Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Passenger Trains > Drunk People and Trains DO Mix

Date: 11/22/12 23:14
Drunk People and Trains DO Mix
Author: Amtrakdavis22

We often hear of accidents being caused by people who are under the influence on the road. This does not only apply to car roads, but railroads as well. It seems there are a few alcohol related incidents on the tracks every year where I live. These accidents usually end in sad stories with the moral being, don't be drunk around railroad tracks.

Anyways, after that hard note, I think I have found a way to mix drunk people and trains! The Sierra Northern Beer Train operated out of West Sacramento takes folks on a three hour train ride between Sacramento and Woodland (Yeah try and figure how they stretch it into 3 hours). During this leisurely trip along the Sacramento River and wetlands, these passengers are served alcohol. Many of them were on there third or fourth (or fifth or sixth or... well you get the point) drink by the time the train turned around and headed back towards West Sac. The passengers appear to be having a blast as they stroll through the country side yelling and doing stupid things aboard a train. At least while they are on the train, they should be safe.

The passengers in the open air car were very fun to shoot as they liked to interact with the photographer out there. Every time they saw me, there would be some screaming and yelling (in a good way). Ahh don't you just love drunk people...

Back to the trains. Here Sierra Northern 134 leads an excursion train across the Woodland bridge between Woodland and West Sac. This line is the Sierra Northern Woodland Branch. It is one slooooowwww ride.

Enjoy! Maybe one day you would like to ride this train?

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 11/22/12 23:27
Re: Drunk People and Trains DO Mix
Author: DNRY122

According to my Altamont timetable book, parts of the Woodland line are good for 25 mph, but they probably hold down the speed for this excursion. When I rode the line about 20 years ago, I spotted some of the extra-long ties that dated back to the days of third-rail power--and that came to an end in the 1940s.

Date: 11/22/12 23:42

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to my Altamont timetable book, parts of
> the Woodland line are good for 25 mph, but they
> probably hold down the speed for this excursion.
> When I rode the line about 20 years ago, I spotted
> some of the extra-long ties that dated back to the
> days of third-rail power--and that came to an end
> in the 1940s.

A engineer I know who once worked for SERA told me they have to stretch the trip into 3 hours. Therefore they cruise at 10mph for pretty much the entire trip. If they are coming in too early, they'll slow it down even more. The SERA local that runs must go faster than that.

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 11/23/12 03:00
Author: The_Chief_Way

there's another candidate for BNSF's business train fleet !

Date: 11/23/12 04:21
Author: joemvcnj

The rear coach is a heavily modified LIRR P-S P72 coach

Date: 11/23/12 04:51
Author: coaststarlight99

I just hope those passengers don't get off the train and then drive a car. DUI KILLS. Be safe this holiday season.

Date: 11/23/12 12:19
Author: coach

Do I see welded rail in that first photo?? On this line???

And that 2nd photo? It's great. It also makes me nervous. It was built for lesser trains than what travel it now. Those loaded boxcars of tomato paste out of the Pacific Coast Producer's cannery in Woodland are heavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 12:21 by coach.

Date: 11/23/12 12:30
Author: cchan006

Amtrakdavis22 Wrote:
> Back to the trains. Here Sierra Northern 134 leads
> an excursion train across the Woodland bridge
> between Woodland and West Sac. This line is the
> Sierra Northern Woodland Branch. It is one
> slooooowwww ride.
>
> Enjoy! Maybe one day you would like to ride this
> train?

I wasn't aware of the Beer Train. I think it's a great name, and yes, maybe I'll hop onboard one of these days. Thanks for the fun story and the report!

Date: 11/23/12 15:59
Author: JimBaker

Those open air cars have freight trucks.
Probably rebuilt flat cars or some other.

The ride must be a bit rough --but who cares when your'e 'happy'!

--Jim Baker

Date: 11/23/12 16:35
Author: nhiwwrr

coaststarlight99 Wrote:
> I just hope those passengers don't get off the
> train and then drive a car. DUI KILLS. Be safe
> this holiday season.

This is always my big beef with this type of service on a tourist railroad. You're promoting a family operation, then holding something like this or better yet, they have a club car on regular trips where they serve alcohol at additional fee...they don't mix to me, but the almighty dollar leads the way.

I question the involvement of said operation should someone leave their property and get into an accident... is the operation held accountable just as bars or a homeowner can be for for serving too much to someone?...

Personally, if I was an operator, I'd sooner limit my liability (both on the financial end and publicity end) for involvement in such a case than make a few extra dollars.

Date: 11/23/12 16:38

JimBaker Wrote:
> Those open air cars have freight trucks.
> Probably rebuilt flat cars or some other.
>
> --Jim Baker

If you take away the top canopy they look like some small hoppers. Maybe they once hauled a type of rock but now haul people?

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 11/23/12 18:54
Author: outpost

Rode this train a couple years ago.

SO GLAD I didn't have to view the paint job the whole trip (except when I boarded)!!!

<yuk>
:-@

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds