Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Passenger Trains > "Beginning of New Era in Passenger Rail Service" (AP)

Date: 12/13/08 09:32
"Beginning of New Era in Passenger Rail Service" (AP)
Author: rbx551985

From various news sources:

Beginning of New Era in Passenger Rail Service

Washington, DC ā€“ U.S. Rep. John L. Mica (R-FL), Republican Leader of the U.S. House

Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and officials with the City of Washington, DC and the
Board of Amtrak will hold a press conference at Washington, DCā€™s Union Station on Monday for a
major announcement in a new effort in passenger rail service for the Northeast Corridor and other areas of the United States.

WHO:
- U.S. Rep. John L. Mica (R-FL), Republican Leader, U.S. House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure...
- Dan Tangherlini, City Administrator and Deputy Mayor, Washington, DC; former DC Department of Transportation (DDOT) Director...
- Donna McLean, Chairman of the Board, Amtrak...
- Other Government, Amtrak officials.

WHAT: Passenger Rail Press Conference
WHEN: 4:00 PM, Monday, December 15, 2008
WHERE:
Starlight Room, Union Station (between Amtrak Gates C & D)
50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002

Date: 12/13/08 09:39
Re: "Beginning of New Era in Passenger Rail Service" (A
Author: ChS7-321

The fact that this panel is chaired by #1 and #3 is making personally me nervous. :)

Should be interesting to hear what will be presented.

Date: 12/13/08 11:19
Author: floridajoe2001

Boy! this is something. I just can't believe it--it's so out of character. I mean--hear we have John Mica who has been more critical of Amtrak than even John McCain, and Donna McLean, an arch-typical Bush Administration political appointee, and these are the people who plan to make a "major announcement" on a "new effort in passenger rail service". It's like the Devil getting Religeon.

However, if they are trying to get the jump on Obama and his promised "changes", great! Who cares if yesterday's enemies are now our friends.

I hope some of my fellow railfans will now start to get excited along with me about a possible new day for Amtrak support. Bring on the money!

Date: 12/13/08 11:55
Author: RNinRVR

Looking at who is on that list, it is probably an attempt to preempt the incoming administration by announcing that they are moving forward with contracting out service to some private firm like BKR.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/13/08 12:27
Author: floridajoe2001

You know, Sharon, you present a very scary thought! When you think about it, it makes sense that these two anti-Amtrak people would suggest things like "privatization" or spinning off the NEC again. This may be their last chance to damage Amtrak before Obama starts to "clean house" in the Transportation area.

What could their "Major" announcement consist of? I wouldn't call such things as adding a train "major"; nor improving the Baltimore tunnels "major". I wouldn't even call a 5" speedup of Acela "major". I WOULD call splitting off the Corridor truly "major". Oh! no!

Date: 12/13/08 17:30
Author: ts1457

floridajoe2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boy! this is something. I just can't believe
> it--it's so out of character. I mean--hear we
> have John Mica who has been more critical of
> Amtrak than even John McCain, and Donna McLean, an
> arch-typical Bush Administration political
> appointee, and these are the people who plan to
> make a "major announcement" on a "new effort in
> passenger rail service". It's like the Devil
> getting Religeon.
>
> However, if they are trying to get the jump on
> Obama and his promised "changes", great! Who
> cares if yesterday's enemies are now our friends.

Let's see - Mica was instrumental in getting the Amtrak reauthorization through. McLean hires Boardman for a year after canning Kummant, and Boardman promptly says he favors a "national system". My guess is that they are trying to make sure passenger train equipment and infrastructure get included in any stimulus plan. I suppose we'll find out Monday afternoon.

Date: 12/13/08 18:20
Author: smitty195

You guys with your Amtrak conspiracy theories about Bush and Amtrak are amazing. Thanks for the chuckle.

Date: 12/13/08 18:33
Author: hsr_fan

Word on the street is they're announcing that Super Steel Schenectady is being given a contract for 250 Turboliner trainsets.

Date: 12/13/08 18:41
Author: cutboy2

If they dwell on 15 billion for HSR in the NEC Amtrak has said it best... that money would best be spent by spreading it nationally to worthy projects.

Date: 12/13/08 19:04
Author: djansson

Mica is a "True Believer" in the Invisible Hand of the Free Market. That said, he somehow thinks that, released from all government controls, regulations, union contracts, environmental restrictions, funding, (and the laws of physics, including Gravity) rail transportation can succeed.

He's a Class A1 ditz and has no real power - Thank God. Anything he says is just for PR and to make his campaign contributors happy; and not one damn thing more.

Date: 12/13/08 19:51
Author: sevenmilesiding

"Ladies and gentlemen, the old Amtrak era is over! We will re brand this service, slap some new paint on the trains, and change logos! All will be better! Snack packs for all!" Sorry but after 37 years, this is what I expect will happen in a nutshell. Hope I'm wrong.

Date: 12/13/08 23:25
Author: korotaj

A Trojan Locomotive.

Date: 12/13/08 23:39
Author: Cal

Its called... California High Speed Rail..

Date: 12/14/08 08:56
Author: sfericsf

Maybe they're going to give the auto industry bail out money to Amtrak instead???

Date: 12/14/08 14:48
Author: OliveHeights

My guess is this is going to be more of a dud than anything earth shaking.

They will probably say they will be asking for more money. Yawn.

On the other hand, with a D.C. deputy mayor present maybe they will announce that photography is OK in the DC station. ;)

Date: 12/14/08 17:51
Author: lowwater

I'm sorry, but this is like Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Rex W. Tillerson (CEO of Exxon), Robert W. Johnson (Commissioner of the Bureau of Reclamation, i.e. dam builders), and George E.L. Glasier (President and CEO of Energy Fuels Nuclear, the largest uranium producer in the US), giving notice that in two days they will announce a new vision for the development of Grand Canyon National Park.

Be afraid. Be very afraid......

lowwater

Date: 12/15/08 00:05
Author: CalZephyr

Service to Las Vegas, NV!

To begin April 1.

hahahahahahhaa!

Date: 12/15/08 09:41
Author: smitty195

I hate to burst the bubble of the Bush/Amtrak conspiracy folks, but here is what it is:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,1825579

Sorry, Bush didn't kill your Amtrak this time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds