Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Passenger Trains > VIA Corridor Trip

Date: 04/01/13 15:26
VIA Corridor Trip
Author: MEKoch

Arrived at Windsor, Ont. VIA station about 4:50 a.m. Nice station! Interior pic attached. 2nd pic shows you walk about 10 feet to trainside!

BUT the parking. Helpful Ticket Agent said that beginning today (4-1-13) parking is no longer free. A parking meter system wanted $13.00 per day - way too steep for my tastes. So I drove to the lot behind the train station - about 50 yds. distant. They wanted $7.00 per day. So I parked there. And walked the 100 feet back. No problem at all.

We boarded about 5:15 a.m. for VIA #70 to Toronto. P-42 #920 + baggage car + 7 HEP coaches in the 4100 series, except 8124, which is part of the Canadian train of 1955. It was not rebuilt, but in good shape.

Train departed on time and arrived in Toronto :01 late. A nice load of people but definitely not sold out. One interesting piece of action enroute: at Komoka, about 10 miles west of London, we joined the mainline from Sarnia. We moved thru the interlocking about 40 mph. Then a minute later on the 2nd main VIA #84 blew by us a good speed. He slowed down after a few miles and we gained speed, passing him before London. After we stopped in London, #84 pulled in beside us, for a cross platform transfer for those persons using the Guelph route.

The VIA food cart arrangement is okay, but I think an Amcafe is superior (I can't believe I am saying this.....). We made food purchases in Toronto, and then boarded #60 to Montreal. This train was a sell-out. We were in the rear of the last car - 8124. "The Whip" Going thru interlockings at 95 mph in the rear car guarantees some bouncy excitement.

After three hours the toilet failed. We arrived in Montreal :11 late.

All in all, a good trip. We had utilized VIA's 50% off sale for the tickets. Our return is Wednesday on #61 - 75.

Date: 04/01/13 15:31
Re: VIA Corridor Trip
Author: Ptolemy

In my experience, you've had to pay (a lot) for parking at Windsor for years--since the 1980s. It was once free (and I mean back in the 1970s) but then about 1985 steep charges were introduced. Yet I have to admit that I haven't left from Windsor in over five years, so perhaps it was free again for a while.

Date: 04/01/13 16:09
Author: joemvcnj

Was 8124 the VIA-1 car ?

Date: 04/02/13 07:42
Author: march_hare

For what it's worth, I pay $12 per day for Amtrak parking at Albany. That's in the stack, out in the boonies, its a couple of bucks cheaper.

What does Windsor airport charge?

Date: 04/02/13 11:11
Author: Lackawanna484

It's $24 a day at Newark NJ Penn Station and in the area

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds