Putting MOPAC on the side of a Santa Fe CE caboose
> just does not cut it. Neither do the other names.
>  

Santa Fe sold a number of their Ce class waycars in the sixties. As is a total of 40 to GTW, also some to IHB, C&S, Illinois Terminal, Chicago, South Shore & South Bend, Frisco and Central California Traction.



Date: 01/28/23 12:19
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: inyosub

This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains. Esp. when you compare with last year.
That said, it may be because they are somewhat of a victim of the Supply Train Blues.
Also though
Is not the Scale Trains coil car a redo of the Intermountain (Red Caboose) and Walters cars? I mean, why?
(not Athearn one which is excellent)  



Date: 01/28/23 15:09
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: atsf5704

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains. Esp.
> when you compare with last year.
> That said, it may be because they are somewhat of
> a victim of the Supply Train Blues.
> Also though
> Is not the Scale Trains coil car a redo of the
> Intermountain (Red Caboose) and Walters cars? I
> mean, why?
> (not Athearn one which is excellent)  

is the Scaletrains Thrall coil car a redo of the Intermountain or Walthers Evans coil cars?
No.



Date: 01/28/23 15:27
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: SPDRGWfan

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains.

Yes, nothing from Scale Trains that I need.  I have 2 of the D&RGW GP30's coming; after that, looks like nothing from Scale Trains that I will be needing now for a long time, probably until 2024 now.

Cheers,
Jim

 



Date: 01/28/23 16:19
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: PHall

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> inyosub Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains.
>
> Yes, nothing from Scale Trains that I need.  I
> have 2 of the D&RGW GP30's coming; after that,
> looks like nothing from Scale Trains that I will
> be needing now for a long time, probably until
> 2024 now.
>
> Cheers,
> Jim
>
>  

And your wallet sighed in relief!



Date: 01/28/23 16:28
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: BNModeler

I was surprised to see molded on grab irons on the caboose



Date: 01/28/23 17:57
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: MrMRL

BNModeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was surprised to see molded on grab irons on the
> caboose

Its a $22 "Kit Classics" model, not Rivet Counter...


~ Mr. MRL



Date: 01/28/23 18:43
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: CPR_4000

BNModeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was surprised to see molded on grab irons on the caboose

Scaletrains "Kit Classics" are roughly equal to Athearn blue box or Accurail kits.



Date: 01/28/23 19:06
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: SPDRGWfan

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> And your wallet sighed in relief!

Ah, that made me smile 😊

Posted from Android



Date: 01/28/23 20:05
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: TomG

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> inyosub Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains.
>
> Yes, nothing from Scale Trains that I need.  I
> have 2 of the D&RGW GP30's coming; after that,
> looks like nothing from Scale Trains that I will
> be needing now for a long time, probably until
> 2024 now.
>
> Cheers,
> Jim
>
>  

Ya that fooby isn't even close to the Rio Grande. I dont mind them going back to the 70s type of kit, but for cying out loud put dimples and let those that want grabs to drill thier own. Once again this is not the same ScaleTrains that started out of the blocks with a bang, it's a whole different company after MTH. Its more like MTH bought out ScaleTrains.



Date: 01/28/23 21:07
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: PHall

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > inyosub Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains.
> >
> > Yes, nothing from Scale Trains that I need.  I
> > have 2 of the D&RGW GP30's coming; after that,
> > looks like nothing from Scale Trains that I
> will
> > be needing now for a long time, probably until
> > 2024 now.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jim
> >
> >  
>
> Ya that fooby isn't even close to the Rio Grande.
> I dont mind them going back to the 70s type of
> kit, but for cying out loud put dimples and let
> those that want grabs to drill thier own. Once
> again this is not the same ScaleTrains that
> started out of the blocks with a bang, it's a
> whole different company after MTH. Its more like
> MTH bought out ScaleTrains.

Well there's always the Intermountain Santa Fe waycar. It IS dead on perfect on the details. Especially if you get the kit and build it yourself!



Date: 01/29/23 01:06
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: needles_sub

Wasn't this a MTH model?



Date: 01/29/23 05:32
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: Typhoon

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > inyosub Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > This was a super duper yawn by Scale Trains.
> >
> > Yes, nothing from Scale Trains that I need.  I
> > have 2 of the D&RGW GP30's coming; after that,
> > looks like nothing from Scale Trains that I
> will
> > be needing now for a long time, probably until
> > 2024 now.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jim
> >
> >  
>
> Ya that fooby isn't even close to the Rio Grande.
> I dont mind them going back to the 70s type of
> kit, but for cying out loud put dimples and let
> those that want grabs to drill thier own. Once
> again this is not the same ScaleTrains that
> started out of the blocks with a bang, it's a
> whole different company after MTH. Its more like
> MTH bought out ScaleTrains.

It is part of their kit classic line which by design is supposed to be a cheap, not necessarily accurate model.  It is funny, you often read on this site how model railroading is in trouble because of the expensive accurate models, and the lack of affordable blue box like kits.  Then a company comes out with something that would fall right in line with a blue box kit, and people complain.   I guess you can't make everyone happy.  



Date: 01/29/23 09:08
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: inyosub

Thanks for the tip ATSF5704  any advisory on what differences are on the ST coilcar?  Too bad not the old short SP cars.
Phall and SPDRGWfan yeah my wallet will groan heavily on the ST GP30  (supposedly on the water)
I only have I think 3 on order but I am also tasked with paying for 4 for a special needs friend and getting them
decodered non-sound. So that is 7 of the bad boys.  whew! 



Date: 01/29/23 15:57
Re: ScaleTrains Amherst announcements, S-scale, HO cabooses and m
Author: SPDRGWfan

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my wallet will groan heavily on the ST GP30  (supposedly
> on the water) I only have I think 3 on order but I am also
> tasked with paying for 4 for a special needs
> friend and getting them decodered non-sound. So that is
> 7 of the bad boys.  whew! 

The ScaleTrains D&RGW GP30's were reportedly copying late 80's - early 90's details, but I did some photo comparisons for some in the early 80's and they were pretty close.  I pre-ordered two with DCC/sound; one small and one large herald - might add a 3rd of the small herald from the numbers that were B units and remove the cab shades.

The Lokpilot decoders are a good option for non-sound DCC.  I've bought enough to outfit any of my DCC ready ST SD45's and tunnel motors.

Jim Fitch



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1448 seconds