Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Passenger Trains > Caltrain and bad reporting

Date: 10/07/07 11:22
Caltrain and bad reporting
Author: NI030

I wonder where they put the train after they took it off the tracks? :-) Sounds like a break down on model railroad. Trains breaks down, you just pick it up and get it out of the way.

Sunday Oct 7
Caltrain schedule back on track

Bay City News

A Caltrain train traveling from San Jose to San Francisco had mechanical problems Saturday around 9:40 a.m. and had to be removed from the tracks just north of Redwood City, causing temporary delays, a spokesman said.

Train passengers experienced delays for about an hour and a half because they had to be transported to San Carlos and rerouted.

The train that had mechanical problems, No. 425, was scheduled to leave San Francisco around 11 a.m. but it never showed up, causing more delays.

Date: 10/07/07 11:52
Re: Caltrain and bad reporting
Author: MarinCommuter

"Bad reporting" and "Bay City New Service" are synonymous. But it could be a case of careless editing, rather than a poor choice of words by the reporter.

Date: 10/07/07 12:01
Author: stone23

I always like the subtle humor in these threads. At least we don't always take our hobby/vocation too seriously.

Date: 10/07/07 12:09
Author: NightCoast

Whew and I thought it was just me having a bad day.

Axy

Date: 10/07/07 19:02
Author: keithinmiami

Thanks for adding a little humor to my Sunday evening. Although back in south Florida now, I yook the Capitol Corridor trains R/T from Emeryville to Sacramento ten days ago without delay, derailment or any other unfortunate circumstances.
:-)

Date: 10/07/07 19:21
Author: fjc

Don't laugh too hard, there was a certain official of a certain governing agency who thought by simulating things on his model railroad could be applied to prototype practices, kid you not! His logic was, well it worked well on my model railroad, so it will work out here. Ah, sorry, modeling roading is simulating the prototype, not the other way around.

silagi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder where they put the train after they took
> it off the tracks? :-) Sounds like a break down
> on model railroad. Trains breaks down, you just
> pick it up and get it out of the way.
>

Date: 10/07/07 19:55

Axy_Dent Wrote:
> Whew and I thought it was just me having a bad
> day.

Yeah you got a work out the other day. So much for a nice kick back Saturday morning at SJ Control :-) You at least provided entertainment for me while I was having a very boring day at work. I was dispatching on the San Carlos PD radio, and was chomping at the bit to send my cops over to the depot for the riot that was about to break out :-)

Date: 10/07/07 20:03
Author: a737flyer

A few years ago, a reporter was at Washington National Airport when a shuttle flight landed, having returned from a trip to New York when they had an engine failure. A reporter happened to be in the gate when the crew got off the airplane. This reporter asked what had happened and one of them said they had "...lost an engine." The reporter for the Washington Post reported that an Eastern flight had lost an engine and crews were out searcing for it somewhere in the Baltimore area..."

True story...

Date: 10/07/07 21:44
Author: calhog

silagi Wrote:
> I wonder where they put the train after they took
> it off the tracks? :-) Sounds like a break down
> on model railroad. Trains breaks down, you just
> pick it up and get it out of the way.
>
> Sunday Oct 7
> Caltrain schedule back on track
>
> Bay City News
>
> A Caltrain train traveling from San Jose to San
> Francisco had mechanical problems Saturday around
> 9:40 a.m. and had to be removed from the tracks
> just north of Redwood City, causing temporary
> delays, a spokesman said.
>
> Train passengers experienced delays for about an
> hour and a half because they had to be transported
> to San Carlos and rerouted.
>
> The train that had mechanical problems, No. 425,
> was scheduled to leave San Francisco around 11
> a.m. but it never showed up, causing more delays.

Actually, No. 425 wasn't scheduled to leave San Francisco at all. Being a northbound train, it was scheduled to arrive there at 10:36 a.m., then turn as No. 428 at 11 a.m. We all probably knew what they meant, but to the average reader, it sounds like No. 425 originated in San Francisco.
Whatever, there's hardly a day goes by that Caltrain doesn't experience some sort of breakdown.

Date: 10/07/07 23:49
Author: tmamtrak

Happened again in the afternoon, different problem on different equipment. Measured excessive flat spots on the cab car 4011 train 439 (ATT Yellow Pages train), restricted to 30mph from Mountain View to SF. Train terminated at Millbrae at 6:02pm, passengers took train 441 to SF, resulting in just over an hour's worth of delay for them.

Date: 10/08/07 07:20

But now that CEMOF is open, I am sure all these breakdowns will become a rarity instead of the norm. :-)

Date: 10/08/07 11:37
Author: TopCat

silagi Wrote:
> But now that CEMOF is open, I am sure all these
> breakdowns will become a rarity instead of the
> norm. :-)

Yeah, CEMOF will fix all our problems ;-)

Thanks for riding.

TopCat

Date: 10/08/07 12:50
Author: fjc

What you guys been smoking :)

TopCat Wrote:
> silagi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But now that CEMOF is open, I am sure all these
> > breakdowns will become a rarity instead of the
> > norm. :-)
>
> Yeah, CEMOF will fix all our problems ;-)
>
> Thanks for riding.
>
> TopCat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds