Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Passenger Trains > PRJ-New York routes

Date: 10/26/14 18:20
PRJ-New York routes
Author: bigmc83

I keep seeing it online, but am wondering if anyone (including Mr. Ellis) could speak as to the CHI-NYC route of Pullman Rail Journeys. My father said he saw somewhere that it is running. I doubt that as the website is not up to date and I don't think he had an accurate source. Really enjoyed the CHI-NOLA trip I took last year, so I'm trying to keep up with this. Thanks!

Sean McCaffery

Date: 10/26/14 18:41
Re: PRJ-New York routes
Author: 1200v

I wonder the same thing and look forward to any knowledgeable answers. I would hope they would consider Boston - Chicago instead - more daylight hours to enjoy the trip - more like real train travel.

Date: 10/26/14 22:27
Author: jp1822

The real void is NYC-Philly-Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Chicago. Void meaning that it would actually add value to an Amtrak route that needs sleepers and such service. However, the Capitol Limited would have to do a little shuffle in Pittsburgh and "be on time" so it could be connected onto the Pennsylvanian. Nicer would be if it could run as an independent train, but I don't think that is in the cards. Likewise, the track at Pittsburgh station is not what it used to be to "easily" facilitate the switching. But it's been said it still could be done without the "switch and bypass track." I leave that for someone else to answer!

Date: 10/27/14 14:08
Author: tehachapi-dave

Only problem with the route using the Pennsylvanian routing is that they switch ends in Philly which would complicate matters. They could run Philly-CHI but NY-CHI via Philly would probably not work. You also have to think that might mean adding a second unit to the Pennsylvanian which would drive costs up even more.

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 10/27/14 18:58

tehachapi-dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only problem with the route using the
> Pennsylvanian routing is that they switch ends in
> Philly which would complicate matters. They could
> run Philly-CHI but NY-CHI via Philly would
> probably not work. You also have to think that
> might mean adding a second unit to the
> Pennsylvanian which would drive costs up even
> more.
>
> Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

And how exactly would that complicate things in Philly? The diesel comes off and electric motor added, eastbound for example and vice versa westbound. Private cars have run on the Pennsylvanian from Philly to NYC and changed ends etc.

I think there is a market between Philly and Chicago, but that's a story for another day. Even Amtrak contemplated converting the Broadway Limited into a Superliner train that would terminate in Philly - knowing that adjustments would have to be made if Superliners operated east of Harrisburg.....

Date: 10/27/14 20:20
Author: tehachapi-dave

The engines are added at opposite ends so you would have to up against the electric from NY-Philly with observation first behind the electric. Not to favorable in my opinion, then again, NY-Philly is only a small portion of the routes so it wouldn't matter as much I guess.

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/14 20:21 by tehachapi-dave.

Date: 10/28/14 09:28
Author: rombout137

Reasons why no CHI-PGH-NYP: No Amtrak switcher or yard crew in PGH, NS refuses to do the switch, not enough time to safely schedule the move from Train 30 to 42, physical plant has changed so any switching move requires a lengthy delay, lack of adequate mechanical personnel in PGH, etc.

Date: 10/30/14 20:53

tehachapi-dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The engines are added at opposite ends so you
> would have to up against the electric from
> NY-Philly with observation first behind the
> electric. Not to favorable in my opinion, then
> again, NY-Philly is only a small portion of the
> routes so it wouldn't matter as much I guess.
>
> Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

It's been done many times!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0669 seconds