Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Passenger Trains > Xpress West now 190 mph - intersting article

Date: 09/04/12 01:14
Xpress West now 190 mph - intersting article
Author: Mgoldman

VegasInc.com:

Partner outlines vision for high-speed rail system

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/sep/03/partner-outlines-vision-high-speed-rail-system/

"Some of XpressWest’s critics say the 150-mph trains are the lowest form of high-speed rail
and the company should be looking more at European and Asian technology that travels much
faster. Any regrets about using the Bombardier technology and not other companies’ trains
or, for that matter, maglev technology?

We’re going to go 190 mph."

The article details many aspects of the plan.

/Mitch

Date: 09/04/12 05:19
Re: Xpress West now 190 mph - intersting article
Author: billio

Pretty soon we'll be seeing 125-mph touted...

Date: 09/04/12 06:53
Author: abyler

Interesting to compare their timeline to that of All Aboard Florida.

"Based on your construction schedule, when could the first passenger board?

"The project schedule does some overlapping. The engineering will take a year, but we’ll have more than enough engineering to start construction in six months. I think the actual construction will take four years. We’ve allotted six months for testing, but we know we can start testing at a minimum of six months before completion. So, from the time that we get the loan to the time we run the first passenger, we’re looking at a maximum of five years."

That matches the timeline of 5 years for New Mexico Rail Runner, and my suggested timeline of 5 years for Miami to Orlando. It also took 5 years to do each segment of Utah's FrontRunner. Similarly, Orlando SunRail will take 5 years of engineering and construction, ignoring the delay caused by the legislature and Governor between 2009 and 2012.

Date: 09/04/12 06:58
Author: abyler

Another interesting quote on a topic that has been endlessly beaten to death here.

"Why Victorville?

"I may have had a bit of an advantage because for 10 years I was the CEO of a public company that owned the Rio. I could look at the slot cards of my customers that list their ZIP codes. That was an ingenious thing.

"Steve Wynn (chairman of Wynn Resorts), Jim Murren (CEO of MGM Resorts International) and Sheldon Adelson (chairman of Las Vegas Sands and owner of the Venetian) were doing that – looking at where their driving customers were coming from. And they’re not coming from Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Laguna Beach or downtown Los Angeles. They’re coming from the Inland Empire.

"The Inland Empire is only 40 minutes away from Victorville. That’s why it makes sense."

Date: 09/04/12 12:40
Author: RD10747

One sez..'Why Victorville?'..later you can go to 'Merced'..
What a vacation spot!!...

Date: 09/04/12 15:03
Author: Amtk509

190mph would be great if it were a true possibility. I had the opportunity to ride the Eurostar last month from London to Paris and was very impressed as we comfortably cruised through the country side at 186mph.

Date: 09/04/12 22:32
Author: GettingShort

Sounds like the scamsters behind this are beginning to see the bottom of the money trough. The closer it gets the lower the speed estimates will become. Then other reductions until by the time they have truly cleaned out the investors, banks, and the boiler room cold calling operations aren't find new suckers, the whole thing will vanish in a puff of smoke.
Oh well for them it sure beats the chicken feed they made selling condo buildings that would never be completed or raising money for gold mines or hard rock oil and gas plays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/12 22:35 by GettingShort.

Date: 09/05/12 05:30
Author: Ray_Murphy

GettingShort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like the scamsters behind this are
> beginning to see the bottom of the money trough.
> The closer it gets the lower the speed estimates
> will become. Then other reductions until by the
> time they have truly cleaned out the investors,
> banks, and the boiler room cold calling operations
> aren't find new suckers, the whole thing will
> vanish in a puff of smoke.

I would say these people have no clue about what it takes to build and maintain a rail infrastructure capable of supporting safe and comfortable 190 mph train operations.

Ray

Date: 09/05/12 23:37
Author: sp5312

The only thing doing 190mph is the hot air coming out of the corporate orifice.

Date: 09/06/12 21:30
Author: lwilton

Well its certainly not being designed by the Federal Government, as God (oops, can't mention him) Intended.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0616 seconds