Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Passenger Trains > AMTRAK - Orlando FL Stations

Date: 10/05/06 03:21
AMTRAK - Orlando FL Stations
Author: mmciau

Greetings,

A friend of mine is wishing to travel by AMTRAK Washington DC Union Station to Orlando Florida.

The Orlando Station that appears to be the destination is adjacent to Sligh Blvd, SW of the Orlando Regional Medical Centre.

I ask?

Is this the main station that AMTRAK uses for Orlando or are there others used in the city?

Also, I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a motel/hotel that is as near as possible to the AMTRAK station(s).

Kind regards

Mike McInerney
Marion, South Australia

Date: 10/05/06 05:52
Re: AMTRAK - Orlando FL Stations
Author: chuchubob

This is the only Amtrak station in Orlando.

Date: 10/05/06 06:46
Author: GBNorman

Orlando is simply not only a transfer point to the array of tourist attractions of which simply none were there 35 years ago, but also it is a major commercial city in its own right. If for whatever reason you desire to stay downtown, you will find all major chains have commercial, as distinct from resort, properties. Check either the brand of your choice's proprietary site or else your favorite travel web site for rates and availability.

Incidentially, there is a railroad themed entertainment district downtown called Church Street Station. I've "been there done that" and I guess it is "nice' if you are in to those kind of areas.

Lastly, if it is your intent to move on after arrival, Hertz offers a staffed rental desk AND autos available right at the station. Other brands can accomodate you, but such will be off premises.

Date: 10/05/06 07:00
Author: stanhunter

Your friend could also go by Auto Train, though he/she must take their car with them to ride Auto Train. The northern Auto Train terminal is in Lorton, VA, not too far south of DC. The south terminal is in Sanford, FL, about 15 miles north of Orlando.

Date: 10/05/06 09:46
Author: sfericsf

Is there a shuttle bus to Disney World?

Date: 10/05/06 11:02
Author: zephyr18

Kissimmee, the next station south of Orlando, is the probably physically closer to Disneyworld (and a huge collection of motels on US 192). That doesn't mean it is anywhere close to walking distance to either. Also, Kissimmee doesn't have a rental car desk.

However, call around. Some motels will probably provide van service to Kissimmee or Orlando stations.

Date: 10/05/06 11:30
Author: NGotwalt

I am fairly certain there are Shuttle buses from Orlando to WDW Resort. We usually take AT so I don't know. Only once when I met family down there and I was coming from Chicago did I take Silver Meteor.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 10/05/06 17:23

chuchubob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the only Amtrak station in Orlando.

chucubob

Would you by any chance recall the name of the street and suburb that this Station is located on please so that I can reference it on mapquest.

Thanks

mike

Date: 10/05/06 18:23
Author: GBNorman

Mr McInerney--

Mr. Vogel (chuchubob) is likely out taking night photos; nevertheless here you go "straight from the horse's mouth"

Date: 10/06/06 10:02
Author: zephyr18

mmciau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> chuchubob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is the only Amtrak station in Orlando.
>
> chucubob
>
> Would you by any chance recall the name of the
> street and suburb that this Station is located on
> please so that I can reference it on mapquest.
>
> Thanks
>
> mike

It is on Sligh and it is in Orlando proper. Other stations in the immediate Orlando area are Winter Park (about 2 of miles north of Orlando station and even further from WDW, which is a little south of Orlando proper), and Kissimmee a few miles south. All trains stop at all 3 stations (except the Sunset, which isn't running, only went as far Orlando). Orlando has the most station services available, such as the rental car counter.

Date: 10/06/06 15:54

> It is on Sligh and it is in Orlando proper. Other
> stations in the immediate Orlando area are Winter
> Park (about 2 of miles north of Orlando station
> and even further from WDW, which is a little south
> of Orlando proper), and Kissimmee a few miles
> south. All trains stop at all 3 stations (except
> the Sunset, which isn't running, only went as far
> Orlando). Orlando has the most station services
> available, such as the rental car counter.

Thanks zephyr18 for your reply - much appreciated

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds