Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Passenger Trains > Transit-accessible railfanning locations

Date: 03/23/12 12:15
Transit-accessible railfanning locations
Author: march_hare

I've always had a weak spot for places where you can railfan without a car--especially places where you can ride transit and see something other than transit (ie freight traffic).

Here's one of my favorites: the Mt Royal stop on Baltimore's light rail line, which looks directly down on the portal of CSX's Mt Royal tunnel. Alas, in several visits, I've never managed to put the prefect shot together: a northbound emegring from the tunnel just as a light rail car makes a stop.

Anybody else have some favorites? I can think of some in Boston, Philly, Chicago...

Date: 03/23/12 12:27
Re: Transit-accessible railfanning locations
Author: railwaybaron

Sure, take the LA Metro Rail Gold Line onto LA Union Station platforms. Then walk to the end of the long platform--but do not cross the tracks except by a pedestrian tunnel. You are now on "Candid Camera" but so far if you stay on the platform you're okay. The folks are mostly worried about you being hit by a baggage and Red Cap carts...there are many. I found that I was particularly welcome when wearing a HI-VIZ vest, hardhat, steel-tipped boots and safety glasses.

Date: 03/23/12 20:01
Author: cchan006

railwaybaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure, take the LA Metro Rail Gold Line onto LA
> Union Station platforms. Then walk to the end of
> the long platform--but do not cross the tracks
> except by a pedestrian tunnel. You are now on
> "Candid Camera" but so far if you stay on the
> platform you're okay. The folks are mostly worried
> about you being hit by a baggage and Red Cap
> carts...there are many. I found that I was
> particularly welcome when wearing a HI-VIZ vest,
> hardhat, steel-tipped boots and safety glasses.

Yup. When I used the crossing at the north end of the platforms, someone on the PA courteously reminded people about staying off the tracks, and so forth. I'm sure he saw me (and my camera). Second the advice on using the pedestrian tunnel instead.

I've railfanned without a car many times. Popular locations would be Fullerton in Southern California, and Emeryville, Martinez, and Sacramento in Northern California. Not so popular place would be Roseville and Stockton, as visiting Roseville requires a little planning. Stockton has 2 different stations, and going to Kern Jct. (the Stockton Diamonds) requires a walk from either stations in questionable neighborhoods.

Date: 03/25/12 08:28
Author: railstiesballast

San Jose's VTA takes you to the Caltrain/Amtrak nee SP San Jose station and the north line takes you to the Mountain View (?) Caltrain station.
San Francisco MUNI takes you to the Caltrain station.
San Diego Trolley parallels the Amtrak/Coaster/BNSF from downtown to Old Town (about 4 miles north) and the SDIV to the south (but no daytime trains to see here, just the yard at San Yisidro).
IIRC the Chicago elevated lines parallel several freight lines in places, some stops would work for pix (but I don't know the 'hood).
Los Angeles Metrolink to San Bernardino Depot is a place to see dozens of UP and BNSF trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds