Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Model Railroading > Glosscoat recommendations

Date: 06/03/04 19:08
Glosscoat recommendations
Author: CJ

A few days ago I posted a question about dullcoat. Now it's time to ask the flip-side of this discussion and inqure about available glosscoat products. While I do have some previous experience with dullcoat, I have none with glosscoat, so any suggestions, techniques, etc. would be appreciated.

thanks a lot,

Chris

Date: 06/04/04 03:02
Re: Glosscoat recommendations
Author: NarrowGauge

I'm using acryllic paints almost exclusively now, so no gloss needs to be added for a smooth finish on which to lay decals.
There's been a lot of discussion lately (article in Finescale Modeler) about using Future or one of the other floor waxes as a medium for a gloss finish. I've never tried it but it sounds like something to try.
narrowgauge

Date: 06/04/04 03:54
I have seen the Future and it works
Author: BentnoseWillie

I've been using Future since reading about it in FSM in the mid-80's. They it every so often for the beneit of new modellers. Future is very thin, so you have to apply it carefully. I get good results by dusting on a couple of light coats, then a heavier coat. The light coats leave a texture that seems to keep the heavier coat from running, and the heavier coat fills this texture to leave a smooth, glossy surface.

Incidentally, I highly recommend FSM and the like as resources for techniques we may not normally think of, especially around weathering. Tank modellers have forgotten more about weathering than we railroaders will ever know!

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law, on approved credit, do not take with alcohol or oral contraceptives, etc.

B-Dubya

Date: 06/04/04 09:13
Re: I have seen the Future and it works
Author: NarrowGauge

BentnoseWillie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by
> law, on approved credit, do not take with alcohol
> or oral contraceptives, etc.

B Dubya,
Eloquently said, as usual.
ng

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds