Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Latest from the Rapido "Bus" Tour

Date: 03/19/24 20:32
Latest from the Rapido "Bus" Tour
Author: rapidotrains

Hi all,

So I'm really grateful the bus wasn't ready. We would never have made it to Phoenix or Belen on time in the bus. We were driving flat out today from 7:30 a.m. and we arrived about 15 minutes before our 4 p.m. start. Driving the bus we would have had to leave at 5 a.m. I'm not sure what we were thinking when we put this schedule together...

The model train building at the McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park was unbelievable. This is probably the most beautiful model train exhibit I have ever seen. Everybody there was very welcoming and we had a great time. I enjoyed the tour of the HO layout in particular.

We were skeptical that we would have a crowd in Belen based on how small the town is, but we actually had around 40 people, which was fantastic! We were very impressed by how many young people were there. I was running trains with Gavin (12) and Zack (16), and I enjoyed talking with Max (10) who is getting serious about the hobby.

We hit one snowstorm and one ice storm on the way, and the crappy minivan started sliding as soon as I braked in the ice storm. I had to pump the brakes to avoid hitting a tractor trailer and Jordan and I almost wet our pants. Craig filmed the whole thing from the back seat! You hear Jordan saying "ICE AND SNOW! ICE AND SNOW!" in more and more frantic tones. The all-season tires on this car were not built for this.... It took me 10 miles to stop shaking! Meanwhile we were stopped because in the right lane a pickup had NOT stopped and rear ended a truck at full speed.

We saw a lot of BNSF trains... until we were right beside the mainline. Then they all went away. 

-Jason

Photo 1 - the bus...
Photo 2 - in Phoenix with club member Rich Horna
Photo 3 - gorgeous early morning scenery north of Phoenix

Date: 03/19/24 20:36
Re: Latest from the Rapido "Bus" Tour

1 - Craig gluing on a CN spark arrestor that I knocked off in Phoenix. Whoops! Don't ask about the 26' trailers. We've knocked off all the landing struts...
2 - The initial group of people in Belen - about 20 more people showed up!
3 - In Belen on the M-190, an unusual articulated Doodlebug.

Date: 03/19/24 20:47
Author: wabash2800

Glad to see you all are safe. Perhaps being from Canada, your driving skills saved you.

I have a Michigan friend who looks forward to seeing you all in Flint.

Victor Baird

Posted from Android

Date: 03/19/24 21:15
Author: ChrisCampi

Agree about McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park. Always hit it up when down for spring training.

Date: 03/20/24 04:39
Author: WrongWayMurphy

If you thought the drive across AZ and NM was a long one, you are
in for a shock on your trip Belen-Dallas.  It's long, boring, and full of 
oilfield activity, that is, lots and lots of trucks, so be careful out there !

Date: 03/20/24 08:30
Author: map

If I remember correctly your schedule showed you in the St. Louis area on the 24th.  Did you ever find a place to set up?

Mike Peters
Brentwood, MO

Date: 03/20/24 08:34

It's all here:

https://rapidotrains.com/rapido-s-big-american-bus-trip-march-2024

We're just leaving Albuquerque now. We are turning left to get out of our hotel, so we should end up in the right place....

The trip from Belen to Lubbock is all beside the BNSF mainline. It should be more exciting than the interstate!

-Jason

Date: 03/20/24 08:39
Author: map

Thanks Jason,

I didn't see the updated page. I think before it just said TBD.

Mike Peters
Brentwood, MO

Date: 03/20/24 20:28
Author: RayH

Surprised Craig didn't try to talk you into going to the Springsteen concert in Phoenix last night, and pushing the schedule back one day...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1265 seconds