Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Model Railroading > Power shortage on TERW-- over with

Date: 09/02/05 14:19
Power shortage on TERW-- over with
Author: mc5725

I am about to enter a power shortage worse than I have ever seen, unless I get some info on where I can get new power for cheap, plus tips on how to keep my current fleet active.

(To see the complete TERW locomotive roster, click here-- http://members.trainorders.com/mc5725/pages/terwroster.htm )

Every single Athearn unit on that list (except for SD40-2 5725) features steel wheels. This only makes the dirt issues on my layout worse, increasing down-time for locomotives, and decreasing the amount of available power. Currently, GP50 3114 and SD45 6549 are inactive until their wheels get cleaned. Where can I obtain nickel-silver wheels that can be applied to the Athearn units on my roster?

Looking at a recent Model Railroader issue, it claims that the Athearn SD45T-2 only negociates 22" curves- no less. For those of you who have read my other posts, you'll know by now that my layout features only 18" curves. (Upgrading to a wider curve radius is impossible in the 4x10 space I am confined to.) Are all new Athearn units now unable to round 18" curves?

Anyone's info/opinions will be helpful, and thanks in advance.

Date: 09/02/05 14:57
Re: Big Trouble-- Power shortage on TERW
Author: Grande-Fan

Well Atlas will be releasing a GP38-2 in the "Trainman" line
this winter. They will be a nice running model just
not as many details. It is tough to get good
power on a tight budget but it is out there.

The thing with Athearn running on 22" radius is
for all there six axle power, I don't know how
you have been running that AC without
it going on the ground. 4X10 is a great start,
you should have room for 22" curves, I had
4X8's when I was younger and had to get bigger
curves when I bought SD40-2's.

Northwest Shortline makes nice replacement wheelsets
for all types of power, just takes a few minutes
to swap out the wheels. They help a lot!

I will see if I can round up some power for ya.
I have been collecting to much stuff for my
layout and some things aren't going to work.

Nathan Z.

Date: 09/02/05 15:23
Author: atsfman

Just some advice, that track will still be dirty if you still run plastic wheels on your cars.

Bob

Date: 09/02/05 15:33

My layout is incapable if upgrading to 22" curves. If you think not, look at the attatched photo.

As for that "AC", I asked the gent running my local hobby shop about its turning radius capabilities. I gave it a test on the shop layout, and that proved it was good for service on TERW's tight curves. Now, Toledo & Eastern AC4400CW 4400 is the star hotshot-hauler. It is joined by my Spectrun C40-8W (6058)and my Athearn C44-9W (8606).

However, as my coal trains get longer and heavier, the GE's will be in constant demand. Already, TERW has decided that twin-unit sets of SD40-2s, once the standard power source for the trains, has been dubbed impractical. Outlawed in my passing siding right now is a coal train, powered by engines 8606 and 4400. Engine 6058 is adequate for coal trains, as is SD45 6549, currently inactive.

Other freight trains are getting longer and more frequent as well. I'm going to get caught short of locomotives. And while all this is going on, it's likely the dirt issue from the plastic wheels will rear its ugly head once more, causing chaos all over.

You'll seriously try rounding up a few locomotives? At this point, I'll gladly take anything you're willing to send me. Although, I have to ask-- what did you have in mind?

Date: 09/02/05 16:56
Author: CTCFailure

Might want to petition the STB and start abandonment procedures.

Date: 09/02/05 17:23

CTCFailure Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might want to petition the STB and start
> abandonment procedures.

More like HLCX and snap up a few SD40-2s.

Date: 09/02/05 19:18

OK, I spent a good part of an hour working to return TERW GP50 3114 and TERW SD45 6549 to service. My efforts paid off, and both EMDs are now active once more. After the pair led an HPX hotshot, I was convinced that they were more than ready for active service. I made a video clip of the entire train. It is only 13 seconds long. (Yeah, it was going that fast.) To anyone who doesn't believe I can pull off high speeds on 18" curves, keep your eyes peeled to the Trainorders video sharing page.

Additional power issues may spring up if multiple units are sidelined at a time. That is why I would like additional power, just in case it is needed.

Date: 09/02/05 19:29
Author: highhood

the athearn hlcx are great looking units and even though they do not come with grabirons installed they are well worth the price. i have a pair of the 40-2s and a gp38. other then that why do you not just dump thoese b b athearns that you do have and either buy undecked rtr and genesis units and paint them in one of the schemes that was done up for you on your previose threads. or buy the rtr or genesis units already painted and put a patch job on it. both of these typs of athearns come with nice looking handrails and grabirons. do not buy these items from your local hobby store, myswelf and others can give you the the names of internet stores that discount as much as 30%.

Date: 09/02/05 19:33

highhood Wrote:
> paint them in one of the schemes that was done up
> for you on your previose threads.

Yeah; I painted those myself, filling in every blank white spot. The original drawings were by Michael Eby. Of course, I'll never come close to the capabilities of rrnut_99 or gp74444. Some people think they have too much spare time, but their creations are incredible.

Date: 09/02/05 20:04
Author: bnsfjth

mc5725 Wrote:
> Yeah; I painted those myself, filling in every
> blank white spot. The original drawings were by
> Michael Eby. Of course, I'll never come close to
> the capabilities of rrnut_99 or gp74444. Some
> people think they have too much spare time, but
> their creations are incredible.

Some might say you have too much time. Heck, some might say I have too much time... When does school start back up?

-Justin

Date: 09/02/05 20:08

Cascade Green rules this day! HPX hotshot H314 is seen here headed east powered by the GP50 and the SD45. This train had to have hit close to a scale 70 mph! Check out the video sharing page for a video clip of H314.

EDIT>>> School for me begins this Thursday. Too much time is what summer vacation is all about. Come Thursday, I won't have enough time, and the Toledo & Eastern will become second priority on my list-- following schoolwork. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! (sarcastic)

Date: 09/03/05 15:02
Power shortage on TERW-- as bad as it originally seemed

After engines 3114 and 6549 were returned to active service, the current power issue isn't as bad as it was. However, as trains increase in size on my layout, power problems will re-emerge.

I've been looking around at eBay for a few cheap GE diesels. I'm looking for any GE model with a cheap price, that is today considered as a "big" locomotive. What I had in mind would be something like a Walthers B40-8 or B40-8W, a Spectrum C40-8 or C40-8W, or an Athearn C44-9W or AC4400CW.

What is the quality of the Walthers B40-8? Is it a good buy, or would it end up dead-in-tow on one of my freights like these two units? (Those two units are a Walthers GP8 and a GP15-1, with their motor leads disconnected. They are experiencing massive wiring problems.)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0826 seconds