Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Passenger Trains > LA Metro Gold Line Fthl Ext. running on trolley power!

Date: 12/16/14 17:14
LA Metro Gold Line Fthl Ext. running on trolley power!
Author: DNRY122

For the first time in over 63 years, an electric railway car ran between Monrovia and Duarte powered by an overhead trolley wire. We were heading for the Honda agency in Monrovia to pick up DN 122 after getting the air bag recall taken care of, and my wife asked, "Where's that rail car you've been talking about?" as we drove along Duarte Rd. in Monrovia. We finally came to it, on the track near Shamrock Ave., and I said, "Look! The pan is up. They may be testing the wire." We were about to turn left onto Mountain Ave., when three LA County Sheriff's patrol cars deployed to block the grade crossing. I looked backward and saw that Metro LRV 731 was moving, and when it came from behind the wall, noted that the HiRail truck that had brought it from Pasadena wasn't near it. Hallelujah! Trolley power has returned to my old home town! The operator cranked it up and it was traveling at good speed by the time it crossed Mountain Ave. and headed for Duarte Station and presumably all the way to the San Gabriel River.

Photo was taken a week ago, with the diesel truck assisting. Today, "Life, powered by Edison" included the test train in Monrovia.

Date: 12/16/14 20:26
Re: LA Metro Gold Line Fthl Ext. running on trolley pow
Author: PasadenaSub

Thanks for the update. I'll have to see if I can get over there this week.

Rich

Date: 12/17/14 00:00

Here it is on Monday, with the pan up, and an extra wide bar TyRapped into place to test clearances.

Date: 12/17/14 14:15
Author: BobP

Love the hi-tech clearance checkers!
Duct tape usage # 83,465.

Date: 12/17/14 16:35
Author: jst3751

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the hi-tech clearance checkers!
> Duct tape usage # 83,465.

My grandfather used to joke: Got something to hold, use duct tape. If that does not work, using binding wire. If that does not work, take a hammer to it. No more problem.

Date: 12/17/14 18:04

"If it moves and it shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should: WD-40." And real HVAC experts advise, "Don't use duct tape for actual air ducts."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds