Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak e-ticket -- Do I need to print??

Date: 03/12/13 19:38
Amtrak e-ticket -- Do I need to print??
Author: P

Just booked a day trip on the Lincoln Service for this weekend.

When I made the reservation, I checked the box to get my ticket at the Quiktrak machine, but when my reservation was finished, it sent me a pdf file and asked me to print it. Do I have to print this, or can I just show the conductor the ticket on my Blackberry? TIA

Date: 03/12/13 19:42
Re: Amtrak e-ticket -- Do I need to print??
Author: mstaller

They want to be able to scan the QR code; I've done this right from an iPhone, should be the same.

Date: 03/12/13 19:47
Author: chuchubob

You can still get your ticket from the Quiktrak.

Date: 03/12/13 20:02
Author: wa4umr

When in doubt, print it out.

I took a 6 segment trip last month with a friend. He carried the printed copy of the PDF ticket and I carried it on my I-phone. Sometimes we used the paper ticket and sometimes we used the I-phone. I guess you could also print out a ticket at the kiosk also. It wouldn't hurt anything.

One thing to make sure you do is have your ticket scanned on the first train you board. It's been mentioned on TO before and I was discussing the e-tickets with the conductor and he said that if the first part of your trip is not scanned, the computer will cancel the reservations for the rest of your trip.

Have a great trip.

John

Date: 03/12/13 21:28
Author: ClipX

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just booked a day trip on the Lincoln Service for
> this weekend.
>
> When I made the reservation, I checked the box to
> get my ticket at the Quiktrak machine, but when my
> reservation was finished, it sent me a pdf file
> and asked me to print it. Do I have to print
> this, or can I just show the conductor the ticket
> on my Blackberry? TIA

Just print it from the printer. It's that easy!!!

Date: 03/12/13 21:54
Author: Jaanfo

Really you don't have to have the QR code, but it makes life a lot easier for the train crew. You can display the PDF on your phone or tablet, make sure it's easy to access and zoom in about halfway on the QR code to make it easier for the e-reader to read it. That said, if you're not convinced then take a hard copy and have it ready on your phone and see if they can do it from the phone first.

Date: 03/12/13 22:03
Author: ken15

I printed out my PDF from an outside computer and used the one sheet of paper for two San Joaquins and two Thruway Buses.

I had a separate ticket Stockton - Oakland so I could ride the San Joaquin reroute which turned out to have some 15 railfans aboard including one from Japan who at my request was introduced to the Winterail audience by Vic Neves Saturday afternoon.
He had come the furthest.
ken15

Posted from Android

Date: 03/13/13 04:59
Author: houstonguy2010

You do not need to print it. Been on the Lincoln Service and they simply scan your phone.

Also did a recent multi leg trip in sleepers and they scanned the phone. Works great.

You can also save the PDF to your phone as a file if you want. My Passport app knows when I am at the station and that I have a ticket for that date and automatically brings up my boarding pass. I have to do nothing.

Posted from iPhone

Keith Hunter
FOREST CITY, IA

Date: 03/13/13 06:02
Author: joemvcnj

If you are traveling to Canada, print everything. Customs wants to know when you are leaving. Best to shove paper in front of their face rather than depend on a cellphone signal in God's Country.

Date: 03/13/13 06:21

True if going to Canada it is best to print the ticket. But the poster asked about Lincoln Service. No need to print for that train. And save the file to your phone in case you have no signal. This is the way of the future.

Posted from iPhone

Keith Hunter
FOREST CITY, IA

Date: 03/13/13 06:26
Author: ken15

In addition to my posting above and other postings I remember two passengers across from me on San Joaquin #711 having their phones scanned.

ken15

Posted from Android

Date: 03/13/13 07:49
Author: chs7-321

Amtrak sends you everything you need for travel after you make the reservation, but you can easily also print an "Amtrak"-format ticket from the QuickTrack machine at thr station (my preferred method).

Date: 03/13/13 11:17

I like the system because it gives you options. I prefer to only use the phone for my scan. Some want to print out a copy at home. Others will still want to go to Quik Trak.

Posted from iPhone

Keith Hunter
FOREST CITY, IA

Date: 03/13/13 11:41
Author: chs7-321

houstonguy2010 Wrote:
> I like the system because it gives you options. I
> prefer to only use the phone for my scan. Some
> want to print out a copy at home. Others will
> still want to go to Quik Trak.
>
> Posted from iPhone

At least in this aspect, Amtrak has exceeded many of the European operators (in my experience).

Date: 03/13/13 12:18

This business about your having to chase down the conductor within a certain timeframe, or your whole itinerary goes bye-bye is not acceptable. It's not my Yob.

This is an issue when boarding a southern train in the NEC. They are very sloppy about getting to you while the coach attendants are as anal as ever about seat assignments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/13 12:34 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/13/13 13:33
Author: P

joemvcnj Wrote:
> This business about your having to chase down the
> conductor within a certain timeframe, or your
> whole itinerary goes bye-bye is not acceptable.
> It's not my Yob.
>

If that is actually the new practice, I would 100% agree that there is nothing right about this policy.

Thanks for the replies on the initial question. I will forgoe printing my ticket at least until I get to the originating station. I'll present the image on my phone to the conductor when asked to see if that is acceptable. I will carry the Quiktrak ticket in my pocket as backup.

Now I just need to figure out what I will do with the other 3 hours onboard! The central IL scenery while interesting, is not overly scenic.

Date: 03/13/13 14:42

When you stick the paper ticket in your pocket, don't crease the bar code. Some of their scanners are temperamental, they keep aiming, re-aiming, and no beep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/13 16:01 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/13/13 15:38
Author: jp1822

My recommendation, from recent NE Corridor trips and a long distance trip since the e-ticketing came out:

1) Print out the E-ticket either from home or at the Quik Trak as some gate attendants at NYP still want to see a paper copy. I had a run in with one gate attendant and she finally let me board, but that was only because the train was going to pull out in about 30 seconds!

2) Make sure the conductor comes by and scans the ticket. This is a HUGE flaw in the system.

On a long distance trip, it came to my attention about 6 hours after I boarded that no one came to scan my ticket. This particular train had an onboard service manager, so I told her that "my ticket was not scanned and I still had a return on this reservation." She told me that the conductor and sleeping car attendant go over who is onboard and not onboard the train at some point after departure and do a "bulk log-in" or scan. Nonetheless, she took my e-ticket print out and returned it to me and said it had already been "scaned in."

But on the NEC, I've had to chase down conductors between Newark and New York to ensure my ticket was scanned so my return was not cancelled out. And on the long distance trains, they are more apt at making announcements along the lines of - stay seated till your ticket is scanned!

Date: 03/13/13 16:14

< I had a run in with one gate attendant and she finally let me board, >

Lesson to be learned:
Go down from lower concourse, take the elevator to the platform, or invest $2 in a Red Cap, and avoid the idiot with an attitude gate attendant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds