Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Passenger Trains > My trip on #3

Date: 11/25/13 15:32
My trip on #3
Author: Woodman

Saturday we boarded #3 at Galesburg about 30 minutes late, but we didn't know why. Other than our car person, who was a little strange and slow, things went well. The train was clean and the rest rooms were clean. I wondered if the cars on our train were not some of the newer rebuilt ones. I have that list but not with me as I type. We arrived in KC about an hour late, and then we were about 2 hrs late in CO. We arrived into ABQ about 1 1/2 late, but most of it was lost due to winter travel. Some snow and cold, but a beautiful ride. I do have a complaint about the dining car and breakfast. We only had two personnel upstairs and a cook down stairs. Neither of the dining car people were dealing with a full deck. I asked four times for water before I got it. Our juice was not right and she had to take it back to get it right, and they were slow. The cook didn't do much better. I got pancakes. I am sure they were precooked, not hot when I got them, and tough through out. For lunch we got cafe food. We return this Saturday and we are trying to decide if we will plan on supper in the diner or not. We are in coach. There was an extra coach on the train and no one was in it. However, the doors were left open from it to the next car. The train was not full so I tried to sleep in the seat behind my wife. The conductor said we would probably fill the seat I was trying to sleep on, but I could go to the last coach and sleep all I wanted. She said she would not bother me. It ended up that 4 of us had the whole coach to sleep in. Also the cafe guy was super, but the prices have gone through the roof. Way too high. Over all I would give our trip on Amtrak as a 9 1/2 out of 10. Looking forward to our return trip Saturday.

Date: 11/25/13 15:45
Re: My trip on #3
Author: pummer

I'll bet Amtrak would love to have satisfaction scores of 9 1/2 from all their passengers. Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Date: 11/25/13 17:24
Author: tacobell

It never ceases to amaze me how ANYONE can get a package of 8-10 hot dogs at the store for, perhaps $1.50 and an equal number of buns for about the same price. Yet, you want a hot dog on Amtrak, be prepared to spend upwards of $6 for JUST ONE! Tell me again how Amtrak is losing money??

Date: 11/25/13 18:01
Author: PHall

tacobell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It never ceases to amaze me how ANYONE can get a
> package of 8-10 hot dogs at the store for, perhaps
> $1.50 and an equal number of buns for about the
> same price. Yet, you want a hot dog on Amtrak, be
> prepared to spend upwards of $6 for JUST ONE! Tell
> me again how Amtrak is losing money??

They're using the same pricing model that they use at airports and sports stadiums.

Date: 11/26/13 13:20
Author: ProAmtrak

Nothing new here on that, hopefully you can have a better dinner in the diner on your way back to Galsburg on No. 4, I know most of the dining crews that work 3 and 4 are pretty good!

Date: 11/26/13 16:43
Author: jp1822

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing new here on that, hopefully you can have a
> better dinner in the diner on your way back to
> Galsburg on No. 4, I know most of the dining crews
> that work 3 and 4 are pretty good!

Many attribute this to the fact that they are based out of LA, instead of Chicago. Not sure if they still are or not for this train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds