Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Passenger Trains > Help! What is it ?

Date: 06/21/13 16:07
Help! What is it ?
Author: DTrainshooter

I just acquired this California Zephyr item...it is about 8 by 11 inches printed on a thin plastic sheet that is slightly yellowed with age and is translucent. I know it's not from the drumhead on the rear of CZ cars. Possibly from a station sign
near a boarding gate somewhere? I'd love to know if anyone is familiar with it. I've been through all my CZ books and didn't see anything.

Date: 06/21/13 16:16
Re: Help! What is it ?
Author: wjpyper

I don't think it's railroad related. I think it was someone using the name in another context.

Date: 06/21/13 16:16
Author: glcaddis

is it something that marked the departure point from the east side of the bay to the west or vice-versa?

Date: 06/21/13 17:19
Author: prr4828

Looks like the CZ's tailsign to me.

Here's a pic of Silver Solarium at LAPUT:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3071945

* JB *

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/13 17:19 by prr4828.

Date: 06/21/13 17:20
Author: stuporchief

No, the CZ's tail sign included neon illumination.

Date: 06/21/13 17:34

I think it's intended to look like the tail sign but definitely isn't as the lettering was spelled out in neon.

Date: 06/21/13 17:39
Author: agentatascadero

Just a guess, but it looks like what would be posted at the SF WP station, probably posted on a sign pointing to the "train bus". The size would be about right. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 06/21/13 18:52
Author: Topfuel

It's pretty unlikely that this is any kind of an original CZ item. It's more like something that was produced in more recent years for sale at a gift shop somewhere. But yes, it does kinda sorta replicate the appearance of the CZ neon tailsigns.

Date: 06/21/13 19:47

I can tell from the film/plastic that it's printed/painted on that it's pretty old. I've been to a lot of hobby shops and gift shops at museums over the years and don't recall seeing anything like it for sale. Thanks for all the input so far...would love to come across a photo of a sign in a station somewhere that matches up.

Date: 06/21/13 22:41
Author: SN711

I know I have seen that logo used before for the CA Zephyr. Just can't place it. Might have been in the museum at Sacramento. Unfortunately. I don't have any photos of it in use. Could be a station sign. I would definitely hang onto it.

Gary

Date: 06/22/13 00:52
Author: TomCarter

We used to sell them in our museum gift shop way back when (mid-80's). In fact, we still have one or two of them hung on the walls of our Board room at the museum.

Tom Carter
Director, Webmaster
Feather River Rail Society
Western Pacific Railroad Museum
A 501(c)3 Non Profit Corporation
Portola, California
www.wplives.org
tomwcarter@gmail.com

Date: 06/22/13 06:22

Thank you Tom...I'll look for them next time I visit. I'm going to make a light box for it as it looks great lit up.

Date: 06/22/13 10:10
Author: EMD2024

I got one of these years ago and did make a light box for it with a frame that looks like the CZ's drumhead. Makes a good night light.

MWP in CHI

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2157 seconds