Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ Transit: electric juice will be on in Hoboken

Date: 03/12/13 16:48
NJ Transit: electric juice will be on in Hoboken
Author: Lackawanna484

NJ Transit has announced that overhead electric service will deliver trains to Hoboken Terminal later this month. Service with electric trains had been suspended following Hurricane Sandy in late October. Diesel train service resumed shortly after the storm, but a flooded and destroyed substation prevented electric service trains.

>>Beginning March 24, evening peak period outbound service from Hoboken will be fully restored and inbound trains during the morning peak period to Hoboken from the Gladstone and Morristown line and Montclair State University will also be fully restored, officials said.

With the substation fixed, NJ Transit rail service will reach 97 percent of its pre-Sandy service level, operating 679 of the 700 weekday trains scheduled prior to the storm, compared to the 658 trains operating today, officials said. <<

I wonder if the repaired substation will be located in the same place, at the same height above sea level?

<http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2013/03/electric_trains_to_roll_in_and.html#incart_river_default&gt;

Date: 03/12/13 17:53
Re: NJ Transit: electric juice will be on in Hoboken
Author: chess

It is my understanding that the sub station has been built significantly higher than the previous one..

Date: 03/12/13 18:01
Author: Out_Of_Service

will NJT be using the dual power electrics for use into Hoboken

Date: 03/12/13 19:22
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Is "electric juice" a different flavor than orange juice?

Date: 03/12/13 20:05
Author: wa4umr

EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is "electric juice" a different flavor than orange
> juice?

I think it is. I think it has more of a bite.

Date: 03/13/13 06:22

wa4umr Wrote:
> EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is "electric juice" a different flavor than
> orange
> > juice?
>
>
> I think it is. I think it has more of a bite.

Maybe even a "jolt" if you chug it.

Date: 03/13/13 07:42
Author: Out_Of_Service

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> wa4umr Wrote:
> -----
> > EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Is "electric juice" a different flavor than
> > orange
> > > juice?
> >
> >
> > I think it is. I think it has more of a bite.
>
>
> Maybe even a "jolt" if you chug it.

it's more than jolt to say the least ... i saw the remnants of a guy who was working with a boom truck that came in contact with the energized wire ... his shoes were smokin ... the incident happened in the 80's in the Zoo tower parking lot where contractors working on a PA DOT a road project involving I76 were staging jersey barriers in the parking lot ... there use to be 2 stub end tracks that ran behind the tower between the EJ and the tower ... the tracks were removed and the parking lot was paved over but the catenary remained in place with the pull poles at the end of the wire ... the contractor operator of the boom truck was unaware of his boom being in close proximity to the trolley wire and the juice (as you all have been referring to ) arced from the wire to the boom energizing the man making contact with the truck and standing on the ground ... like i said ... he was blown right out of his boots which were smoldering in place with the body laying a distance away from them

Date: 03/13/13 08:11

Thanks to everyone for the information.

The dual modes have been operating in and out of Hoboken terminal since it was reopened. They've been on all the Hoboken side lines (and had been before the storm).

The other piece of news tucked into the release was that Gladstone line passengers will regain their direct train service to NY Penn. Because of the lack of electricity on the P&D branch, the trains ran only to Summit or Hoboken.

Lakeland Bus lines has been a scrappy competitor against the Gladstone line trains. Their express service compares favorably to the train in time elapsed. The bus also has access to the "bus lane". It will be interesting to see how many of these passengers stay with them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0667 seconds