Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Passenger Trains > "Drag Race..."

Date: 09/09/14 17:43
"Drag Race..."
Author: aussiehinz

Amtrak Train #383, the "Illinois Zephyr," behind Phase I #156, and an outbound Metra commuter train both round the big curve at Canal Street on their way west on BNSF's busy Chicago Subdivision. Ongoing PTC signal replacement work in the vicinity of "MH" Tower has made for some unusual track assignments of late, including this view of #383 on slower speed Track 3 this afternoon. In the last image, the two Patrick Henry Creative Promotions PV's came in late this afternoon on the rear of Amtrak Train #4, and are shown here turning in front of "MH" at the conclusion of the evening rush hour.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

Date: 09/09/14 19:12
Re: "Drag Race..."
Author: TexasChief

I always enjoy your photos and really appreciate the pictures of our cars. I always try and wave when we come by. The cars will be departing on Thursday with guests going to Emeryville to attend the Bears vs 49ers game Sunday. They purchased the trip as part of a donation at the Chicago Bears Gala in May to raise funds for cancer. Thanks, Patrick Henry

Date: 09/09/14 19:36
Author: RuleG

Your narrative implies that the first and second images show the same train with #156. Yet, the first image shows a 2-car train and the second shows a 3-car train. What's up?

Nice photos, though.

Date: 09/09/14 19:41
Author: F40PHR231

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your narrative implies that the first and second
> images show the same train with #156. Yet, the
> first image shows a 2-car train and the second
> shows a 3-car train. What's up?

First image shows train still coming through the switch, which is why the last car is not quite visible as the other photo.

Date: 09/09/14 19:54

Kind thanks, "TexasChief." They're great looking cars. I was just pulling into my driveway when #4 arrived, in much better afternoon light, so had to wait until the consist came out to turn. By then, the looming front coming toward Chicago had already made history of the afternoon sunshine and promises to bring a stormy Wednesday to Chicagoland. That Bears-49ers trip sure sounds like a fantastic adventure!

Date: 09/09/14 19:56

< "First image shows train still coming through the switch, which is why the last car is not quite visible as the other photo." >

Yes, that's the explanation. The pix are both of the same train, outbound #383.

Date: 09/09/14 20:54
Author: kevink

aussiehinz Wrote:
> That Bears-49ers trip sure sounds
> like a fantastic adventure!

If last Sunday was any indication, the trip will be better than the game....

Date: 09/09/14 21:06
Author: wa4umr

kevink Wrote:
> aussiehinz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
>
> If last Sunday was any indication, the trip will
> be better than the game....

Win or loose, the trip WILL be better than the game. I like football some but I like trains better. I does sound like a great trip and the Henry cars are nothing but nice.

John

Date: 09/09/14 22:38
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics!

Date: 09/11/14 17:52
Author: BuddPullman

I dunno, the bulbous dome on the back of a former UP Astra Dome Observation is too obtrusive. As technology shrinks hardware, that should be the first to go.

Check out the former "Alpine" series Pullman, later a 44 seat coach, ahead of the dome obs. It's 3 small windows in a row, for the former Pullman restroom area (end closest to camera) at one end of the open 14 Section area on UPRR, were left intact first as re-built coaches and later as this private car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds