Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > From the rear of #51... and a question

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/19/14 10:51
From the rear of #51... and a question
Author: inCHI

I'm going to ride #50, The Cardinal, east in coach. I think I've lucked out and it will be clear and sunny from Kentucky to the East Coast after forecasts previously said it would be cloudy. On previous trips it was cloudy, so I'm looking forward to being able to get some better photographs along the way. I've also got a way better camera (especially compared to 2007.)

On previous trips it looks like I got away with spending a lot of time in the "cross country cafe" and having the flexibility to move to either side of the windows because it wasn't too crowded. I feel like certain segments are best viewed from one side or the other.

My question is - what exactly is the cafe/"diner" situation? It is still the half open seating, half reserved setup right? If need be I'll buy coffee all day long to sit in there, I'm just hoping I can.

While looking at old photos, I was surprised to find that in 2010 I was able to stand at the rear of the last amfleet on #51 and got some interesting photos. A selection is posted below, heading east to west.

1. Entering Clifton Forge on the BBRR, with the CSX James River Sub branching off.
2. Clifton Forge Yard
3. I have this labeled as Q698, guess I was listening to the scanner

Date: 12/19/14 10:52
Re: From the rear of #51... and a question

4. Unknown location
5. Thurmond station
6. Thurmond...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 10:53 by inCHI.

Date: 12/19/14 10:53

7. Thurmond... with signals that I think are reported to be gone
8. West end of Thurmond siding?
9. Unknown location

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 10:54 by inCHI.

Date: 12/19/14 10:54

10. Recrew
11. ...
12. New River Gorge Bridge

Date: 12/19/14 10:55

13. New River
14. Hawks Nest Curve
15. Joining the other main track after the bridge

Date: 12/19/14 10:57

16. Unknown crossover
17. More signals
18. Labeled as Gauley

Date: 12/19/14 10:58

19. There is a bad picture of an eastbound coal train (that had the signals) passing before the single main track, but I'm skipping that.
20. Work train
21. Eastbound coal train #2

Date: 12/19/14 11:00

22. Eastbound coal train #3. Lucked out of the motion blur on this one considering it was cloudy, it was an older camera, and I probably didn't even know what shutter speed I was on. The upcoming trip will be much more skilled!
23. End of that train, coming into Charleston I believe. Or maybe Montgomery... in any case, looks like I returned to my seat.

Date: 12/19/14 11:32
Author: firefighter25dfd

16 --- Cotton Hill just east of the station

19 --- Kanawha Falls

20 --- Deepwater

21 --- Mount Carbon

22 --- Eagle

23 --- Arriving in Montgomery

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 11:35 by firefighter25dfd.

Date: 12/19/14 11:51
Author: bluesboyst

Nice... thanks for posting...love that route...

Date: 12/19/14 12:31
Author: fulham

Just finished a trip on #50 from Chicago to Washington. I was in sleeper and the "diner" part of the diner-lounge was pretty efficient. With only one half full sleeper, our SCA would ask me what time I wanted to eat and I would show up and be served. LSA in diner was friendly and efficient. The cafe side of the car was busy but I am sure there were times tables were open. Only ordered a few items from the cafe part of the car and did not spend anytime at the tables. It was a good trip with the only complaints being 4 hours late into Washington, and my biggest gripe, that being dirty windows when we left Chicago! Don't know if the consist never went through the wash rack, or the fact that it was cleaned upon arriving in Chicago on Monday, and then sat until Tuesday when the weather was foggy and misty. Hope you have a good trip, and let me know if the windows are clean when you leave Chicago.

Date: 12/19/14 18:00
Author: railaddict

I have never left Chicago on #50 the 5 or so times I have ridden it when it has been through the wash rack. It is always dirty.

Date: 12/19/14 18:22
Author: fulham

That is ridiculous...if they wash the other trains why not the Cardinal? The train goes through some of the best scenery in the east and they can't wash the damn windows. That is an issue that needs to be fixed!

Date: 12/19/14 18:43
Author: atsf121

That looks like such a beautiful ride, too bad that can't keep the windows clean.

Nathan

Date: 12/19/14 20:28
Author: AndyBrown

Riding Amtrak is a crapshoot each and every time.

You're photos are great; I too love shooting from the rear window.

I haven't been on the Cardinal since before I was a photographer but hope to ride it again. Sleeper prices pushed us out of the market on our trip east in Sept. and we ended up riding the Capitol.

Andy

Date: 12/20/14 01:27
Author: Orient

Looking at photo 6, then googlemaps, I have to ask the question, would it be so much to just make that short 200 ft stretch double track?

Date: 12/20/14 06:12
Author: mp51w

That Thurmond shot is cool! Makes me want ride a train on one of those diverging tracks. The Cardinal is a slam dunk for scenery thru West Virginia!

Date: 12/20/14 08:17
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch, but what the heck is that car with headlights in shot two? If it's a "shoving platform" it's the biggest and most elaborate I have seen thus far.
JB

Date: 12/20/14 08:29
Author: PHall

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great bunch, but what the heck is that car with
> headlights in shot two? If it's a "shoving
> platform" it's the biggest and most elaborate I
> have seen thus far.
> JB

RCL car. Has a generator and the black boxes for Remote Control Locomotive operations.
Since it can lead it also has a headlight, ditch lights, a horn and a bell in addition to the RCL strobe lights.
UP did the same thing with their retired GE's.

Date: 12/20/14 10:12
Author: tq-07fan

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 10. Recrew
> 11. ...
> 12. New River Gorge Bridge

West end of Fayette, a siding on the number 1 track that is under the New River Bridge. Here is a shot, from June 04 2010 shot from the road crossing. As many times as I have road the Cardinal I never thought to take pictures out the back. Now a lot of those signals are gone.

Jim

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds