Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Passenger Trains > SunRail --Orlando, FL area

Date: 04/23/14 07:01
SunRail --Orlando, FL area
Author: DocJohn

One of the TV stations in Orlando is doing a series on SunRail and comparison with the Lynx Blue Line in Charlotte, NC. See http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/4/22/sunrail_comparison_2.html

John

Date: 04/23/14 07:41
Re: SunRail --Orlando, FL area
Author: ts1457

Interestingly, the article does not mention the difference between commuter rail and light rail.

Lynx has 10 minute headway during peak periods while SunRail is 30 minute. Off peak SunRail can be two hours with Lynx is generally 15 to 20 minutes. Of course SunRail is longer than Lynx, perhaps too long for light rail. What we might need is a modern version of an interurban.

I hadn't kept up with what was going on in Charlotte, but this seems to be a good use of LRT. I wonder if SunRail is going to be a "bridge too far" for commuter rail, like RailRunner has been. I think what might save SunRail is the connection with AAF which will make Sunrail more part of the intercity network.

Date: 04/23/14 13:32
Author: DTrainshooter

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think what might save SunRail is the connection
> with AAF which will make Sunrail more part of the
> intercity network.

That will be quite a ways down the road before there's any rail connection between the two. Looks like a bus ride to get from Sun Rail to MCO for now...

http://business.sunrail.com/welcome/page/tod_aboutsandlake

Date: 04/23/14 19:57
Author: RevRandy

I was at the Orlando station today to pick up rental car (returmimg it there Saturday to get on 98). SumRail service starts in about a week and a test run passed through the station while I was there.

At the AMTRAK Orlando station Sun Rail has meant its own station north of the old Seaboard one AND a new long island platform parallel to the station side canopied one for AMTRAK use.

Pictures show both.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds