Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Passenger Trains > Atlantic City Line Question

Date: 12/10/12 17:26
Atlantic City Line Question
Author: CSXT_8437

Good Evening:

How is ridership on the Atlantic City Line? Is it growing or decreasing? Also, are there any long range plans to extend the service to Cape May again?

It is a shame the former CNJ cannot be restored to connect this service with their North Jersey system. I would imagine it is cost prohibitive and environmental permitting would likely be impossible. It is a neat thought, though.

Thank you in advance.

Date: 12/10/12 18:50
Re: Atlantic City Line Question
Author: NYSW1904

Would love to see the former CNJ Southern Division come alive again. Highly unlikely but it would be awesome.

Date: 12/10/12 20:49
Author: pdt

Even before Sandy, NJ couldn't get it's act together to extend Pass service from
Port Morris to Andover, or from Farmingdale/Freehold to the NEC. There are tracks andor dedicated ROW's
for both these lines...And your asking about a line where there are no tracks, and most of the ROW has been
encroached upon?

Date: 12/11/12 04:18

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even before Sandy, NJ couldn't get it's act
> together to extend Pass service from
> Port Morris to Andover, or from
> Farmingdale/Freehold to the NEC. There are tracks
> andor dedicated ROW's
> for both these lines...And your asking about a
> line where there are no tracks, and most of the
> ROW has been
> encroached upon?

I was only asking about long-range plans. I am familiar with the former CNJ Southern Division and former PRSL and have heard rumors in the distant past of eventual restoration. I am not familiar with any other issues NJ Transit faces with service extensions in North Jersey.

Date: 12/11/12 04:35
Author: BaltoJoey

CSXT_8437 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pdt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Even before Sandy, NJ couldn't get it's act
> > together to extend Pass service from
> > Port Morris to Andover, or from
> > Farmingdale/Freehold to the NEC. There are
> tracks
> > andor dedicated ROW's
> > for both these lines...And your asking about a
> > line where there are no tracks, and most of the
> > ROW has been
> > encroached upon?
>
> I was only asking about long-range plans. I am
> familiar with the former CNJ Southern Division and
> former PRSL and have heard rumors in the distant
> past of eventual restoration. I am not familiar
> with any other issues NJ Transit faces with
> service extensions in North Jersey.

This past Summer a conductor told me that a station at Pennsauken would be coming on line.

BaltoJoey

Date: 12/11/12 05:02
Author: chuchubob

BaltoJoey Wrote:

> This past Summer a conductor told me that a
> station at Pennsauken would be coming on line.
>
> BaltoJoey

That's the Pennsauken Transit Center in the Delair section, where passengers will be able to transfer between the AC Line and the River LINE DLRV, scheduled to open in 2013.
file photos from Nov 25

Date: 12/11/12 05:19

Great pictures! Thank you for the information.

Date: 12/11/12 13:55
Author: shoretower

To add a bit of detail to chuchubob's photos, the station pictured is in Delair, NJ, on DeRousse Ave. just west of River Road.

What makes that significant is that PRR had a connection from the PRSL to the Bordentown Secondary just east of that point. It was a high-speed connection about a mile long, in the northeast quadrant of the crossing of the two lines. It ran through what is now a residential neighborhood. You can tell where the ROW was because the houses are newer. There is also a sandstone arch bridge over a creek, which is about all the visible remains of the connection. This is the route the "Nellie Bly" used between Atlantic City and NY. It was always slightly faster than the CNJ via Winslow Junction.

Because the NEC is faster now than in the 1950s, and the Atlantic City Line about as fast, you'll be able to connect through Pennsauken and Trenton in about the same end-to-end time the Nellie Bly took.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0674 seconds