Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 10/07/07 23:12
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/21 00:49 by F40PHR231.

Date: 10/08/07 04:53
Re: A Portland MAX Tour
Author: Macster

Great set of photos Chris! Say, do you happen to know what LRV has the electronic bell on it? Pretty unique sounding too. Another question for you... that 'Purple Line' are they bringing that right up to Beaverton TC? I'm assuming so by the look in the photo but that's just odd. Never heard of a LRT to Commuter Rail.

Looking forward to the Streetcar and "Da Shore" pics

Brian

Date: 10/08/07 07:19
Author: stone23

OK, I confess I am "Bob" and my interest in Portland transit goes back to my teen-age years when in WWII, the US Army in its infinite wisdom sent me (a born and raised Clevelander) to the University of Oregon at Eugene for a year to study Engineering (ugh!) My weekends were of course spent in Portland riding the narrow gauge streetcar lines, the standard gauge interurban lines, and watching the still electric freight operation of the Oregon Electric Ry. between downtown Portland and Eugene.

Having Chris as a host is quite an honor and I do enjoy sharing the old and new Portland rail systems with him. Actually I have developed one family railfan, (my high school age 4th grandson) who always introduces himself as "his train grandson"!

I also confess that I use some of Chris' fotos as my screen saver!

Date: 10/08/07 09:18
Author: AndyD

Macster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty unique sounding too. Another question for
> you... that 'Purple Line' are they bringing that
> right up to Beaverton TC? I'm assuming so by the
> look in the photo but that's just odd. Never heard
> of a LRT to Commuter Rail.

The "Purple Line" is a short commuter rail line being built utilizing the P&W's line between Beaverton (west of Portland), and Wilsonville (south of Portland). Fair amount of business and housing in both areas, running roughly along Highway 217 and Interstate 5. Equipment will be Colorado Railcar DMU's.

More info here: http://www.trimet.org/commuterrail/project.htm

Date: 10/08/07 10:52
Author: pepperidge

Thanks for the ride. We get up to Portland every other year or so and make it a point to ride the MAX. Have not taken the route up Interstate Blvd. yet--they were just finishing up during our last visit. Regardless of anyone's opinion on the value of light rail (in terms of necessity, fare recovery, etc.)Portland's operation is first class.

As an aside, MAX is a fun way to railfan parts of the P&W.

Pepperidge

Date: 10/08/07 18:45
Author: wigwagfan

pepperidge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regardless of anyone's opinion on the
> value of light rail (in terms of necessity, fare
> recovery, etc.)Portland's operation is first
> class.

On Sunday we headed up to the Expo Center to the Home & Garden Show.

On the Interstate Avenue alignment, northbound, alone, I counted THREE malfunctioning TVMs. That's in addition to the one in Beaverton Creek and one at Elmonica.

Just behind us by about five minutes, a southbound MAX train hit a bicyclist at Interstate & Greeley. As a result of this, my train (northbound, having already passed where the incident occurred behind us) was held at Vanport/Delta Park (awaiting clearance to Expo Center). I was under the assumption that southbound trains were held up, so there were three trains at Expo Center - one at each track.

I was wrong. We walked the half mile to find one train and two empty tracks.

Just another day in the life of MAX.

Date: 10/08/07 20:35
Author: mundo

Great that the two of you could swap stories. But none of your photo's shows Bob.

Guess my photos of Bob would have to go back into the 1960's.

Date: 10/09/07 07:24
Author: KeyRouteKen

Well guys--there always has to be a "naysayer" thrown in for good measure. I enjoyed the photos taken by "Chris".. But I'm thinking that his friend "Bob" must be 105 years old..
Reason: Well, the Portland Traction Company quit running streetcars and interurbans around February--1958. However, The Oregon Electric was already dieselized for years. So I can't really see how "Bob" saw any "electric freight action" on the OE !!
When visiting central Oregon in those early days, I never saw any overhead wire installed except around Portland for the PTC... I traveled to Eugene, Albany, Lebanon, etc..
No electrics!!
Electric PASSENGER operation on the OE ended on June 30, 1933...

Electric FREIGHT operation ended on the OE on July 10, 1945...
What say thou, Mr. Bob ???

KRK

Date: 10/09/07 08:20
Author: stone23

Key route Ken,

You have an arithmetic problem. If I was a teenager in 1943 I certainly am not 105 in 2007. Besides which I just heard of a man who was celebrating his 107th birthday. He has lived in the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. He could be my father!

Bob

Date: 10/09/07 08:41
"Jihad not allowed without a proper permit"
Author: Diddle_E._Squat

Seriously, is the electronic sign in picture 11 displaying a Middle Eastern language?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds