Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas C40-8CWs - Body Removal

Date: 02/13/05 09:06
Atlas C40-8CWs - Body Removal
Author: tunnelmotor

OK I have tried all the different ways other bodies are attached to the chassis - but what is the best way to get access to the motors of these babies? I have removed the couplers and tried squeezing the long hood above where the tabs are but no movement at all. What am I doing wrong?

Date: 02/13/05 10:52
Re: Atlas C40-8CWs - Body Removal
Author: CR4122

Here's a link to a removal method:
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14856

Date: 02/13/05 10:55
Author: NSDash9

The Atlas Dash 8-40C and Dash 8-40CW models do not have the tabs at the bottom of the shell that lock it to the frame like previous Atlas models. Instead it has four little nubs that lock it to the weights that are located about halfway up the inside of the body. Pressing inward from both sides will make those tabs stay even tighter against the weights. To remove the body, use one hand to grab the frame and use the other hand to pull up on the radiator wings at the rear of the long hood, again remembering not to push inward on the body. The body should pop up and then you can remove it.

Chris Toth

Date: 02/13/05 12:10
Author: tunnelmotor

Guys, many thanks. Will try this very shortly - I note the caution on rushing it per the notes on the Atlas thread. Pity the instructions do not tell you this.

And they claim it is "DCC ready"? Not quite in my book, given how much you need to do to just inside the shell!

Date: 02/13/05 16:55
Author: coaldrag

tunnelmotor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys, many thanks. Will try this very shortly - I
> note the caution on rushing it per the notes on
> the Atlas thread. Pity the instructions do not
> tell you this.
>
> And they claim it is "DCC ready"? Not quite in my
> book, given how much you need to do to just inside
> the shell!

So would you rather hack into the wiring as well. Once I get the shell off. I carve off the tabs and use the coupler boxes to hold on the shell ... no big deal. But it would be nice if manufacturers would have the shell held on by screws.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds