Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak sees surge in ridership over last decade

Date: 05/20/11 11:33
Amtrak sees surge in ridership over last decade
Author: elu34ch

Date: 05/20/11 12:25
Re: Amtrak sees surge in ridership over last decade
Author: floridajoe2001

Can't believe it--an article not written by a "SCREAMING NAY-SAYER". Thanks. I'm afraid Rex Roy (and others) are not going to like it.

Joe

Date: 05/20/11 12:31
Author: DavidP

“Trains take extra time between delays and connections on top of the actual trip duration," said Ed Crowell, a businessman who travels frequently by train between Houston and Dallas.

I can only imagine the delays and extra time this poor guy is spending if he's trying to get from Dallas to Houston by train :-)

Dallas to Houston is a mere 16.5 hours with a convenient two hour connection at San Antonio. The other direction take 18.5 hours, with a four middle-of-the-night layover. And best of all, this odyssey can be sampled three days per week.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/11 12:37 by DavidP.

Date: 05/20/11 13:04
Author: Lackawanna484

Three and a half to four hours by car, via I-45. Of course, on a Sunday night, the drive might be six hours.

Lots of air service between these points, at least 84 one way flights among the several airports, so there's a market It's about 250 miles, sounds like it would be fine for higher speed, 100 mph - 250mph, trains. I wonder why the administration didn't put it on their list of HSR candidates? It certainly seems more worthy than Tampa to Orlando.

Date: 05/20/11 13:07
Author: hazegray

DavidP Wrote:
And best of all,
> this odyssey can be sampled three days per week.
>
> Dave

The Canadian can also be sampled three days a week.... and right now it's running with 20 cars -- so there are a lot of riders despite the schedule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/11 14:27 by hazegray.

Date: 05/20/11 13:15
Author: reindeerflame

Amtrak has also experienced a surge in costs, meaning more passengers do not particularly improve its finances.

And the last person quoted about Washington-Boston points out that a 7-hour trip is beyond acceptability for most people....illustrating the "trains today are most competitive for trip times under 4 hours" principle, which is well-established.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/11 13:19 by reindeerflame.

Date: 05/20/11 14:03
Author: P

hazegray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DavidP Wrote:
> And best of all,
> > this odyssey can be sampled three days per week.
>
> >
> > Dave
>
>
>
> The Canadian can also be sampled three days a
> week.... and right now it's running with 20 cars.

??????

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0292 seconds