Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Where are Athearn's Archives?

Date: 03/29/23 17:53
Where are Athearn's Archives?
Author: RRBMail

I wanted to check on some of Athearn's previous models so I went to their website, only it has changed and I can't find their archives at all. Any idea how to research their past models now? Thanks!

Date: 03/29/23 18:04
Re: Where are Athearn's Archives?
Author: sp8234

Easy to do on there new site.
Are you signed up with them, It helps? 
The new sit went up Monday.
Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 03/29/23 18:25
Author: TomG

I disagree. They switched to the same dime store crappy web site everyone is going to. Hard to navigate and shows what they are pushing rather than what you are searching for. Its not any easier to find older stuff than it was before when Athearn purged their archives. Must have hired some college kid that said they can make the world better.

Date: 03/29/23 19:52
Author: RRBMail

Agreed, Athearn's archives now suck. I guess Athearn wants us to focus only on buying new pricier trains and not looking for older ones. It's the American Free Enterprise System not to be mistaken for other friendlier free enterprise systems. "Go fast and break things." 

Date: 03/29/23 19:56
Author: mcdeo

While I agree the new site is 'beta' at best, at least you can view all of the old archives. Very clunky, but up until now, they were not even available. 

I'd like to be able to look up by model as a filter. Maybe that is coming. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 03/29/23 20:01
Author: atsf121

Are you looking the News Archive or the lists of models that Athearn has released previously?

https://www.athearn.com/ath-blog-new-announcements/

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/29/23 20:12
Author: sixaxlecentury

Announcements. 
News Archive. 

2 clicks..

Date: 03/29/23 20:14

mcdeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I agree the new site is 'beta' at best, at
> least you can view all of the old archives. Very
> clunky, but up until now, they were not even
> available. 
>
> I'd like to be able to look up by model as a
> filter. Maybe that is coming. 

You can view the announcement archives, but not the product archives. Before even though they deleted older releases, you could at least track newer of older releases. Unless they add them back yoyur out of luck. The announcement archive doesn't do you any good if you dont know when something was listed. I've tried their search for retired WP and hardly anything comes up. The good news is Rapido doesent have the worst web site anymore.

Date: 04/04/23 19:19
Author: FiestaFoamer

Back in the days of the highly informative / entertaining Train Tuesdays (when it was Matt + Janek, I believe), I remember them saying that there had at some point been a directive from above (Horizon) to remove retired models from the website, something like that. I remember they were now trying to add the old stuff back to the website bit by bit now for informational purposes... no idea whether that process ever came to fruition, etc. My memory of this is hazy but I believe something like that is the story. 

Date: 04/09/23 16:58
Author: Chessie

Made this unpleasant discovery today while trying to research past Chessie SD50 releases.  Why do so many companies take a "If it ain't broke, break it" approach to website "improvements" ?!?!? 

Date: 04/09/23 17:58

Cause there is a propeller head kid straight out of Community College telling them that this is the latest greatest thing and they are going to fall behind if they dont.

Date: 04/09/23 19:57
Author: tracktime

I'll be the contrarian here, and say that the new Athearn website is much faster in presenting info and provides much more information than its predecessor, and it works on mobile devices much better as well.  

With the new site I've been able to look through stacks of old announcement PDFs that I could not do before. On the old site, it took a lot more effort to find announcement PDFs, especially if they were anything older than a year prior.  Searches for products like "AC4400CW" yield near-immediate accurate results.  It's not perfect, nope, but the new site is a massive improvement over its predecessor as far as I am concerned.  

Cheers,
Harry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds