Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Passenger Trains > Santa Clara & San Jose Diridon Construction Progress

Date: 10/12/10 13:05
Santa Clara & San Jose Diridon Construction Progress
Author: nickrgeorge

I stopped by the Santa Clara and San Jose Diridon stations this morning to check out how the construction projects are coming along. Santa Clara is getting a center platform and pedestrian underpass installed, while San Jose is getting two new platforms (4 more depot tracks). More info on these projects can be found here http://www.caltrain.com/projectsplans/Projects/Caltrain_Capital_Program/Santa_Clara_and_South_Terminal_Station_Improvements.html . Sorry for the low photo quality, I took these with my iPhone.

1-3. The pedestrian tunnel at Santa Clara.

Date: 10/12/10 13:10
Re: Santa Clara & San Jose Diridon Construction Progres

4-5. The relocated main lines at Santa Clara looking North, then South towards San Jose. In photo 4, the new center platform will be between the second and third tracks from the left, giving Santa Clara three tracks for boarding. The current platform on the far left will be rebuilt after the work is finished.

6. The two new platforms in San Jose, looking North.

Date: 10/12/10 13:12

7-8. At San Jose, looking East, then South.

Date: 10/12/10 17:53
Author: RV009

Yup, they're doing well for a company that's running out of money and cutting jobs and service.

Date: 10/12/10 19:36
Author: DNRY122

Although all money looks the same, "operating funds" and "capital improvement funds" often come from different "money bags". If the voters approve a measure providing money (and even raising a tax) for capital improvements, that money can't be used for paying train crew wages or buying locomotive fuel. I'm sure someone with a background in government financing and accounting can provide a more expert report on such matters, but this is the short version.

Date: 10/12/10 23:14
Author: Evan_Werkema

I heard rumblings some time ago that the project would require moving the preserved Santa Clara Tower. I see the tower is still in place, and there's no mention of relocating it in the article in the Summer/Fall 2010 "Santa Clara Block" newsletter from the SBHRS. Is a move still on the horizon, or have they found a way to build around the tower where it stands?

Date: 10/13/10 09:45
Author: CarolVoss

Hey, Nick---I understand that Ken Middlebrooke has put up a wonderful exhibit in the station about the history of transportation in Santa Clara Valley. How about taking some pics of it and sharing it here for those of us who fortunately don't live in San Jose anymore?? :-)
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 10/13/10 10:39
Author: peh934

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard rumblings some time ago that the project
> would require moving the preserved Santa Clara
> Tower. I see the tower is still in place, and
> there's no mention of relocating it in the article
> in the Summer/Fall 2010 "Santa Clara Block"
> newsletter from the SBHRS. Is a move still on the
> horizon, or have they found a way to build around
> the tower where it stands?

I don't believe that this project requires relocation of the Santa Clara Tower. My memory is the project that would require the move was the extension of the 4 track segment at Lawrence south through Santa Clara. Given the planning for HSR, I'm not sure what the status of that project is, but I'm guessing it won't happen in the immediate future.

Date: 10/13/10 10:43

CarolVoss Wrote:
> Hey, Nick---I understand that Ken Middlebrooke has
> put up a wonderful exhibit in the station about
> the history of transportation in Santa Clara
> Valley. How about taking some pics of it and
> sharing it here for those of us who fortunately
> don't live in San Jose anymore?? :-)
> C.

I'll try! Every time I'm there, the museum seems to be closed. I think the open hours run while I'm in class.

Date: 10/13/10 19:21
Author: KMiddlebrook

nickrgeorge Wrote:
> CarolVoss Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey, Nick---I understand that Ken Middlebrook
> has
> > put up a wonderful exhibit in the station about
> > the history of transportation in Santa Clara
> > Valley. How about taking some pics of it and
> > sharing it here for those of us who fortunately
> > don't live in San Jose anymore?? :-)
> > C.
>
> I'll try! Every time I'm there, the museum seems
> to be closed. I think the open hours run while
> I'm in class.

The "Way to San Jose" exhibit will be in new display cases installed within the Diridon waiting room. The exhibit opens Tuesday, October 19 at noon.
Ken

Date: 10/14/10 12:09
Author: IHC

I hope the Capitols and ACE will stop at Santa Clara Caltrain when this is finished.

Date: 10/14/10 14:09

IHC Wrote:
> I hope the Capitols and ACE will stop at Santa
> Clara Caltrain when this is finished.

ACE has already confirmed that they will stop here when the work is finished. The Capitol Corridor hasn't officially said anything, but there's definitely a good chance of them doing so also.

Here's a quick diagram I made of the new station configuration vs the old. Caltrain primarily uses MT 3 and 2, while ACE, Amtrak and UP use MT1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0845 seconds