Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak discounts

Date: 04/13/08 18:27
Amtrak discounts
Author: KV1guy

To those of you that work for Amtrak....do you get any discounts on travel for you or your family?

Date: 04/13/08 20:35
Re: Amtrak discounts
Author: rovertrain

I'm pretty sure they get free travel on Amtrak.

Date: 04/13/08 20:50
Author: hesdjjim

I overheard one conductor say something along the lines of, "Yeah, Amtrak would let me ride for free, but do you really think I'd want to ride the train on my day off?"

Date: 04/13/08 20:54
Author: BMH

Used to be free travel if space was available, then there was the Red White Blue Days. Dont know what Amtrak has now

Have a Safe Day
BMH

Date: 04/14/08 00:56
Author: jeffgeldner

Another item worth mentioning is a courtesy "under the table" free ride often given fellow railroad employees. A friend of mine worked for Via Rail Canada and, when traveling coach, he would board without a ticket- offer to pay- but was always given a free ride by Amtrak crew members when he showed them his Via I.D. (In the case of reserved trains, he would make a last minute reservation but, again, was not charged).
Naturally, railroads throughout North America reciprocated regarding pass privileges but that ended with Amtrak. Anyone who worked in freight or passenger service for a railroad (which joined Amtrak)prior to May 1, 1971 was given free travel over their home railroad on Amtrak- and 50% off other routes. Likewise, on a space available basis, sleeper accommodations were sold to such employees (and retirees) at a 50% discount. This may have changed, but was the policy as of several years ago.

Jeff Geldner
Yosemite National Park, California

Date: 04/14/08 06:52
Author: dzeph

One employee told me that free coach available anytime and one free sleeper trip every five years.

Date: 04/14/08 07:32
Author: CountryBoy

Still doing the red white and blue days

Red Coach/sleeper 80% of lowest fare no refund

White Coach/sleeper 80% of lowest fare and if not sold out it gets refunded

Blue Coach free Sleeper n/a

starting at 10 anniversary and every 5th anniversary voucher for sleeper trip

Date: 04/14/08 08:28
Author: hoghead22

jeffgeldner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Anyone who worked in freight or
> passenger service for a railroad (which joined
> Amtrak)prior to May 1, 1971 was given free travel
> over their home railroad on Amtrak- and 50% off
> other routes. Likewise, on a space available
> basis, sleeper accommodations were sold to such
> employees (and retirees) at a 50% discount. This
> may have changed, but was the policy as of several
> years ago.

I am one of those old fossils who predate Amtrak, and I can tell you the so-called pass privileges have been drastically reduced, regardless of what CountryBoy quotes in his post. Two weeks ago I was quoted a price of $740 round trip Chgo to Denver for wife and I in early May ahead of the so-called summer rush or increased fare days, and while BN is not my "home road" and we haven't traveled in an Amtrak sleeper in a number of years, wouldn't the pass count for more than that?? What is full fare these days for the public between those cities with a sleeper each way? As much as we dislike it, we're flying r.t. for $318 total for both us us.

Date: 04/14/08 08:35
Author: ChS7-321

hoghead22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I am one of those old fossils who predate Amtrak,
> and I can tell you the so-called pass privileges
> have been drastically reduced, regardless of what
> CountryBoy quotes in his post. Two weeks ago I
> was quoted a price of $740 round trip Chgo to
> Denver for wife and I in early May ahead of the
> so-called summer rush or increased fare days, and

Was the $740 r/t per person, or total for both of you?

Date: 04/14/08 09:44
Author: reindeerflame

I got to know an Amtrak ticket agent well a few years ago, and he never, ever used his pass to travel on Amtrak, even though lots of potentially free travel was involved.

On the other hand, when I had access to an Amtrak pass, I used it superextensively to go to places where it arguably wasn't even valid.

Date: 04/14/08 12:31

The original question was about Amtrak Employees that is what I answered!!!

just went back and checked

>>>>To those of you that work for Amtrak

Yep I was correct

I don't know about freight rail employee passes except that there are some out there

CB

Date: 04/14/08 22:07
Author: smitty195

What is meant by red, white and blue coach/sleepers? Never heard of 'em.

Date: 04/15/08 07:35
Re: Amtrak discounts for UP employees
Author: tomd6

Amtrak Passes

To be eligible for an Amtrak pass, a Union Pacific Railroad employee must have been hired prior to April 27, 1981.

* Employees hired on or after May 1, 1971 and prior to April 27, 1981, are eligible for a 25% discount.
* Employees hired prior to April 30, 1971, are entitled to free travel on their home road and a 50% reduction in fare over the balance of the Amtrak System.
* Spouses and dependents have the same privileges as the pass holder. Dependents are eligible for pass privileges until age 18 or age 25 if they are attending college.

Employees originally hired by the Chicago & North Western Railroad, Western Pacific Railroad or the Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railroad are not eligible for an Amtrak pass. At the time Amtrak implemented their present pass program, both participating and non-participating Amtrak carriers were given an opportunity to sign an agreement with Amtrak for the provision of pass privilege for their employees. The C&NW, WP and MKT Railroads elected not to accept the Amtrak agreement. Since they did not have travel privileges prior to the merger, they are not eligible for an Amtrak card as a result of the merger.

In order for the surviving spouse of a now-deceased employee to be eligible for an Amtrak pass, that employee would have to have been hired on or before May 1, 1952. Dependents of widow(ers) are not eligible for an Amtrak pass.

To request an Amtrak pass, please call the Amtrak Department at (402) 544-1454.

Source: UP Web Site

Date: 04/15/08 09:32

Red, White, Blue refers to the day the train leaves the originating station. Sometimes known as the red white and blue calender

A Red day has historically had a higher percentage of a train being sold out
A Blue day has the lowest percentage of a train being sold out and white is in the middle

On a RED day the employee will pay 80% of the lowest fare with no possibility of a refund (coach or sleeper)

On a White day the Employee will pay that same 80% BUT if the train DOES NOT sell out, the fare will be refunded and the travel is free (coach or sleeper) If the train DOES sell out the fare will not be refunded

On a blue day the employee travels for free in coach only

CB

Date: 04/15/08 19:32
Author: golden-spike

YES WE DO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds