Home Open Account Help 161 users online

Passenger Trains > Luxury Travel Amtrak/Grandluxe Style......

Date: 06/11/07 19:24
Luxury Travel Amtrak/Grandluxe Style......
Author: GNR1938

I know most here are very up to speed on new things.......when did I miss the discussion on the following?

Amtrak to add luxury travel option

Vintage cars with extra amenities to roll on three routes

Cox News Service

WASHINGTON – In an attempt to increase ridership, two railroad companies are reaching back to the luxurious train journeys of the past.

Beginning this fall, travelers with an extra few days and money to spare will be able to climb aboard seven richly equipped vintage Pullman cars attached to Amtrak trains on three routes.

The promotion is a test of a partnership between Amtrak and GrandLuxe Rail Journeys, formerly known as the American Orient Express.

It is the first time the national passenger rail service will be an active participant in promoting luxury travel, said Cliff Black, an Amtrak spokesman.

During the test period from October until January 2008, the service will be provided on Amtrak's Silver Meteor, which travels from Washington to Miami through West Palm Beach, Fla.; the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago; and the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco, which stops in Grand Junction, Colo.

The dining car will offer five-course meals. The luxury cars will be attached to the back of each Amtrak train, which will continue to make regular stops. While conductors will walk between the two segments of the train, passengers will not, and each segment will be treated as its own separate train, said Christina Messa, vice president of marketing for GrandLuxe.

Prices will range from $789 to $2,000 per person for one- or two-night journeys. The new price makes luxury train travel more accessible to those who cannot afford the traditional GrandLuxe nationwide tours that cost up to $7,000 per person, Ms. Messa said.

Luxury sleeping cars with hotel-like comfort, a lounge with a pianist and a dining car that offers five-course meals are some of the amenities.

"Our product isn't about speed or low cost," Ms. Messa said. "It's about luxury, enjoying the experience, and being pampered."

Cox News Service

Date: 06/11/07 19:31
Re: Luxury Travel Amtrak/Grandluxe Style......
Author: GBNorman

Date: 06/11/07 19:46
Author: GNR1938

Thank you........I will go back to my comatose state now.....

Date: 06/11/07 20:25
Author: calzephyr48

I wish them luck!

Date: 06/11/07 21:17
Author: Arkeytek

Now that the subject has been started again, I would like to add my two cents:

I have raced sailboats over 10,000 nautical miles in leinght encompassing over a month of time. I hate cruises. But put me on a slow train to nowhere I am greatly satisfied. Go figure. We have not ridden AOE/GL because my daughter was not old enough. She and I try to take at least one father-daughter trip per year, typically the Starlight to Portland and back (but until they work out the Pacific Parlour Cars, we won't be on anytime soon). These shorter and less expensive tips on GL do make some since and I am looking into this as a possibility next year (bragging: we - my daughter, wife and I - will be taking high speed trains between London, Paris, Nice, Venice, Florence and Rome starting June 23rd). So, I hope the best to GL in this off-season endeavor. There is a place for this. While our upcoming trip occurs only once every 10 years or so, a trip attached to an Amtrak train could become a yearly option.

Date: 06/11/07 22:53
Author: PWB

Not much different than hauling private varnish excursions behind Amtrak. I paid big bucks in April 2006 for a round trip to Santa Fe NM in pvt.cars Metis and Pacific Sands. On rear of #4 LA-Lamy NM. Cut us off on main, Santa Fe Southern hauled us up to Santa Fe. Spent couple of days there hooked up to "hotel" ground power at the depot. SFS hauled us back to Lamy and hooked us up on rear of #3, after they done the station stop and pulled ahead.

PWB
Oxnard CA

Date: 06/12/07 10:19
Author: sfericsf

Hmmm,

I might check out the CHI-SF (EMY) ride on Nov 23rd....

Date: 06/12/07 10:20
Author: BrianJennison

I suspect you'll find it quite a bit different, at least from the service standpoint. All of the private car trips I've taken have been pleasant enough, but none has been to the standards of the old AOE.

Date: 06/12/07 10:46
Author: CarolVoss

BrianJennison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect you'll find it quite a bit different, at
> least from the service standpoint. All of the
> private car trips I've taken have been pleasant
> enough, but none has been to the standards of the
> old AOE.

Well, I dunno. Burt Hermey and Al Bishop do a pretty marvelous job aboard their Silver Lariat and we have ridden the AOE so can certainly make a comparison!!
:-) Matter of fact , we'll be taking the Lariat to Santa Fe and back next month with Burt and Al.
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 06/12/07 14:27
Author: AMRAIL

American Rail Excursions offers a variety of private rail car tours using the Metis open platform observation, the Silver Quail 11-double bedroom sleeper, the Pacific Union 10-6 sleeper, the Henry Hudson diner, the Royal Street round end observation and other fine cars.
American Rail offers the finest in service, meals and beverages at affordable fares.
To receive brochures, please send your United States postal service mailing address to frank@americanrail.com or to American Rail Excursions, PO Box 2345, Dearborn, MI 48123. Ph. 313-300-8411

Date: 06/12/07 21:31
Author: CRPrice

I too have been on a number of private car trips and AOE. In fact my company is even looking for a car for our business. I would have to say that the service is a matter of perception and expectation.

I have also been aboard the Silver Lariat for business and casual occasions and would echo the comments of Ms. Voss. Their professional service and crew makes the trip.

I have also been on other casual trips, most notably one regular operator in the Midwest and the food and service was marginal at best yet other people -- having never been on a private train thought it was just wonderful.

Somehow my idea of "professional" service is not dressing ones family members, relatives and volunteers up to work a train trip and then having a "sumptuous" buffet as a dinner just wasn't in line with my expectations. The service wasn't what I would expect for what I was paying.

From all appearances that I had it was done as cost saving measure and, at least to me, lessened the whole experience. I will not go back to them despite the quantity of trips, "affordable fares", etc., they offer as to me it's a waste. Again, however, ones expectations may be less than mine and if you are looking for a train ride on a private car(s) it may be nice for you. They seem to have repeat business which is good for them but as I said I won't go back.

I wish Grand Luxe all the best in their new endeavor as they may have found a new niche.

C.R.Price
Birmingham, AL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0767 seconds