Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Passenger Trains > From the Window of A Train: Capitol Limited, part II

Date: 10/07/07 14:45
From the Window of A Train: Capitol Limited, part II
Author: bandob

Part II of a trip on #30, October 4, 2007. this will cover Cumberland, MD to Washington, DC.

We begin East of the Cumberland Station, where when one looks to the West the Narrows is clearly seen. the national Road (US40), the B&O, and the Western Maryland all went through this narrow gap.

Large yards stretch along the tracks, here is a tower and the hump.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 14:47
Re: From the Window of A Train: Capitol Limited, part I

Mexico tower, modern in appearance but no longer in service represents the easternmost point of the yards, as we pass an Eastbound freight. Maryland farm country then begins.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 14:50

The railroad follows the Potomac River from Cumberland to Cherry Run, WV. The twists and turns make for numerous crossings in the western part of the state.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 14:52

Tree color is not yet as intense as that earlier in the day in Pennsylvania. Much of the way along the river is obstructed by trees and saplings, but with care and a bit of luck nice views can be obtained.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 14:53

A small yard at Hancock, MD provides some interesting equipment. PAN AM makes it to Maryland, and two caboose relics look to be still in service.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 14:55

Most of these photos were taken from the sightseer lounge seen here. One section of the Potomac hosted a flock of Canada geese, but getting them in photo proved difficult.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 14:59

In addition to luck and persistence, a slow order was found to be of great use in getting good river shots.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 15:00

One can only imagine how wonderful the view must have been when the railroad was first constructed, and all the trees were gone.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 15:02

Harper's Ferry continues the wonderful views, now with the addition of cliffs and cliff-side dwellings.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 15:07

The Appalachian Trail crosses at Harper's Ferry, and the Winchester branch turns off to the south.

Six miles from Harper's Ferry are the Brunswick, MD yards, still active and hosting lots of motive power. Note the one diesel still in C&O paint!

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 15:09

Brunswick yard had everything from C&O to the modern so-called "Dark Future" blue. Point of Rocks tunnel is one that was made single track, with a shoo-fly around the edge of the outcropping.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 15:12

Point of Rocks is the junction with the Old Main Line to Baltimore, and the classic Francis Baldwin station remains a landmark. At this point, I turned my attention to packing up. At Washington, I did point the camera out the window at one of Amtrak's yard engines. The Washington METRO Red Line was along side, with the relatively new station at New York Avenue.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 15:19

We came into the lower level, allowing a peek at the westbound #29 in place for its later departure. We were about 1 hour late. As I walked across the window area toward the main station, I couldn't resist a shot of this unit moving towards the tunnel. I didn't tarry, though, as the police presence was heavy. In fact, I saw several carrying Uzi's, and dogs as well.

I may be old fashioned, and showing my age, but does anybody else think that the "hard" uniform of all black, with jack boots, bloused trousers, etc. has an intimidating, SS-like resemblance? I know there are some police officers on the board, what is the rationale for such an appearance? I see it not just with Amtrak Police, but police in general. Does everybody have to look like a SWAT team?

All in all, though, it was another fine trip.

B&O B

Date: 10/07/07 19:07
Author: SVTS

Wow, great series of pic's from an area I know all too well, my home state of Maryland. And from a perspective I have yet to enjoy.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 10/07/07 20:57
Author: missedcall

What a beautiful area to see from a train. thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/09/07 16:13
Author: ProAmtrak

Looks like even though you were 1 hour late, the trip was worth it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0924 seconds